Lance donates to Haiti quake victims

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
ninemsn said:
Cycling champion Lance Armstrong is calling on the global community to help earthquake victims in Haiti, pledging $US250,000 ($A270,000) to the Caribbean nation.

Up to 100,000 people are feared dead after the 7.0 magnitude quake struck Haiti on Wednesday.

Armstrong, in Adelaide to compete in the Tour Down Under, said on Thursday the poverty-stricken nation did not need any more problems on top of those it already struggled with.

"Over the years with political turmoil, poverty and now the earthquake it's devastating," he told reporters.

"On behalf of Livestrong (Armstrong's cancer charity) we'll be donating $US250,000 ($A270,000) to several organisations that are doing a lot of work down there, one of which is the Clinton Foundation."

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has cancelled her upcoming visit to Australia following the disaster.

"This is really when the global community has to step up and recognise that we're very fortunate and sometimes we have to reach out," Armstrong said.

Oprah Winfrey, Paris Hilton and Ben Stiller are among other celebrities and artists urging support for survivors.

Armstrong joins calls for quake relief

Lance donates to Haiti quake victims - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Lance Armstrong pledges $250K to Haiti | News.com.au

Lance Armstrong - Armstrong Donates $250,000 To Haitian Relief - Contactmusic News

If my understanding is correct, the $250000 is Livestrong's money so people who have given money to Livestrong foundation deserve the thanking.

poulidor said:
If my understanding is correct, the $250000 is Livestrong's money so people who have given money to Livestrong foundation deserve the thanking.

I'm sure they're happy to see it going to a worthy course, most LSF supporters wouldn't be hung up on who's supposedly taken drugs or who hasn't or who's pets nickname has or hasn't appeared on some doctors notepad.

No. It seems that, by donating money to Livestrong, people give money to Armstrong who does what ever he wants with that money.

poulidor said:

uhm, if there wasn't a Lance Armstrong who has done what he has done and started a foundation than i doubt that these poeple's money would've ever made it past the thought of wanting to get to these victims. thank your lucky stars you have two feet cause you still have another one you can eat. :eek:

Andrija said:
No. It seems that, by donating money to Livestrong, people give money to Armstrong who does what ever he wants with that money.

That's a pretty crass statement. Doubly so since you seem completely unaware of laws governing charitable organizations here. I think it shows you can't separate your bias from critical thought.

As Steve said, it's likely that donors would favor the move. With some fatality estimates reaching 100,000 and given the poverty for which Haiti is known, the money is well needed. What's not needed are small minds trying to use the situation to make personal attacks and infantile doping accusations.

alienator said:
That's a pretty crass statement. Doubly so since you seem completely unaware of laws governing charitable organizations here. I think it shows you can't separate your bias from critical thought.

As Steve said, it's likely that donors would favor the move. With some fatality estimates reaching 100,000 and given the poverty for which Haiti has known the money is well needed. What's not needed are small minds trying to use the situation to make personal attacks and infantile doping accusations.

+1. well said.

alienator said:

As Steve said, it's likely that donors would favor the move. With some fatality estimates reaching 100,000 and given the poverty for which Haiti is known, the money is well needed. What's not needed are small minds trying to use the situation to make personal attacks and infantile doping accusations.
That's right.
But we don't need undeserved publicity, raised on someone else's money, either.

Andrija said:
That's right.
But we don't need undeserved publicity, raised on someone else's money, either.

Nice over generalized statement, so generalized it means nothing. Who was out to get publicity? Armstrong announced that money was being donated on behalf of Livestrong. Moreover, his statement was also about more money being needed to be raised to help people in Haiti, a statement just like other charities have made. There was no self-glorification.

You can't separate your own bias from reality. That shows a lack of critical thought skills. You presume stuff that's not in evidence. Further, you don't seem to get the whole charity thing. You don't know how they operate, nor the rules under which they have to operate. You should come up with something substantial or factual if you're going to try to make baseless claims.

alienator said:
Nice over generalized statement, so generalized it means nothing. Who was out to get publicity? Armstrong announced that money was being donated on behalf of Livestrong. Moreover, his statement was also about more money being needed to be raised to help people in Haiti, a statement just like other charities have made. There was no self-glorification.

