Lance Competitive in Kona Tri World Championships Dave Scott doesn't thinks so!

alienator said:
I think there are certain fans about which Armstrong would say, "Please don't be on my side. Your sycophantic protestations make me feel a bit too much like Jim Jones."

not even sure if i'm a fan of Lance Armstrong so to say moreso that there's just no taking no for an answer from the man and that i connect with.

jim jones who?

Steve Larsen finished 9th in Hawaii in 2001 with a bike time of 4:33 and an over all time of 8:56 ( An amazing effort ) he was 26 minutes behind the winner. These days the winners do it in about 8:15 to 8:20.

Scotttri said:
Steve Larsen finished 9th in Hawaii in 2001 with a bike time of 4:33 and an over all time of 8:56 ( An amazing effort ) he was 26 minutes behind the winner. These days the winners do it in about 8:15 to 8:20.

Big Lance in 8:10 - 8:15.

Has Lance defined what his being competitive means? If it means finishing in the top half of all competitors including women, I would say he can accomplish that. If it means finishing in the top 50, I don't know.
Why are we worrying about something over 2 years away? As somone earlier pointed out Lance is not DOG spelled backwards.

burninglegs said:
Has Lance defined what his being competitive means? If it means finishing in the top half of all competitors including women, I would say he can accomplish that. If it means finishing in the top 50, I don't know.
Why are we worrying about something over 2 years away? As somone earlier pointed out Lance is not DOG spelled backwards.

you're fishing, ain'tcha? yes, DOG spelled backwards is Lance. more than competing equals about the same as those seven (eight by my count) Tour victories. He will win Kona.

Still don't like fishing. If Lance even attempts the Kona Tri, he is going to get dogged bigtime.
He may be happy with his effort, but he will just be a celebrity entrant.

Scotttri said:
Honestly I think thats all he will aim to be

he's already said, or rather carmicheal has said, that he, Armstrong, is in it to do more than just win his ag. and carmichael also said with a huge smile on his face that he himself, carmichael, has been to Kona in 2000 when he coached peter reed who went on to win that year. go figure.:cool: there's vid of it

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKhIhHyAXVA[/ame]

and here, just for sh!ts and giggles and a reminder of exactly who we are speaking of
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByyAxdjjn8o&feature=channel[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLQrO0l4gjY&feature=channel[/ame]
i don't see Big Lance not giving it his everything come that day and we all know what his all leads to.

you people sure are fun though.:)

Oh.....well that cinches it: Carmichael said "it" with a huge smile on his face. Well if there's ever been definitive proof......................................that's not it.

alienator said:
Oh.....well that cinches it: Carmichael said "it" with a huge smile on his face. Well if there's ever been definitive proof......................................that's not it.

i like how you straight out use my same way of speaking as in how i said the exact same thing to scotttri yesterday, "if you said it then it must be true...". howsabout seven tour vitories along with Peter Reed winning Kona.. some peoples' words are worth their weight in gold.

Still reckon he's an extreme long shot, sure fitness certainly isn't a problem, and he has the background, if he'd done ironmans from the start he'd probably be one of the greats, but still not convinced he can beat them now....!! ( Opinions are like assholes though )

Here is Chris Carnmichael's resposne:

CNA: And the reports of Lance in the 2011 Ironman. What are your thoughts on how he will go?

Chris: It’s a little early to start speculating about that… however Lance did start his career as a tri-athlete before switching to cycling

Full interview here:

Interview: Chris Carmichael Part Two

roadhouse said:
howsabout seven tour vitories along with Peter Reed winning Kona.. some peoples' words are worth their weight in gold.

That will have been six years ago.

oldbobcat said:

man, when you decide to go fishing, it's usually deep sea, i see. :)

i have one thousand dollars saying that time is of no importance to Big Lance Armstrong, he's only been warming up anywho.

oldbobcat said:

Excellent point.

While winning 7 TdF's is no small achievement, it also has acknowledged that the TdF isn't a sporting event for individuals. At least in the last 20+ years, winning has required the help of the rest of a rider's team. It's a mistake to say that a rider won by his sheer physical prowess. Without the team, the rider wouldn't be there. There have been quite a few riders who won who weren't the strongest rider in the Tour.

The Ironman isn't a team sport, obviously. Moreover the Ironman, IMHO, requires a physical effort that isn't required in the TdF. The triathletes at Kona ride nearly a Grand Tour stage distance. Then on top of that, they swim a few miles, and have to endure the pounding of running a marathon distance. Perhaps the older TdF's, when Desgrange was still around imagining ways to break men, were comparable given their sometimes huge distances, bad mountain roads, and the unavailability of 10 speed cassettes.

Armstrong also won't have runners there soley to pace him, as he did in the NY Marathon.

I'm sure he can and, if he does race there, will complete the course. The way things look right now, though, he won't be winning.