Lance has already won

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by wicklow200, Jul 4, 2005.

1. vadimivich

vadimivich New Member

They were far worse. Indurain didn't have the flair for winning stages, he just slowly ground the peleton to dust. At least with Armstrong you get things like his sprint past Kloden last year to keep stuff lively.

Indurain was the Pete Sampras of cycling, unbelievably good and terribly boring.

2. alibat

alibat New Member

....and he unexpectedly cracked in the mountains in 1996 when he looked likely to win again. There is still hope.

3. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Uncanny.
    Are you a mind reader ?

I ask this because I think exactly same : Pete Sampras.
    Indurain reminds me of PS in the war the opposition was simply worn down by him (just like Sampras did in tennis).

4. MJtje

MJtje New Member

And what to think of Federer then who is even a step above Sampras.........that dude is sooooooo amazingly talented. That dude is no way boring what he can do with his racket................and what lim and others will like he is like merckx he plays everywhere and WINS everywhere!

Federer is by far better then Sampras...........look at how easy he beat Hewitt (no 2 in the world) and Roddick!

Oke back to cycling then........:cool:

5. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I like Federer : he does compete everywhere : he's a champion.

He not like Gustavo Kuerten (LA !) who only competes at the French Open.

Pistol Pete competed everywhere too but I think Federer if he keep going the way he is, will pass PS.

6. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Its not hope.... think about it.... its not just Ullrich who wnts to win...... this year think Basso, Vino, Ullrich, Landis, Botero and others repeated attacks.... what do you do ? Do you follow ? Do you wait... ? Do you send off one of your climbers to stay with them.... believe me there are more bases to cover this year than previous years.... yes the time gaps are larger but this will just encourage people to attack more.... remember in 2003 how much time Ullrich lost on d'Huez ?....................

…………………….what I do know that there was a certain team wearing pink training in the mountains not so long ago putting a young looking Spaniard (after being dropped off by the team car) up the road as a carrot to chase down on repeated attacks.... he would do this 10-15 times up one stretch of mountain until he almost fell of his bike.... each and every time a large German got close to the young looking Spaniard the Spaniard would attack and make him chase again....... this is a true story and I have said way to much already.

I will also there are certain records on certain mountains which were broken in training. The problem that has occurred is that the TT'ing has slightly dissipated and what your saw in the TDS is not what you should base your analysis on for the rest of the TDF….. that’s why I say ‘mark my words’….. you have been warned.

7. MJtje

MJtje New Member

Oke mark my words: LA WILL be in yellow........and BASSO WIIL be 2nd!

8. rejobako

rejobako New Member

For the sake of some suspense in the coming weeks, I hope you're right. But I've got a feeling that the "young Spaniard" described in your post isn't quite as elusive a carrot as a certain older American, or young Italian, or maybe even a restless Kazakh in the shame shade of pink . . .

9. wolfix

wolfix New Member

It was rumoured that Discovery did the same thing , but the guys couldn't find any carrots . So they used a "strawberry ."

10. YIMan

YIMan New Member

It's ridiculous to suggest that the Tour is over after 4 stages. Anything can happen.....injuries, illness, crashes...Armstrong might not be as strong as you think and the others might be stronger than you think.

Didn't Ullrich put 45 seconds into LA a couple of years back in the Pyrenees? I'm looking forward to seeing Vino and Jan take Armstrong and his deputies on.

11. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

Rock on the Spaniard for the mountain Jersey then.

Everyone who is looking at the GC will have to attack discovery in the mountains. There will be atleast two big attacks a day in the mountains by big names, it will be up to Lance's teamates to take the burden of the attacks. And looking at his team they probably can. So the GC contenders will have to keep on attacking until every member of DC is dying on the hillside and LA is alone and then they have to put LA in the hurt box and then they can take time out of him. But it can be done.

12. El Chava

El Chava New Member

I have a blind trust in Alejandro Valverde. He is the big hope for Spanish cycling in the future. It is his first Tour, but I think that, if he is fit, he can get a success attack to LA. But I think too, that he would need that the rest of climbers would put on trouble to LA. He always has been very comfortable the last Tours, with nobody who, truely, could make him be on trouble. Teams like Liberty, T-Mobile, Phonak or Rabobank (with Menchov) have the key. They have to put a frenetic rythm when the way is up. They have to leave LA alone, since the beginning. This is the last chance to beat LA... They must try it.

13. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Welcome El Chava : with that name I recall that great Spanish climber, Jimenez.
    Jose Maria, R.I.P.

14. hillelos

hillelos New Member

About drugs- Even if lance take something, which I guess we will never know, he is surely not the only one- Ullrich, Hamilton and many many others, are in the same story. Yet - Lance is much better rider. He have an additional mental structure that others doesn't have.

but, maybe it is time for some young rider to beat Lance... let's wait to the big mountains:rolleyes:

15. El Chava

El Chava New Member

JM Jiménez could be the best... but not only is necessary in cyling to have an spectacular power. You need to have the mind in order too. In the same way of Pantani, "El Chava" was a victim of the fame. And, in the same way of Pantani, there were people that could help him, but they forgot him. One day you are a god...And the next day you are garbage. You have to be able to suffer that. It is the misery of the sport.

16. wicklow200

wicklow200 New Member

Was it 45 seconds? Impressive. Lance had a semi bad day at the office I suppose. It wasn't repeated. And 45 seconds ain't going to be enough my friend. So as I said, BARRING ANY ILLNESS OR ACCIDENT OR UNUSUALLY BAD DAY IN THE MOUNTAINS, the race is over.

17. wicklow200

wicklow200 New Member

I would actually love to see an exciting race for GC but my opinion is like that. I can only base on facts. I am not close to the pro racing community, so can't fall back on any inside information. I base my view on results this year and the perfomances of the main contenders so far in the Tour. Actually hoping I am proved wrong though.

Why the intrigue? Spell it out.

Do you mean Jan is going to explode the GC in the mountains? And LA won't be able to follow? If so, I welcome it. Perhaps it explains why Jan ITTed so badly. Is it possible to improve your climbing to the extent that you lose your TT power?

18. Eden

Eden New Member

If this is possible he's been hiding it well. He was quite dropped on the last big climb in the Tour de Suisse - of course it is always impossible to make judgements about any rider from the last big race (ala Armstrong's results from last years Ventoux climb in the Dauphine as compared to his climbing in the TDF), but Jan doesn't seem to have significantly changed his climbing style from other years, he still rides a big gear and powers up the hills. I would attribute his accident to the ITT result before anything else and expect that he will climb the same way as other years.

19. MJtje

MJtje New Member

Look all the BS about LA and Ulle........fact is there has been never a moment in those 6 years were the contenders got more then a minute on LA! And LA always won 4+ min in the mountains on Ulle........based on that I say Ulle is no were! It's Basso.......he'll will hurt the disco's!

20. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

My contact at T-Mobile says that Ulle is jumping out of his skin and wants to attack now.... he will wait but he feel so good he wants to eat the road and spit it out........ just you wait...