Lance is a really, really good actor.

yojimbo

Guest
From an alterno Canadian newspaper sports columnist a couple days ago:

.... "Maybe he (Barry Bonds) is a freak. It's certainly possible. Lance
Armstrong is a freak. And there have been whispers about Lance hitting the
juice cycles, maybe even human growth hormone, that have haunted him for
years. Cycling was nearly destroyed by the damage of illegal stimulant and
steroid use, nothing would surprise me, but you want to put your faith into
Lance doing it clean. Having said that, and by ways of a movie review, I
just rented Dodgeball and have to admit - Lance is a really, really good
actor. On the scale where the bottom is Wayne Gretzky's appearance on
Saturday Night Live, and at the top is O.J. putting on the glove, Lance is
even more convincing than Simpson. Don't believe me -take a look: the guy
flat-out delivers his lines like a pro."

.... more: http://www.xenmagazine.com/article.php?story=2004121513154753

Lance is
> even more convincing than Simpson. Don't believe me -take a look: the guy
> flat-out delivers his lines like a pro."

Lance is the best, no doubt. Does Lance even mention his kids anymore?
When Tyler finally figures it out, that it's over, he'll open his bike shop
in Marblehead, take Tanker and Anchor to the shop everyday and live happily
ever after. However Lance is a different story. He'll go out ugly, like
Pantani.

> Lance is
> > even more convincing than Simpson. Don't believe me -take a look: the

guy
> > flat-out delivers his lines like a pro."

> Lance is the best, no doubt. Does Lance even mention his kids

anymore?
> When Tyler finally figures it out, that it's over, he'll open his bike

shop
> in Marblehead, take Tanker and Anchor to the shop everyday and live

happily
> ever after. However Lance is a different story. He'll go out ugly, like
> Pantani.

Define ugly. A six of the beer of your choice says Lance goes out with
class and on top.

not K. Papai

"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Lance is
>> > even more convincing than Simpson. Don't believe me -take a look: the

> guy
>> > flat-out delivers his lines like a pro."

>> Lance is the best, no doubt. Does Lance even mention his kids

> anymore?
>> When Tyler finally figures it out, that it's over, he'll open his bike

> shop
>> in Marblehead, take Tanker and Anchor to the shop everyday and live

> happily
>> ever after. However Lance is a different story. He'll go out ugly, like
>> Pantani.

> Define ugly. A six of the beer of your choice says Lance goes out with
> class and on top.

Two questions:
1. When will Mr. Lance be the UCI #1?
2. When is he going to obtain some class?

I don't think he'll go out like Pantani, but it is going to get very
interesting when the Walsh book comes out in the US.

"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Lance is
>> > even more convincing than Simpson. Don't believe me -take a look: the

> guy
>> > flat-out delivers his lines like a pro."

>> Lance is the best, no doubt. Does Lance even mention his kids

> anymore?
>> When Tyler finally figures it out, that it's over, he'll open his bike

> shop
>> in Marblehead, take Tanker and Anchor to the shop everyday and live

> happily
>> ever after. However Lance is a different story. He'll go out ugly, like
>> Pantani.

> Define ugly. A six of the beer of your choice says Lance goes out with
> class and on top.

Two questions:
1. When will Mr. Lance be the UCI #1?
2. When is he going to obtain some class?

I don't think he'll go out like Pantani, but it is going to get very
interesting when the Walsh book comes out in the US.

> "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Lance is

> > guy
> >>
> >> Lance is the best, no doubt. Does Lance even mention his kids

> > anymore?
> >> When Tyler finally figures it out, that it's over, he'll open his bike

> > shop
> >> in Marblehead, take Tanker and Anchor to the shop everyday and live

> > happily
> >> ever after. However Lance is a different story. He'll go out ugly,

like
> >> Pantani.

> > Define ugly. A six of the beer of your choice says Lance goes out with
> > class and on top.

> Two questions:
> 1. When will Mr. Lance be the UCI #1?
> 2. When is he going to obtain some class?
>
> I don't think he'll go out like Pantani, but it is going to get very
> interesting when the Walsh book comes out in the US.

Class in this case is defined as 1) not been proven to have doped; 2)
retiring while competitive, unlike Cipo. I set a low bar.

In rec.bicycles.racing B. Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:
> I don't think he'll go out like Pantani, but it is going to get very
> interesting when the Walsh book comes out in the US.

