Lance has gotta be freaking out

Raptor

Guest
The biggest obstacle between Lance and making history is a crazed fan. I
really wonder how they're going to run a decent time trial with only 5
km of Alpe du'Huez barricaded.

Back in 2001, Lance said in a post-Tour interview that when he's on a
climbing attack, he's thinking, "Okay, watch that guy. He looks a little
wild."

I hope the fans settle down a bit. Those Basques get a little crazy
sometimes.

It's reported that what Lance said to Basso after passing into the
barricaded zone at the end of the Plateau de Beille stage was along the
lines of, "Well, we made it through." That kid was actually patting
Armstrong on the back for 100 meters, wasn't he? I'd have belted him if
I were Lance (who can't throw a punch in a Nike commercial without
training). Then there was the guy waving his flag at the front wheels of
the riders, the longhorn dude crowding the line around the switchback, etc.

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

Rumour has it that there's a hit out on Lance. The Italian mafia who are
big Basso supporters will be lined up along Alpe du'Huez strategically to
derail Armstrong.

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The biggest obstacle between Lance and making history is a crazed fan. I
> really wonder how they're going to run a decent time trial with only 5
> km of Alpe du'Huez barricaded.
>
> Back in 2001, Lance said in a post-Tour interview that when he's on a
> climbing attack, he's thinking, "Okay, watch that guy. He looks a little
> wild."
>
> I hope the fans settle down a bit. Those Basques get a little crazy
> sometimes.
>
> It's reported that what Lance said to Basso after passing into the
> barricaded zone at the end of the Plateau de Beille stage was along the
> lines of, "Well, we made it through." That kid was actually patting
> Armstrong on the back for 100 meters, wasn't he? I'd have belted him if
> I were Lance (who can't throw a punch in a Nike commercial without
> training). Then there was the guy waving his flag at the front wheels of
> the riders, the longhorn dude crowding the line around the switchback,

etc.

> Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall
> "We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
> a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
> them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
> could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
> instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

There will be a protest of sorts on Wednesday by Pantani fans upset with the
way the Tour treated Pantani by excluding him. Given the mutual dislike
expressed between Pantani and Armstrong, perhaps Armstrong has something to
be concerned about. Let's hope nothing happens to any of the riders.

"JS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Rumour has it that there's a hit out on Lance. The Italian mafia who are
> big Basso supporters will be lined up along Alpe du'Huez strategically to
> derail Armstrong.
>
> "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > The biggest obstacle between Lance and making history is a crazed fan. I
> > really wonder how they're going to run a decent time trial with only 5
> > km of Alpe du'Huez barricaded.
> >
> > Back in 2001, Lance said in a post-Tour interview that when he's on a
> > climbing attack, he's thinking, "Okay, watch that guy. He looks a little
> > wild."
> >
> > I hope the fans settle down a bit. Those Basques get a little crazy
> > sometimes.
> >
> > It's reported that what Lance said to Basso after passing into the
> > barricaded zone at the end of the Plateau de Beille stage was along the
> > lines of, "Well, we made it through." That kid was actually patting
> > Armstrong on the back for 100 meters, wasn't he? I'd have belted him if
> > I were Lance (who can't throw a punch in a Nike commercial without
> > training). Then there was the guy waving his flag at the front wheels of
> > the riders, the longhorn dude crowding the line around the switchback,

> etc.
> >
> > --
> > --
> > Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall
> > "We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
> > a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
> > them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
> > could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
> > instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

If they're on a suicide mission....

The fan that might try to take out LA this year would fare far worse than
the fan that punched Merckx years ago.

I'd bet anyone on the mountain doing something intentionally to Lance should
pray that the authorities got to him before the crowd did--whether the crowd
loves or hates Lance, it would be unforgivable to affect the outcome that
way. An incredible disrespect to the sport, IMHO.

One can only hope that the outcome is left to the sportsmen involved, not
the fanatics watching.