Lance Competitive in Kona Tri World Championships Dave Scott doesn't thinks so!

Lance Armstrong wants to compete in Hawaii's Ironman - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL Home

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Lance Armstrong has a new challenge, and it involves competing in Hawaii. The seven-time Tour de France winner wants to compete in the Hawaii Ironman in Kona, in either 2011 or 2012. Armstrong says the year depends on if this year or next year will be his final Tour de France.
The 38-year-old says he wants to compete for fun, but thinks it's possible to finish in the top ten. He ran marathons, was a swimmer as a child, and a national-level triathlete in his late teens.

Armstrong was at the famous 1989 Hawaii Ironman, when Americans mark Allen and Dave Scott dueled to finish less than a minute with of each other.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
looks as if we may have to postpone the entire thing anywho.

roadhouse said:
hehe, you said Big Lance and a better question, why hasn't any triathlete been invited or attempted a Tour?

Totally different sports, amigo. And that's a red herring reply to my question. The topic you started is Lance's ability to win triathlons, not Chrissie Wellington's ability to podium in the Tour de France.

oldbobcat said:
Totally different sports, amigo. And that's a red herring reply to my question. The topic you started is Lance's ability to win triathlons, not Chrissie Wellington's ability to podium in the Tour de France.

and that's a harpooned blue whale of a response to my question with a caught in a barrier reef can of chunk light tuna reverse phsycology kind of post , all in all.

roadhouse said:
and that's a harpooned blue whale of a response to my question with a caught in a barrier reef can of chunk light tuna reverse phsycology kind of post , all in all.

All in all.

roadhouse said:
nope. $1000.00 or nothing.

I've played enough poker to know a bluff when I see one.

Done. $1000 it is.

Sadly I also know a welcher when I read one...

roadhouse said:
Ace high. I win. done.

RH appears to be the kind of guy/girl that has a answer for everything, always making jokes at a party, and sadly, probably having few or no friends, and the last to be picked a school to join in on sporting events.

And please read your messages before you send them out RH. Your impoverished level of spelling and grammar is brutal. If you are still in Grade school then please accept my apologies.

Oh, and if you would like to use any logic in the future rather than continuing to shout the loudest or using "Big Lance" in most sentences that would be more interesting. I would really like to argue various points with you but when all you do is rifle back unarguable points without thought or reason it is impossible. A bit like the fighting wars of religion with neither side being accommodating, an eternal war.

....get ready, here comes a immature response from RH. Please surprise me.

UR

LOL! +1 ullrichrules !

I'll wait for a response as well. I do owe a big apology to everyone on this forum for continuing this nonsense, but sometimes I just can't help to be amused and crack myself up by messing with him. Consider this my last post in association with Roadhouse.

My apologies too! I shouldn't behave like that. My last response to < snip > RoadHouse.

Sorry, slipped. love the website though.

UR out.

ullrichrules said:
RH appears to be the kind of guy/girl that has a answer for everything, always making jokes at a party, and sadly, probably having few or no friends, and the last to be picked a school to join in on sporting events.

And please read your messages before you send them out RH. Your impoverished level of spelling and grammar is brutal. If you are still in Grade school then please accept my apologies.

Oh, and if you would like to use any logic in the future rather than continuing to shout the loudest or using "Big Lance" in most sentences that would be more interesting. I would really like to argue various points with you but when all you do is rifle back unarguable points without thought or reason it is impossible. A bit like the fighting wars of religion with neither side being accommodating, an eternal war.

....get ready, here comes a immature response from RH. Please surprise me.

UR

it'd be aN immature response.

So I thought I'd add some stats to this page...

The Kona Bike Course records are:

2006 – Normann Stadler (GER) – 4:18:23
1993 – Paula Newby-Fraser (ZIM) – 4:48:30

So Lance has to crack 4:08:23 on the bike course AND win overall to make Roadhouse rich. That's a 43.47km/h 180km TT! A pretty tall ask - hell it would almost be worth $1000 to see that.

I'm fairly confident though - the downside of "win or nothing" bets is that weather, a puncture, a crash, a bad day, health, injury etc all mean $1000 in my pocket.

I hope your faith is strong Roadie...

It'll be interesting to workout exactly what sort of pace he would need to maintain to gain that 20 -30 minutes he will likely need on the top runners ie. Crowie, given he'll likely be bout 5 minutes behind after the swim....this is all asumption though

Working on last year winner crowie, who rode roughly a 4:38 ride time which equates to roughly 39km/h, to beat that by 20 he'd be riding at roughly 42km/h, and 30 43.5km/h, now thats would be incredibly difficult to achieve given the tough winds and all the time conserving enough energy to run a likely sub 3:10 marathon. Once again this is all asumption

Eldron said:
So I thought I'd add some stats to this page...

The Kona Bike Course records are:

2006 – Normann Stadler (GER) – 4:18:23
1993 – Paula Newby-Fraser (ZIM) – 4:48:30

So Lance has to crack 4:08:23 on the bike course AND win overall to make Roadhouse rich. That's a 43.47km/h 180km TT! A pretty tall ask - hell it would almost be worth $1000 to see that.

I'm fairly confident though - the downside of "win or nothing" bets is that weather, a puncture, a crash, a bad day, health, injury etc all mean $1000 in my pocket.

I hope your faith is strong Roadie...

thanks for the new wheelset.

Steve Larsen (RIP) was an elite level rider who made the switch over to tri and came real close to winning the Iron Man. I don't know if it was his first attempt but I remember watching it on TV. He got out of the water near the leaders, smoked the bike leg and put him self in the lead. He did fade in the run but I think he still finish top five.

That all being said, who knows? If he can get out of the swim near the front I'm sure he could open a big lead on the bike. It depends on how bad he fades in the run and I read somewhere that the run was always his weak point.

How strick is the testing?

What, may I ask, in the hell does 1988 distric3champ mean exactly, sir? You're not Lance, are you? :D

How many Tours did this other guy have under belt and in what fashion were those Tours won in? Phenominal fashion or teamsmack? :D :cool:

No I'm not Lance and not a blind Kool Aid drinking yellow wrist band wearing fan either. I was just mentioning that another ex-pro rider, that wasn't even at Armstrong's level came close to winning.

1988dist3champ said:
No I'm not Lance and not a blind Kool Aid drinking yellow wrist band wearing fan either. I was just mentioning that another ex-pro rider, that wasn't even at Armstrong's level came close to winning.

myself as well as you will never will need the likes of a simple yellow bracelot to realize just what all the man has done, been through, accomplished in amazing form and will accomplish yet. a true Ironman tens times over already and the day someone asks one more time if Big Lance needs to qualify for Kona is the day i denounce the common triathlete way of mind in general...oh, wait.

i knew what you were getting at and i was simply underlining the same fact in different words.

I think there are certain fans about which Armstrong would say, "Please don't be on my side. Your sycophantic protestations make me feel a bit too much like Jim Jones."