Lance centerpull brake?

<< Scroll to the bottom and look at this front brake on LA's TT bike - the return of the centerpull?
>><BR><BR>

Old 'AX' brake..hopefully he won't wear out the pads...

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:10:06 GMT, "Kyle.B.H" <[email protected]> may
have said:

>Scroll to the bottom and look at this front brake on LA's TT bike - the return of the centerpull?
>
>http://www.lancearmstrong.com/lance/online2.nsf/html/2004ttbike
>
>What do you think the reasoning is behind this - more aerodynamic cable routing?

Take a second look. Those are damned strange. I think there must be a triangular wedge that's pulled
upward by the cable to push the arms out.

Kyle.B.H wrote:

> Scroll to the bottom and look at this front brake on LA's TT bike - the return of the centerpull?
>
> http://www.lancearmstrong.com/lance/online2.nsf/html/2004ttbike
>
> What do you think the reasoning is behind this - more aerodynamic cable routing?

Bingo.

Technically, it's a "roller cam" not a "centerpull."

You can read all about it in the 1982 Shimano catalogue at:

http://sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/07.html

Sheldon "Everything Old Is New Again" Brown +--------------------------------------+
| I build my cars to go, not to stop. | --Ettore Bugatti |
+--------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

> Technically, it's a "roller cam" not a "centerpull."
>
> You can read all about it in the 1982 Shimano catalogue at:
>
> http://sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/07.html

ha:

"...painstakingly developed by Shimano's engineers..."

shouldn't that read "...by tearing apart a set of modolo kronos ("kronos: you'll never stop in
time!") and figuring out how to make them almost work."

thanks for putting that catalog up, sheldon. oh, the snake oil we used to buy! terribly inferior to
the snake oil we're buying now!

fc

"Kyle.B.H" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Scroll to the bottom and look at this front brake on LA's TT bike - the return of the centerpull?
>
> http://www.lancearmstrong.com/lance/online2.nsf/html/2004ttbike
>
> What do you think the reasoning is behind this - more aerodynamic cable routing?
>
> Kyle

Lance has used the Dura Ace AX front brake on his time trial bikes for years. The AX group was only
made for a couple of years, '82~'83 and was the first attempt at 'aero'-izing components. Compared
to a conventional front brake and cable, I suppose the AX front brake is more 'aero'. The brakes are
pretty though, somewhat Campy Delta-sih. For a better pic, go here:
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/Tommasini/Tomm_AX_prts.htm

Fred Clydesdale <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Technically, it's a "roller cam" not a "centerpull."
> >
> > You can read all about it in the 1982 Shimano catalogue at:
> >
> > http://sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/07.html
>
> ha:
>
> "...painstakingly developed by Shimano's engineers..."
>
> shouldn't that read "...by tearing apart a set of modolo kronos ("kronos: you'll never stop in
> time!") and figuring out how to make them almost work."
>
> thanks for putting that catalog up, sheldon. oh, the snake oil we used to buy! terribly inferior
> to the snake oil we're buying now!
>
> fc

Yeah but didn't Campagnolo come along a few years later and invent the Delta brake. I reckon there
are certain ideas that everyone thinks are great and the next big thing so everyone has to take a
shot at figuring them out. And the fact no one ever does figure them out doesn't deter the next guy
from trying.

Kyle.B.H wrote:
> Scroll to the bottom and look at this front brake on LA's TT bike - the return of the centerpull?
>
> http://www.lancearmstrong.com/lance/online2.nsf/html/2004ttbike
>
> What do you think the reasoning is behind this - more aerodynamic cable routing?

this loads faster: http://tinyurl.com/3fehh

That's a Shimano DuraAce AX parapull brake, BR-7300. Nice choice for a time trial- very aero and
stops adequately ( not that you care in a TT)

Actually a good choice any time aero matters. Braking on pavement just isn't all that demanding of
the equipment, so pretty much any brake will do.

I'm of the opinion that minor aero or 'performance' gains are mostly in the rider's head. And if the
rider feels good about it, believes the equipment is better/faster/more aero, with no deleterious
aspects, why the heck not?

Fred Clydesdale <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Technically, it's a "roller cam" not a "centerpull."
> >
> > You can read all about it in the 1982 Shimano catalogue at:
> >
> > http://sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/07.html
>
> ha:
>
> "...painstakingly developed by Shimano's engineers..."
>
> shouldn't that read "...by tearing apart a set of modolo kronos ("kronos: you'll never stop in
> time!") and figuring out how to make them almost work."
>
> thanks for putting that catalog up, sheldon. oh, the snake oil we used to buy! terribly inferior
> to the snake oil we're buying now!
>
> fc

I can recall Shimano's Wayne Stetina call the AX units "death brakes". They were definitely superior
to the Modolo Kronos, though- I can recall seeing a bin of broken Kronos calipers a few years back.

Pure, sweet, snake oil indeed.

Jeff "some memories are better left buried" Wills