Lance goes slumming.

In article <[email protected]>,
SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Nov 2, 6:24 pm, jean-yves herve <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> >
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > >http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/rbr/poverty.png

> > Just curious: What's special about 125, as in "Percent of population
> > below 125% of poverty level"? Is that your own estimate/guess of the
> > liveable threshold or some kind of traditional metric?

> sssssshhhhhhhhh.....
>
> Don't wake him. We want him to be well rested when he wakes up and
> has to give a lecture, paid for with generously supplied tax dollars.

Good thing he did reply, otherwise I would have spent restless nights
thinking about that 125%. Certainly you'd want me to be well rested
when I wake up and have to give a lecture, paid for with generously
supplied tax dollars.

jyh.

jean-yves herve wrote:
> Good thing he did reply, otherwise I would have spent restless nights
> thinking about that 125%. Certainly you'd want me to be well rested when
> I wake up and have to give a lecture, paid for with generously supplied
> tax dollars.

Perhaps you should apply for a grant for a good coffee machine so you
can wake up properly and not look to rumpled during your lecture.

jean-yves herve wrote:
> Good thing he did reply, otherwise I would have spent restless nights
> thinking about that 125%. Certainly you'd want me to be well rested when
> I wake up and have to give a lecture, paid for with generously supplied
> tax dollars.

Perhaps you should apply for a grant for a good coffee machine so you
can wake up properly and not look to rumpled during your lecture.

"jean-yves hervé" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>
>> "Fred Fredburger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > You should ask your mother-in-law what Christ had to say about
>> > abortion.
>> > You will be surprised at the answer.

>> He had absolutely nothing to say about it since no one then would have
>> thought about abortions.

> You're kidding, right? About when do you think abortions date from?

Jean-Yves - exactly how did they perform abortions before, say, 1800 without
killing the woman?

"jean-yves hervé" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>
>> "Fred Fredburger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > You should ask your mother-in-law what Christ had to say about
>> > abortion.
>> > You will be surprised at the answer.

>> He had absolutely nothing to say about it since no one then would have
>> thought about abortions.

> You're kidding, right? About when do you think abortions date from?

Jean-Yves - exactly how did they perform abortions before, say, 1800 without
killing the woman?

"jean-yves hervé" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>
>> "Fred Fredburger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > You should ask your mother-in-law what Christ had to say about
>> > abortion.
>> > You will be surprised at the answer.

>> He had absolutely nothing to say about it since no one then would have
>> thought about abortions.

> You're kidding, right? About when do you think abortions date from?

Jean-Yves - exactly how did they perform abortions before, say, 1800 without
killing the woman?

"jean-yves hervé" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
>
>> "Fred Fredburger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > You should ask your mother-in-law what Christ had to say about
>> > abortion.
>> > You will be surprised at the answer.

>> He had absolutely nothing to say about it since no one then would have
>> thought about abortions.

> You're kidding, right? About when do you think abortions date from?

Jean-Yves - exactly how did they perform abortions before, say, 1800 without
killing the woman?

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> "jean-yves hervé" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> >
> >> "Fred Fredburger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> He had absolutely nothing to say about it since no one then would have
> >> thought about abortions.

> > You're kidding, right? About when do you think abortions date from?

> Jean-Yves - exactly how did they perform abortions before, say, 1800 without
> killing the woman?

Abortion was never a safe procedure, but there is plenty of evidence
that it has be performed for a very long time

<http://www.amazon.com/Contraception-Abortion-Ancient-World-Renaissance/d
p/0674168763>

In the 6th century BC Solon wrote an constitution for Athens that
explicitly prohibited abortion without the father's agreement. I doubt
that he would have bothered including this if abortion did not exist
back then.

Note that I am not taking sides on the "pro-life" vs. "pro-choice" issue
(if anything, most days I would rather lean to pro-life). I am not
particularly bothered by the fact that the Gospels do not say anything
explicit about abortion. They don't say anything about the superman
position for the hour world record either, but hopefully there is enough
ethical guidance there for people to come with their own decision.

> [...]

explicit about abortion. They don't say anything about the superman
position for the hour world record either, but hopefully there is enough
ethical guidance there for people to come with their own decision.

jyh.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:

> "jean-yves hervé" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Tom Kunich" <cyclintom@yahoo. com> wrote:
> >
> >> "Fred Fredburger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> He had absolutely nothing to say about it since no one then would have
> >> thought about abortions.

> > You're kidding, right? About when do you think abortions date from?

> Jean-Yves - exactly how did they perform abortions before, say, 1800 without

I should add two things

1) By all accounts, we have lost a huge amount of information on the
various powers of herbs sometimes during the 19th and 20th century.
Abortion does not necessarily imply some kind of surgical intervention,
particularly if performed early enough. Some kind of abortive brew,
even if only, say, 30% effective, would still be a form of abortion.

2) The 19th century local "angel maker" had absolutely no technological
or medical advantage over her 6th century BC colleague. Before
sterilization, a scrapper is a scrapper, no matter what the century.
Bronze or bone works as well as steel for that purpose.

Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote:

> Perhaps you should apply for a grant for a good coffee machine so you
> can wake up properly and not look to rumpled during your lecture.

It's a non-negotiable part of my contract that I never teach before 1PM.
A good coffee machine would not hurt, though. If I apply for that grant
I will make sure to write you in for some travel money so that you can
enjoy the benefits of your suggestion.