Lance has gotta be freaking out

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Raptor, Jul 18, 2004.

  1. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    The biggest obstacle between Lance and making history is a crazed fan. I
    really wonder how they're going to run a decent time trial with only 5
    km of Alpe du'Huez barricaded.

    Back in 2001, Lance said in a post-Tour interview that when he's on a
    climbing attack, he's thinking, "Okay, watch that guy. He looks a little
    wild."

    I hope the fans settle down a bit. Those Basques get a little crazy
    sometimes.

    It's reported that what Lance said to Basso after passing into the
    barricaded zone at the end of the Plateau de Beille stage was along the
    lines of, "Well, we made it through." That kid was actually patting
    Armstrong on the back for 100 meters, wasn't he? I'd have belted him if
    I were Lance (who can't throw a punch in a Nike commercial without
    training). Then there was the guy waving his flag at the front wheels of
    the riders, the longhorn dude crowding the line around the switchback, etc.

    "We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
    a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
    them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
    could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
    instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

    Tags:

  2. JS

    JS Guest

    Rumour has it that there's a hit out on Lance. The Italian mafia who are
    big Basso supporters will be lined up along Alpe du'Huez strategically to
    derail Armstrong.

    "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The biggest obstacle between Lance and making history is a crazed fan. I
    > really wonder how they're going to run a decent time trial with only 5
    > km of Alpe du'Huez barricaded.
    >
    > Back in 2001, Lance said in a post-Tour interview that when he's on a
    > climbing attack, he's thinking, "Okay, watch that guy. He looks a little
    > wild."
    >
    > I hope the fans settle down a bit. Those Basques get a little crazy
    > sometimes.
    >
    > It's reported that what Lance said to Basso after passing into the
    > barricaded zone at the end of the Plateau de Beille stage was along the
    > lines of, "Well, we made it through." That kid was actually patting
    > Armstrong on the back for 100 meters, wasn't he? I'd have belted him if
    > I were Lance (who can't throw a punch in a Nike commercial without
    > training). Then there was the guy waving his flag at the front wheels of
    > the riders, the longhorn dude crowding the line around the switchback,

    etc.

    > Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall
    > "We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
    > a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
    > them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
    > could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
    > instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

  3. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    There will be a protest of sorts on Wednesday by Pantani fans upset with the
    way the Tour treated Pantani by excluding him. Given the mutual dislike
    expressed between Pantani and Armstrong, perhaps Armstrong has something to
    be concerned about. Let's hope nothing happens to any of the riders.

    "JS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Rumour has it that there's a hit out on Lance. The Italian mafia who are
    > big Basso supporters will be lined up along Alpe du'Huez strategically to
    > derail Armstrong.
    >
    > "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > The biggest obstacle between Lance and making history is a crazed fan. I
    > > really wonder how they're going to run a decent time trial with only 5
    > > km of Alpe du'Huez barricaded.
    > >
    > > Back in 2001, Lance said in a post-Tour interview that when he's on a
    > > climbing attack, he's thinking, "Okay, watch that guy. He looks a little
    > > wild."
    > >
    > > I hope the fans settle down a bit. Those Basques get a little crazy
    > > sometimes.
    > >
    > > It's reported that what Lance said to Basso after passing into the
    > > barricaded zone at the end of the Plateau de Beille stage was along the
    > > lines of, "Well, we made it through." That kid was actually patting
    > > Armstrong on the back for 100 meters, wasn't he? I'd have belted him if
    > > I were Lance (who can't throw a punch in a Nike commercial without
    > > training). Then there was the guy waving his flag at the front wheels of
    > > the riders, the longhorn dude crowding the line around the switchback,

    > etc.
    > >
    > > --
    > > --
    > > Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall
    > > "We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
    > > a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
    > > them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
    > > could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
    > > instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

  4. ie

    ie Guest

    If they're on a suicide mission....

    The fan that might try to take out LA this year would fare far worse than
    the fan that punched Merckx years ago.

    I'd bet anyone on the mountain doing something intentionally to Lance should
    pray that the authorities got to him before the crowd did--whether the crowd
    loves or hates Lance, it would be unforgivable to affect the outcome that
    way. An incredible disrespect to the sport, IMHO.

    One can only hope that the outcome is left to the sportsmen involved, not
    the fanatics watching.