Lance Camelback

"Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "curt" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > No one in there right mind would use a Camelback that is a real racer.

They
> > retain heat and are a very poor invention. Water belongs on the bicycle

not
> > on your body. They are stupid.

> Coggan's mentioned using a Camelback full of ice water under the jersey
> for races on very hot days - not to drink from, but to keep cool.
> Lance could have used one in last years hot TT, I bet.
>
> I don't love camelbacks but they have their uses. If you are going on
> a several hour ride where there may not be water sources they can be

useful.
> Of course, this is a bigger problem during long offroad rides or races.
> Also people sometimes use them in MTB races if they prefer not taking
> a hand off the bars to drink, or don't like the way the bottle gets dirty,
> or only have space on the frame for one bottle cage (problem for women
> and shorter guys). Obviously none of this applies to Lance - that was
> just his radio.

It's also hard to keep a bottle on your bike due to the hits it's taking
during MTB races. The other solution is to stick the bottles in a jersey
pocket but you gotta be pretty damn quick at it or slow enough to take the
time to mess with it all. Also, the weight in your jersey pockets makes it
awkward when cleaning obstacles.

Dave

Thanks guys but I still think either Lance has a weird shaped back or aero
padding was involved. Can't otherwise think why Phil Liggett would be
banging on about the £££'s spent in developing what is basically a skin
tight lycra suit....

"Kurt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "curt" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Keep in mind, I was talking about real cyclists, not someone that

doesn't
> > have the coordination to reach for a water bottle while riding. Never
> > thought about that, so for those who don't spend much time on their
> > bicycles, Camelbacks are fine, but for those of us who ride all the

time,
> > they are just a heat conductor and add to a higher weight distribution.
> >
> > Curt
> >

> So I guess Julich is stupid, uncoordinated, and isn't a "real" cyclist?
>
> Kurt

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:10:15 +0000 (UTC), "Fil"
<S*n*a*p*p*a*t*i*o*n*a*[email protected]> wrote:

>Thanks guys but I still think either Lance has a weird shaped back or aero
>padding was involved.

It's a spoiler to give him down force on the downhill turns.

All kidding aside, there does seem to be something sticking up on his
lower back.

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:10:15 +0000 (UTC), "Fil"
<S*n*a*p*p*a*t*i*o*n*a*[email protected]> wrote:

>Thanks guys but I still think either Lance has a weird shaped back or aero
>padding was involved. Can't otherwise think why Phil Liggett would be
>banging on about the £££'s spent in developing what is basically a skin
>tight lycra suit....

There should be at least 10 more opportunities to watch the episode of the Lance
Chronicles where they show them testing the suit and putting the widget thing in
the back. No, make that 20 more times.

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx

It is the two way radio.
news:[email protected]...

curt <[email protected]> wrote:
> Keep in mind, I was talking about real cyclists, not someone that doesn't
> have the coordination to reach for a water bottle while riding. Never
> thought about that, so for those who don't spend much time on their
> bicycles, Camelbacks are fine, but for those of us who ride all the time,
> they are just a heat conductor and add to a higher weight distribution.

I bow to your extensive off-road riding and racing experience.

Oh yeah, speaking of riding all the time, aren't you the guy
that was asking RBR a few months ago about how to train to ride
a century someday?

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

Ben
used bottles in MTB races but didn't smack-talk people with
camelbacks

Pistof wrote:

> It's also hard to keep a bottle on your bike due to the hits it's taking
> during MTB races.

Ever try a King Ti cage? They are like a virgin every time.

"Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Pistof wrote:
> >> It's also hard to keep a bottle on your bike due to the hits it's

taking
> >> during MTB races.

> gwhite wrote:
> > Ever try a King Ti cage? They are like a virgin every time.

> With a sales pitch like that you should consider a career as a pimp.

As cheap as PomPom has portrayed himself, I can't believe he'd let go of the
$$ for a King Ti bottle cage.

gwhite wrote:

> Pistof wrote:
>

>>It's also hard to keep a bottle on your bike due to the hits it's taking
>>during MTB races.

> Ever try a King Ti cage? They are like a virgin every time.

McEwen and Hamilton should consider CamelBaks.

Dan

Carl Sundquist wrote:

> "Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...

> taking

> > gwhite wrote:
> > > Ever try a King Ti cage? They are like a virgin every time.

> > With a sales pitch like that you should consider a career as a pimp.
> >

> As cheap as PomPom has portrayed himself, I can't believe he'd let go of the
> $$ for a King Ti bottle cage.

Ah, but did they really cost more when it is *all* counted? IOW, they last a _long_ time too. No
fatigued/cracked aluminum cage, no lost water bottles at $4 a pop, no marring of the bottles...
Initial capital cost is high though, as you rightly point out. It is stone cold calculus my friend.

Donald Munro wrote:

> Pistof wrote:
> >> It's also hard to keep a bottle on your bike due to the hits it's taking
> >> during MTB races.

> gwhite wrote:
> > Ever try a King Ti cage? They are like a virgin every time.

> With a sales pitch like that you should consider a career as a pimp.

Any career change is welcome from my brain dead cube jockey job. Thanks for the encouragement.