Are you going for # 7

LA said YUP

What a show on Oprah today

Sheryl Crow is there LA's Mom a rac with Oprah

One full hour of Lance

I watched the tape again and when LA was asked by Oprah , "Will you go for #7 "
LA looked at Sheryl C and then he looked at the audience and he said
"Absolutely" a big grin and a smile from ear to Ear
Then Oprah said " I suppose we better get you outta here , to start your training !

Announcing it on National TV ,
That sounds like this year ,,,,

:D :D :D :D #7

LA announced that he would go for seven quite a while ago. It seems to be a condition in the contract with the Discovery Channel. The question is whether it will be this year or next, and Oprah did not clear that up.

I thought that the Oprah show was terribly dull. It was all about LA the media sensation, not LA the cyclist.

Maybe dull for the avid cyclist but you have to remember that most people bearly know his story. I think it's great that a show with the viewer base of Oprah had him on. 75 million people, or whatever, finally got to learn something about him and a little about cycling. Maybe some soccer mom will understand what we're trying to do and that it's not all about lycra and shaving and maybe not run us off the road today :)

Ride on!

He said he was going to evaluate his fitness after the Classics and then decide the TDF based on that.

jcpiercy said:
Are you going for # 7

LA said YUP
i'll believe it when i see it...

Ullrich has also issued a challenge to LA to keep him in this years tour...enter and I win, chicken out and I win.

I just read on thepaceline.com that Lance is indeed going for #7 this year. His other major races will be Paris-Nice, the Tour of Flanders, and the Tour de Georgia.

ganderctr said:
I just read on thepaceline.com that Lance is indeed going for #7 this year. His other major races will be Paris-Nice, the Tour of Flanders, and the Tour de Georgia.
so he says,

if it werent for the ProTour regulations he would have dumped the rest and went on a one race crusade as usual. Now he has to do the rest to be taken seriously as a credible rider.

tcklyde said:
LA announced that he would go for seven quite a while ago. It seems to be a condition in the contract with the Discovery Channel. The question is whether it will be this year or next, and Oprah did not clear that up.

I thought that the Oprah show was terribly dull. It was all about LA the media sensation, not LA the cyclist.

Reuters and AP are reporting that he will try for #7 this year (2005).

Trekker2017 said:
Reuters and AP are reporting that he will try for #7 this year (2005).
Feb. 16 (Bloomberg) -- Lance Armstrong today said he would compete for a record-extending seventh straight victory in this year’s Tour de France, cycling’s most prestigious race.
Armstrong, a 33-year-old Texan, will begin his season in next month’s seven-day Paris-Nice race, his Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team said on its Web site. He’ll compete in Belgium’s Tour of Flanders on April 3 and head to the U.S. for the Tour de Georgia -- an event he won in 2004 -- from April 19.
“I am excited to get back on the bike and start racing although my condition is far from perfect,” Armstrong said in a statement.
Armstrong, who overcame cancer before his first Tour win in 1999, last year surpassed Jacques Anquetil, Eddy Merckx, Bernard Hinault and Miguel Indurain as five-time winners of the 102-year- old event. He completed the three-week race six minutes and 38 seconds ahead of Germany’s Andreas Kloden, picking up a career- best five stage victories along the way.
Until today, Armstrong had declined to commit to hauling himself the 3,500 kilometers (2,175 miles) from the Vendee region on France’s Atlantic coast to the Champs-Elysees in Paris. His contract with Discovery, which took over sponsoring the team when U.S. Postal Service pulled out last year, required he competed in 2005 or 2006.
After the announcement, U.K. bookmaker William Hill shortened its odds on an Armstrong triumph to 4/7 from 5/6. German 1997 champion Jan Ullrich is 7/2, Italy’s Ivan Basso is 11/2, with Kloden a 10/1 chance.
“It could be a one-horse race,” William Hill spokesman Rupert Adams said in a phone interview. “We were hoping he wasn’t going to take part because the betting would have been a bit more open.”
Tour de France organizer Amaury Sport Organisation didn’t return calls seeking comment.
Johan Bruyneel, the team manager, will assess Armstrong’s physical condition before deciding whether to add more races to his calendar this season, Team Discovery said.
The 92nd edition of the Tour de France starts July 2. This year’s 21-stage course features fewer mountain finishes and shorter individual time trials than normal -- events that Armstrong tends to dominate.
There’ll be one mountain finish in the Alps and two in the Pyrenees, while the longer of the two races against the clock is scheduled for the second-last day. Armstrong recorded three straight stage wins in the Alps last year and has eight victories in the past 11 Tour de France time trials.
Armstrong was named The Associated Press male athlete of the year for a third straight year in 2004.
T Lance Armstrong Initial 2005 Schedule:
March 6-13 - Paris-Nice (France)
April 3 - Tour of Flanders (Belgium)
April 19-24 - Tour de Georgia (U.S.)
July 2-24 - Tour de France T
--Editors: Ludden, McLuskey.