Why would you think that? Walsh doesn't have ****. His best
material is he-said/she-said ****.

I'm as cynical as anyone. OK, I'm as cynical as almost anyone.
But he doesn't have ****.

Bob Schwartz
[email protected]

In article <[email protected]>,
Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:

> In rec.bicycles.racing B. Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I don't think he'll go out like Pantani, but it is going to get very
> > interesting when the Walsh book comes out in the US.

> Why would you think that? Walsh doesn't have ****. His best
> material is he-said/she-said ****.

Sadly, the "he-said/she-said ****" is what passes for news, or at least
the discussion of it, right now.

> I'm as cynical as anyone. OK, I'm as cynical as almost anyone.
> But he doesn't have ****.

Innuendo sells books. Too bad.

--
tanx,
Howard

Butter is love.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

> "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Lance is

> > guy
> >>
> >> Lance is the best, no doubt. Does Lance even mention his kids

> > anymore?
> >> When Tyler finally figures it out, that it's over, he'll open his bike

> > shop
> >> in Marblehead, take Tanker and Anchor to the shop everyday and live

> > happily
> >> ever after. However Lance is a different story. He'll go out ugly,

like
> >> Pantani.

> > Define ugly. A six of the beer of your choice says Lance goes out with
> > class and on top.

> Two questions:
> 1. When will Mr. Lance be the UCI #1?
> 2. When is he going to obtain some class?
>
> I don't think he'll go out like Pantani, but it is going to get very
> interesting when the Walsh book comes out in the US.

I think if Lance wins the Giro and some more of the classics, that will go a
long way in giving him some class, regardless of the UCI ranking in my book.
Retiring on just the TDF seems like a one sided career, but its still very
impressive. Add the other tours and a few more wins of the big classics and
he will really be someone the in annuls of cycling history. Right now I
still look at him as a TDF wondeboy who has it down to a science, but I am
waiting for Paris-R, Giro, Vuelta, throw in a couple other classics. Paris-R
is the one I am waiting for. Go get it Lance!

B-

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In rec.bicycles.racing B. Lafferty <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I don't think he'll go out like Pantani, but it is going to get very
>> interesting when the Walsh book comes out in the US.

> Why would you think that? Walsh doesn't have ****. His best
> material is he-said/she-said ****.
>
> I'm as cynical as anyone. OK, I'm as cynical as almost anyone.
> But he doesn't have ****.

Have you read the entire book?

>> "Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...
>> > guy

>> > anymore?
>> > shop
>> > happily

> like
>> >
>> > Define ugly. A six of the beer of your choice says Lance goes out with
>> > class and on top.

>> Two questions:
>> 1. When will Mr. Lance be the UCI #1?
>> 2. When is he going to obtain some class?
>>
>> I don't think he'll go out like Pantani, but it is going to get very
>> interesting when the Walsh book comes out in the US.

> Class in this case is defined as 1) not been proven to have doped; 2)
> retiring while competitive, unlike Cipo. I set a low bar.

Set the bar low enough and even Johnny NC could have class.

B. Lafferty wrote:

> Have you read the entire book?

Dumbass -

Cycling is dirty, just like all other professional sports. Being a
dirty professional sport, there are many practictioners of the "dirty"
methods.

Has it occurred to you why Walsh targets Armstrong instead of some
other "dirty" cyclist?

Answer: because he can make more money targeting Armstrong than
targeting one of the other guys.

He actually has a decent reason for being obsessed with LANCE. $$$$.
You? Hmmm. The list of explanations isn't too long nor too flattering.
thanks,

K. Gringioni.

From: "Kurgan Gringioni"

>He [Walsh] actually has a decent reason for being obsessed with LANCE. $$$$.
>You? Hmmm. The list of explanations isn't too long nor too flattering.
>thanks,

You left out "personal" (revenge for being made to look foolish among his
peers). Same for Pound (see also "Marion Jones, kangaroo court"). Well, maybe
revenge was included in the "not too flattering part". Never mind. --TP

> B. Lafferty wrote:
>>
>> Have you read the entire book?

> Dumbass -
>
> Cycling is dirty, just like all other professional sports. Being a
> dirty professional sport, there are many practictioners of the "dirty"
> methods.

Yeah. So?

> Has it occurred to you why Walsh targets Armstrong instead of some
> other "dirty" cyclist?
>
> Answer: because he can make more money targeting Armstrong than
> targeting one of the other guys.

