Lance could win 10 in a row

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Karhu, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Karhu

    Karhu Guest

    In 2008 Lance will be just 36... That's not too old to be a competetive cyclist, just look at world
    champion Mario Cippolini.

    Tags:

  2. Drew Cutter

    Drew Cutter Guest

    He will need to "reload" his team with new talent if he want to win more tdf.

  3. Ed-D

    Ed-D Guest

    "Drew Cutter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > He will need to "reload" his team with new talent if he want to win more tdf.

    I'm going to go on record as predicting that Lance will absolutely not win anywhere near 10
    tours in a row.

  4. On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:10:16 -0400, Drew Cutter <[email protected]> wrote:
    >He will need to "reload" his team with new talent if he want to win more tdf.
    Next year Postal will have Mayo and Ullrich going back to the car to bring him water.

  5. David Ryan

    David Ryan Guest

    Ed-D wrote:

    > "Drew Cutter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > He will need to "reload" his team with new talent if he want to win more tdf.
    > >

    > I'm going to go on record as predicting that Lance will absolutely not win anywhere near 10 tours
    > in a row.

    Candyass... :)

  6. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    I don't understand people griping about USPS signing great riders. Can anyone point me to a document
    that shows the payrolls of pro cycling teams? If USPS's is significantly greater than anyone elses's
    you have a point. If its not, you have none. A Red Sox fan has a legitimate gripe about the Yankees
    buying the best talent in baseball - their payroll dwarfs that of most other teams. But until
    someone can prove to me that these great riders are riding for USPS for much more money than they
    could elsewhere, I have to believe that they are simply thrilled to be part of a TDF winning
    campaign, and you can't complain about that.

    Kyle

    "Johannes Krackencow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:10:16 -0400, Drew Cutter <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >He will need to "reload" his team with new talent if he want to win more tdf.
    > Next year Postal will have Mayo and Ullrich going back to the car to bring him water.

  7. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, KBH <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I don't understand people griping about USPS signing great riders. ...I have to believe that they
    > are simply thrilled to be part of a TDF winning campaign, and you can't complain about that.

    Beltran and Pena must feel like the luckiest guys in the race.

    -WG

  8. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, KBH <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I don't understand people griping about USPS signing great riders. ...I have to believe that they
    > are simply thrilled to be part of a TDF winning campaign, and you can't complain about that.

    Beltran and Pena must feel like the luckiest guys in the race.

    -WG

  9. Peter Allen

    Peter Allen Guest

    "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I don't understand people griping about USPS signing great riders. Can anyone point me to a
    > document that shows the payrolls of pro cycling teams? If USPS's is significantly greater than
    > anyone elses's you have a point. If its not, you have none. A Red Sox fan has a legitimate gripe
    > about the Yankees buying the best talent in baseball - their payroll dwarfs that of most other
    > teams. But until someone can prove to me that these great riders are riding for USPS for much more
    > money than they could elsewhere, I have to believe that they are simply thrilled to be part of a
    > TDF winning campaign, and you can't complain about that.

    Cyclingnews seems to think USPS has a budget about half again that of most other teams - see their
    bit about Euskaltel team (which is run on a much smaller budget).

    USPS does have a very good team, certainly - but probably not as good as ONCE's team last year,
    especially in the mountains (and with Heras not anywhere near last year's form). There've been four
    stages where Lance has really done well having his team this year: the TTT, of course, the stage to
    Alpe d'Huez where Beltran's acceleration burnt off Ullrich (although that was mis-paced and a bit
    lucky), and the two stages in the Pyrenees where USPS put someone high on GC in the breaks so other
    teams had to do the chasing. Last year USPS had Rubiera and Heras pulling Lance most of the way up
    all the climbs, dropping most of the contenders and stopping attacks from happening, leaving Lance a
    relatively easy last attack to the finish.

    The main problem with last year was that the second strongest guy in the race was Heras, who of
    course wasn't allowed to compete.

    Peter

  10. Bird

    Bird Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:39:20 GMT, karhu <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In 2008 Lance will be just 36... That's not too old to be a competetive cyclist, just look at world
    >champion Mario Cippolini.

    Chippolini is not a competetive cyclist. He's just a good sprinter, that's all.

    Groet, Arne Vogel

  11. Smiles

    Smiles Guest

    "Bird" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:39:20 GMT, karhu <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >In 2008 Lance will be just 36... That's not too old to be a competetive cyclist, just look at
    > >world champion Mario Cippolini.
    >
    > Chippolini is not a competetive cyclist. He's just a good sprinter, that's all.

    And therefore competitive at sprints ... so he IS a competitive cyclist;-)

    Also is it my imagination but was competitive spelled wrong by both of the above posters??

    s http://boardnbike.com

  12. Bird

    Bird Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:28:50 -0400, "smiles" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Bird" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    >> Chippolini is not a competetive cyclist. He's just a good sprinter, that's all.

    >And therefore competitive at sprints ... so he IS a competitive cyclist;-)

    I haven't seen him in Paris.

    >Also is it my imagination but was competitive spelled wrong by both of the above posters??

    Damn, you're right :)

    Groet, Arne Vogel