Lance gives 'Going Postal' new meaning

Robert J. Matter

Guest
http://www.charleston.net/stories/072504/bur_25burger.shtml

Story last updated at 7:53 a.m. Sunday, July 25, 2004

Lance gives 'Going Postal' new meaning
BY KEN BURGER
Of The Post and Courier Staff

Through wind, rain, hail, divorce, cancer and drunken German cycling
fans, Lance Armstrong is expected to deliver an unprecedented sixth Tour
de France championship to his fans, his sponsors and the world at large.

When he crosses the finish line today in Paris, Lance will become one of
the most celebrated athletes in the world. You know this because he has
entered that ethereal world where celebrity is known by a single name.

And yet we here in America can only wonder how such an athlete came to be.

He is, after all, from Texas, a place where men are men and bicycles and
little boys part company pretty early in life.

Yet from this cauldron of college football and cowboys came this
remarkable man whose determination and drive makes bull-riding look sissy.

To win this 23-day marathon that covers 2,106 miles is to conquer the
kind of physical and emotional demons most of us will never know.

To do so once is a milestone these competitors live and seem willing to
die for. So imagine the sacrifice and strength it takes to do it six
straight times.

ROAD KILL

But as we celebrate his victory today, it is only right that we put this
feat in perspective. Our perspective.

If it were not for Lance, the Tour de France would remain background
noise for most Americans. It's just not a mainstream sport along Main
Street, USA.

That's because Main Street, USA, has no bike paths.

I recently returned from a vacation swing through France and Sweden and
Germany where bicycling is a way of life. In Sweden, for instance, the
sidewalks are clearly marked, half for pedestrians and half for cyclists.

In other countries biking is not just recreation, it's transportation.

Somehow we missed that evolutionary step. We went directly from horse
and buggy to interstate highway and ran over anything in the way.

We systematically ignored all modes of travel that did not involve the
combustible or jet engine, thus creating a society that exists only in
the fast lane.

Unapologetically, we zoomed to the moon and back and widened every
highway in between.

So the mere fact that Lance somehow found a road to ride on without
becoming road kill makes his story even more unbelievable.

GOING POSTAL

But there he is, leading the pack, pedaling his way to victory,
spreading the word that "Going Postal" is no longer a bad thing.

With the U.S. Postal Service spending $25 million to promote itself on
Lance's shirt, you have to wonder what they hope to gain.

Surely Ben Franklin never envisioned having to compete with FedEx and
UPS when he conjured up our postal system. Then again, he probably never
thought we would use electricity to power a remote control TV to watch a
bicycle race on another continent.

All I know is we should all be extremely proud of Lance and what he has
done to the French. After all, they haven't won their own bicycle race
since 1985 and seem to have surrendered again.

So when Lance crosses that finish line today, I suggest all Americans
celebrate this moment by buying a stamp, licking it and mailing
something to a friend.

Hopefully, it will arrive at its destination in less than 23 days.

Ken Burger can be reached at [email protected] or 937-5598.

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:32:05 GMT, "Robert J. Matter"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>If it were not for Lance, the Tour de France would remain background
>noise for most Americans. It's just not a mainstream sport along Main
>Street, USA.

Where were these guys when Greg Lemond was winning Tours de France??
I first learned about the whole Tour de France when Lemond started
winning them.

>That's because Main Street, USA, has no bike paths.

Main Street, USA, is a perfectly good place to ride your bicycle. So
is Country Road, USA (in many places). It's Suburban Artery, USA
that's clogged with motorists who terrorize cyclists not bold enough
to assert their legal rights to the roadway.

It's not the bike paths--it's a whole society, a whole system of
planning, development, and land use that was built on postwar
projections of cheap and inexhaustible energy, creating the incentive
to build ever outward away from traditional population centers.

I'm preaching to the converted here. Blah.

-Luigi

Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:32:05 GMT, "Robert J. Matter"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >If it were not for Lance, the Tour de France would remain background
> >noise for most Americans. It's just not a mainstream sport along Main
> >Street, USA.

> Where were these guys when Greg Lemond was winning Tours de France??
> I first learned about the whole Tour de France when Lemond started
> winning them.

How comes he got france name?

> >That's because Main Street, USA, has no bike paths.

> Main Street, USA, is a perfectly good place to ride your bicycle. So
> is Country Road, USA (in many places). It's Suburban Artery, USA
> that's clogged with motorists who terrorize cyclists not bold enough
> to assert their legal rights to the roadway.

I agree on that but you have to understand that America is not
really
the place for bike rider. The road itself was design for the
motor______.
Simply America culture never intend to embrace the bike because in the
mind
of American psyche bicycle pedalling is a kind of game for a loser.
That's why you see the American love the high flying jet and NASCAR
race
crashing scene.

> It's not the bike paths--it's a whole society, a whole system of
> planning, development, and land use that was built on postwar
> projections of cheap and inexhaustible energy, creating the incentive
> to build ever outward away from traditional population centers.
>
> I'm preaching to the converted here. Blah.
>
> -Luigi

It's more than a system or road. It's the mindset of the American
people.
American history was never intend to embrace bicycle culture that they
were
distance themselve from European culture. That's why American loved
engine
from High flying jet to big fat-ass SUV and Hummer to motorcycles now
we have litttle motobike, motoskateboard for children. .

On 28 Jul 2004 22:11:27 -0700, [email protected] (Red Cloud)
wrote:

>Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:32:05 GMT, "Robert J. Matter"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >If it were not for Lance, the Tour de France would remain background
>> >noise for most Americans. It's just not a mainstream sport along Main
>> >Street, USA.

>> Where were these guys when Greg Lemond was winning Tours de France??
>> I first learned about the whole Tour de France when Lemond started
>> winning them.
>>

> How comes he got france name?

And President Eisenhower had a German one. I fail to see your point.

> It's more than a system or road. It's the mindset of the American
>people.
>American history was never intend to embrace bicycle culture that they
>were
>distance themselve from European culture. That's why American loved
>engine
>from High flying jet to big fat-ass SUV and Hummer to motorcycles now
>we have litttle motobike, motoskateboard for children. .

Post coherently, and we might believe that you're not the troll that
you really are. Say hello to the killfile, comrade.

-Luigi

Red Cloud wrote:
> Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:32:05 GMT, "Robert J. Matter"
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>If it were not for Lance, the Tour de France would remain background
>>>noise for most Americans. It's just not a mainstream sport along Main
>>>Street, USA.

>>Where were these guys when Greg Lemond was winning Tours de France??
>>I first learned about the whole Tour de France when Lemond started
>>winning them.
>>

> How comes he got france name?

How comes my husband got Poland name?

Yet somehow, he's an American. I wonder how that happened.

We're all descended from immigrants, yoyo. Even the indigenous peoples
are descended from immigrants -- they just got here earlier, from
another direction.

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Luigi's bitter comments asside :-3) I liked th article. It sounds like
it was written by a non-cyclist that is in he process of
reconciliation...

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Oops, sorry about my misspelling of "aside", Luigi, nothing personal
meant.

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

>"Where were these guys when Greg
>Lemond was winning Tours de France??
>I first learned about the whole Tour de
>France when Lemond started winning
>them.

>=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0How comes he got france name?

For the same reason every other non-N.A. citizen of this country has a
family name that stems from another nationality.

Duh!

- -