You can't separate your own bias from reality. That shows a lack of critical thought skills. You presume stuff that's not in evidence. Further, you don't seem to get the whole charity thing. You don't know how they operate, nor the rules under which they have to operate. You should come up with something substantial or factual if you're going to try to make baseless claims.
No, it's not over generalized. Just look at the title of this thread and how agencies published the news. At the end it's about Armstrong and not the Livestrong or Haiti.
Wasn't his comeback about raising global cancer awareness, or is it about raising global Armstrong awareness.
I think it should come Livestrong first and then Armstrong, if the goal is charity.
Don't even try to explain the system of charity funds and donations from legal point of view. It's full of opportunities for misuses.

Without Armstrong there is no Livestrong so it can not be. He is after all the man himself, the founder of Livestrong and the advocate for it. And in the end or no matter how many petty people , that means the both of us so not picking on anyone and just in general so to speak, judge him, the main point of interest is people helping people as it should be and thank Gawd Big Lance has a foundation to do just that.

And I don't see any triathletes doing a damned thing either. Ironmen my ass. The only true one on the face of this planet is doing what he can.

Andrija said:
No, it's not over generalized. Just look at the title of this thread and how agencies published the news. At the end it's about Armstrong and not the Livestrong or Haiti.
Wasn't his comeback about raising global cancer awareness, or is it about raising global Armstrong awareness.
I think it should come Livestrong first and then Armstrong, if the goal is charity.
Don't even try to explain the system of charity funds and donations from legal point of view. It's full of opportunities for misuses.

You really don't get it do you? It was the PRESS that wrote the headlines. It's got sod all to do with what Armstrong did. If you want to argue about how the press misinterprets, capitalizes, and "characterizes" news, that's an entirely different subject. You're trying to argue a point that wasn't made, wasn't intended, and frankly isn't the point.

Again, if you've got evidence that charity funds were misused or laws were broken, then pot it. Otherwise, you're standing on nothing. Maybe you should go to the Soapbox so you can rant to heart's desire. Before you go though, make sure you realize and understand this painfully obvious point: Armstrong didn't write the headlines. In fact, he didn't talk about himself at all w/ respect to Haiti. He did talk about the need for contributions, the need for people to get involved, and the need for other organizations to get involved, pretty much what the other organizations and people said, too. Hey, maybe the others, like the Red Cross, were pimping themselves.

You've got nothing but your bias.

Frankly, your whole argument looks pedantic and childish in the face of the needs of Haiti right now. You'll likely find zero Haitians that want to refuse aid/aid money because of the way the press reported Armstrong's statement/Livestrong's donation.

alienator said:
You really don't get it do you? It was the PRESS that wrote the headlines. It's got sod all to do with what Armstrong did. If you want to argue about how the press misinterprets, capitalizes, and "characterizes" news, that's an entirely different subject. You're trying to argue a point that wasn't made, wasn't intended, and frankly isn't the point.

Again, if you've got evidence that charity funds were misused or laws were broken, then pot it. Otherwise, you're standing on nothing. Maybe you should go to the Soapbox so you can rant to heart's desire. Before you go though, make sure you realize and understand this painfully obvious point: Armstrong didn't write the headlines. In fact, he didn't talk about himself at all w/ respect to Haiti. He did talk about the need for contributions, the need for people to get involved, and the need for other organizations to get involved, pretty much what the other organizations and people said, too. Hey, maybe the others, like the Red Cross, were pimping themselves.

Frankly, your whole argument looks pedantic and childish in the face of the needs of Haiti right now. You'll likely find zero Haitians that want to refuse aid/aid money because of the way the press reported Armstrong's statement/Livestrong's donation.

damn, you're good. +1 x's 1,000,000,000 and then some. but the soapbox is my my territory, thank you very much. :D

btw, the us goverment via President Obama is donating ten million as a start to help with. The Brits are matching that sum.

alienator said:

Please, read again first response to this thread.
That was exactly what Armstrong has hoped for. This was just good opportunity for quality PR with no expenses.
Sorry, but that's Armstrong.
No one argues here about Haitians' needs. The whole world is trying to make life easier to them... Including other celebrities. So, Armstrong isn't the only one who's building good name on this case.
I'm not accusing anyone for misuse, so I don't need to present you any evidences. I said that charity funding is place where responsibility for donations and their further investment is very imprecise.

Andrija said:
You sound ******... Like you've had a problem today keeping up with bunch of 12 year old boys. Time ran over you. Just like it is running over Armstrong and there's no PR exhibition which will stop that. Your middle age idol is past tense. His tricks are too. Find someone else to identify with.

Hell, when you resort to that tactic, any chance of reasonable, objective discussion is out of the question.

Goodbye.

well i'm not with you, Andrija, for bashing Big Lance for merely being in a position to be able to help others in a desperate time of need and simply doing so. How does that represent anything else other than helping?