Walsh answered a question about the fortune he's going to make off the book
in the interview he did with VeloNews. I think what drives him may be
Armstrong's perceived arrogance and holier than thou posturing as to drug
usage. That posturing looks much less believable in light of the entire
book, which most haven't yet had the opportunity to read.

>From: "B. Lafferty"

>Walsh answered a question about the fortune he's going to make off the book
>in the interview he did with VeloNews.

A new Ferrari?

"Tom Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >From: "B. Lafferty"

>>Walsh answered a question about the fortune he's going to make off the
>>book
>>in the interview he did with VeloNews.

> A new Ferrari?

Guess again.

B. Lafferty wrote:

> > B. Lafferty wrote:
> >>
> >> Have you read the entire book?

> > Dumbass -
> >
> > Cycling is dirty, just like all other professional sports. Being a
> > dirty professional sport, there are many practictioners of the

"dirty"
> > methods.

> Yeah. So?
> >
> > Has it occurred to you why Walsh targets Armstrong instead of some
> > other "dirty" cyclist?
> >
> > Answer: because he can make more money targeting Armstrong than
> > targeting one of the other guys.

> Walsh answered a question about the fortune he's going to make off

the book
> in the interview he did with VeloNews. I think what drives him may

be
> Armstrong's perceived arrogance and holier than thou posturing as to

drug
> usage. That posturing looks much less believable in light of the

entire
> book, which most haven't yet had the opportunity to read.

Dumbass -

OF COURSE he's going to say that!

Just like a dirty cyclist (of which there are many) are going to say,
"I've never tested positive", the same thing that the clean cyclists
say.

Goddamm, you have your head up your ass. People don't write books about
others because they are arrogant. LANCE may be arrogant, but surely
there are some very bigheaded Masters Fatties who are even more so. Why
doesn't Walsh write about the Fatties? Because a professional writer
needs to sell books. It's all about the money.

K. Gringioni.

> Goddamm, you have your head up your ass. People don't write books about
> others because they are arrogant. LANCE may be arrogant, but surely
> there are some very bigheaded Masters Fatties who are even more so. Why
> doesn't Walsh write about the Fatties? Because a professional writer
> needs to sell books. It's all about the money.

Being one of the top riders in a drug riddled sport is no doubt a motivation
and will of course help to sell books. So what? I really don't care what
his motivation is if he can dig for facts and report them. Armstrong has
made himself into a very public figure by choice, and with that comes
intense examination when some things don't appear to add up correctly. But
to claim that it's all about money is simplistic at best. Grahm Watson,
Phil, Paul, Bob and Frankie have chosen to butter their rolls by not dealing
up front with the drug issue in general within the peloton. That's why
they're presenters, not journalists. Each has a function, just like you have
a function at rbr.

> K. Gringioni.

"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Grahm Watson, Phil, Paul, Bob and Frankie have chosen to
> butter their rolls by not dealing up front with the drug issue in
> general within the peloton. That's why they're presenters, not
> journalists.

Could you please explain the distinction to me? What's the difference?

In article <[email protected]>,
Tim Mullin <[email protected]> wrote:

> Phil, Paul, and Bob do go after stories, and often do insightful reporting
> with relevent detail, but the scope of the stories they do is limited.
> Like most sport journalists, little is expected of them. In fact, the
> dominant model in sport journalism seems to be, "Don't bite the hand that
> feeds you."
>
> The BALCO story seems to be a fine example. A prominent SF athlete,
> involved with a bay-area lab. Clearly a sports story, right? So which
> department of the Chronicle (one of the better US papers, btw) handled the
> story? Why, news, of course. Lance Williams, an investigative reporter,
> handled it, and the stories were carried in the news sections.
>
> I remember back to covering OU in the days of Charles Thompson, cocaine,
> rapes, shootings, and Barry Switzer. All the facts and journalistc heavy
> lifting were handled by us news guys, and sports only touched the story
> when the context changed to what it all meant to football.

I did think it was interesting that, a few years ago, the San Jose'
Murky added a section to the daily tidbits section of the sports page
(where you might see a single line mention of how LANCE is doing in the
TdF) headed "Jurisprudence". Yeah, enough jocks were getting in trouble to
warrant a special section. Heh.

By the way, Phil, Paul and Bob are indeed journalists. IMO.