Lance gets nr 6 in BBC poll.

Simon Mason wrote:
> Lance Armstrong has just been voted number 6 in the top 20 of sporting
> achievements of 04 in a poll by listeners of BBC Radio 5 Live.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/fivelive_aod.shtml?sportingyear
>
> --
> Simon M.

He won how many races in 2004 ? I suspect those who voted for him
considered his lifetime of achievements not just his 2004 ones.

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> He won how many races in 2004 ? I suspect those who voted for him
> considered his lifetime of achievements not just his 2004 ones.

It's at about 1 hour 10 mins into the show.

It was for "memorable sporting moments" rather than achievements (my
mistake). Paula Radcliffe and Wayne Rooney are both in and neither won
anything at the Olympics or Euro 04.

--
Simon M.

Simon Mason wrote:
> "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>He won how many races in 2004 ? I suspect those who voted for him
>>considered his lifetime of achievements not just his 2004 ones.

> It's at about 1 hour 10 mins into the show.
>
> It was for "memorable sporting moments" rather than achievements (my
> mistake). Paula Radcliffe and Wayne Rooney are both in and neither won
> anything at the Olympics or Euro 04.
>
> --
> Simon M.

Paula who ? Is she that bint who failed so badly in Athens ?

I recall making a similar point last year. I presume Armstrongs Tour de
France win was the memorable moment. The moment he crossed the line was
pretty dull IMHO, that whole day was, not memorable. So what 'moment'
did they vote for ? Did Hoy or Wiggins get a placing ? Its not every
year we have Olympic medal winners.

> "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > He won how many races in 2004 ? I suspect those who voted for him
> > considered his lifetime of achievements not just his 2004 ones.

> It's at about 1 hour 10 mins into the show.
>
> It was for "memorable sporting moments" rather than achievements (my
> mistake). Paula Radcliffe and Wayne Rooney are both in and neither won
> anything at the Olympics or Euro 04.

'Moment' seems very loosely defined. 5th Arsenal's unbeaten run was over
18+ months.

Most encouraging that Armstrong was 6th -- the first foreigner while the
much hyped, heavily advertised and fully TV covered Schumacher Formula 1 7th
title hauled in 18th.

Bloody cyclists plotting to rig polls again?

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 16:41:26 +0000, MSeries wrote:

> Simon Mason wrote:
>> "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>

>>>He won how many races in 2004 ? I suspect those who voted for him
>>>considered his lifetime of achievements not just his 2004 ones.

>> It's at about 1 hour 10 mins into the show.
>>
>> It was for "memorable sporting moments" rather than achievements (my
>> mistake). Paula Radcliffe and Wayne Rooney are both in and neither won
>> anything at the Olympics or Euro 04.
>>

> Paula who ? Is she that bint who failed so badly in Athens ?

Athens and only Athens. I thought it covered the whole of 2004?
"How quickly they forget..."

--
Mike

Tony W wrote:

> Most encouraging that Armstrong was 6th -- the first foreigner while

the
> much hyped, heavily advertised and fully TV covered Schumacher

Formula 1 7th
> title hauled in 18th.
>
> Bloody cyclists plotting to rig polls again?

What was interesting was that later in the show John Inverdale (the
host) was talking about the rowers saying how tough the training was.
The female half of the duo in the studio said that the cyclists have to
train much harder than the rowers and Danny Kelly who is a big football
fan (in both senses of the word!)agreed with her. This prompted
Inverdale to comment that he was being "attacked" by two members of the
British Cycling Federation.

--
Si9mon M.

mb wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 16:41:26 +0000, MSeries wrote:
>

>>Simon Mason wrote:
>>
>>>"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>It's at about 1 hour 10 mins into the show.
>>>
>>> It was for "memorable sporting moments" rather than achievements (my
>>>mistake). Paula Radcliffe and Wayne Rooney are both in and neither won
>>>anything at the Olympics or Euro 04.
>>>

>>Paula who ? Is she that bint who failed so badly in Athens ?
>>

> Athens and only Athens. I thought it covered the whole of 2004?
> "How quickly they forget..."

Thats my point really. Some of the most memorable sporting moments are
not the ones one might expect to be remembered. I remember Radcliffes
failures rather than her successes whereas I remember Hoys successes
rather than his failures. Millars Olympic win was memorable, at the time
we didn't know he'd used a banned substance, his win was pretty
spectacular on the day. Armstrongs 6th Tour win will be forgotton,
Armstrong the athlete will not be (who remembers Indurains individual
wins ?), we will remember Millars Olympic debacle I am sure.

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> mb wrote:

Millars Olympic win was memorable, at the time
> we didn't know he'd used a banned substance, his win was pretty
> spectacular on the day.

Not that memorable...... (it never happened!)

Steve

Steve Almond wrote:
> "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>mb wrote:

> Millars Olympic win was memorable, at the time
>
>>we didn't know he'd used a banned substance, his win was pretty
>>spectacular on the day.

> Not that memorable...... (it never happened!)
>
> Steve

Yes it did, he was stripped of the title LATER. Like it or not thats how
it happened.

MSeries wrote:
> Steve Almond wrote:
>
>> "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> mb wrote:

>> Millars Olympic win was memorable, at the time
>>
>>> we didn't know he'd used a banned substance, his win was pretty
>>> spectacular on the day.

>> Not that memorable...... (it never happened!)
>>
>> Steve
>>

> Yes it did, he was stripped of the title LATER. Like it or not thats how
> it happened.

Millar was withdrawn from the team before the Olympics. Stuart
Dangerfield went in his place. Perhaps you are thinking of his World
Championship?

--
Dave...

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
future of the human race. - H. G. Wells

Dave Kahn wrote:
> MSeries wrote:
>
>> Steve Almond wrote:
>>
>>> "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Millars Olympic win was memorable, at the time

>>> Not that memorable...... (it never happened!)
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>

>> Yes it did, he was stripped of the title LATER. Like it or not thats
>> how it happened.

> Millar was withdrawn from the team before the Olympics. Stuart
> Dangerfield went in his place. Perhaps you are thinking of his World
> Championship?

you are right, I am.

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 09:35:34 +0000, MSeries wrote:

>I remember Radcliffes
> failures rather than her successes

My sporting moment of the year was Radcliffe winning the New York marathon.
If anyone needs a sporting role madel she's the one.

--
Michael MacClancy

MSeries wrote:

> you are right, I am.

That was a sweet moment. Then of course it all turned sour. :-(

--
Dave...

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
future of the human race. - H. G. Wells

In news:[email protected],
Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> typed:
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 09:35:34 +0000, MSeries wrote:
>
>> I remember Radcliffes
>> failures rather than her successes

> My sporting moment of the year was Radcliffe winning the New York
> marathon. If anyone needs a sporting role madel she's the one.

The women's pole vault in the Olympics was the most exciting thing I saw,
but the women's pursuit cycling was very good as well. In neither case did
it particularly involve Brits, though, so I guess it'd not be a popular
choice overall.