Lance is "The man"

Spider1977

New Member
Jul 19, 2003
Did you see Lance have that fall, then nearly take off his one remaining nut, then power past JU like he was standing still.

As Bruce Macavaney would say it was "special".

After reading his book and following his last 3 TdeF's I have nothing but admiration for a true sportsman.:) :) :) :) ;)

"Spider1977" wrote
> Did you see Lance have that fall, then nearly take off his one
remaining
> nut, then power past JU like he was standing still.

Did you see JU wait for him?

Theo

Yes Theo, that was fantastic sportsmanship. I also admire JU, in fact I admire all these guys.

I can't imagine what it must be like for all the "domestiques" who work so hard for the stars to take the glory.

The final days after the rest day will be really interesting. I hope it goes down to the wire, I'll be glued to the TV late on Sunday night.;)

Nice one buddy. Next time you want to reveal the result of the stage, try not to shout it out in the
subject line. If you want to discuss the results of a stage before BOTH daily highlights shows are
televised, then do it inside the post, and put a spoiler in the subject line.

Not all of us can get home at 6pm to watch the highlights... spare a thought for those who are
hanging out for the midnight show, trying their best to avoid finding out any details of the racing.
Don't scream about someone being "the man" when there are probably many folks reading this newsgroup
who are trying to avoid finding out who that "man" was until they've seen the stage on SBS.

David Sutton wrote:

> Nice one buddy. Next time you want to reveal the result of the stage, try not to shout it out in
> the subject line. If you want to discuss the results of a stage before BOTH daily highlights shows
> are televised, then do it inside the post, and put a spoiler in the subject line.
>
> Not all of us can get home at 6pm to watch the highlights... spare a thought for those who are
> hanging out for the midnight show, trying their best to avoid finding out any details of the
> racing. Don't scream about someone being "the man" when there are probably many folks reading
> this newsgroup who are trying to avoid finding out who that "man" was until they've seen the
> stage on SBS.

Dave, he didn't mention the result in the title. He merely said Lance was "The Man". I do think you
should lighten up a bit - sounds like you've been working too hard.

- LB

That sportsmanship isn't quite like the sportsmanship from cricket of old or something. Pro cycling
is about making deals within the peleton because racers frequently need cooperation from opponents,
like in a break for example. But doing the dirty is remembered, and there is always the opportunity
for "payback" later on. Been known as an ******** can be a detriment to earnings. IOW it aint really
about sportsmanship.

FWIW, Lance waiting for Ullrich 2 years ago was on a descent and a long way from the finish, so
there was almost no cost to Lance for him to slow down. But yesterday Ullrich waited on the final
climb and had much to lose waiting. He did and some say he shouldn't have - including Phil Ligget.
I'd say he had no bloody choice.

GK

Spider1977 <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yes Theo, that was fantastic sportsmanship. I also admire JU, in fact I admire all these guys.
>
> I can't imagine what it must be like for all the "domestiques" who work so hard for the stars to
> take the glory.
>
> The final days after the rest day will be really interesting. I hope it goes down to the wire,
> I'll be glued to the TV late on Sunday night.;)

LOL One grip required. Jock

"David Sutton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB438BA0.74A2%[email protected]...
> Nice one buddy. Next time you want to reveal the result of the stage, try not to shout it out in
> the subject line. If you want to discuss the
results
> of a stage before BOTH daily highlights shows are televised, then do it inside the post, and put a
> spoiler in the subject line.
>
> Not all of us can get home at 6pm to watch the highlights... spare a
thought
> for those who are hanging out for the midnight show, trying their best to avoid finding out any
> details of the racing. Don't scream about someone being "the man" when there are probably many
> folks reading this newsgroup who are trying to avoid finding out who that "man" was until they've
> seen the stage on SBS.
>

> > From: Spider1977 <[email protected]> Organization: [email protected]
> > Newsgroups: aus.bicycle Date: 22 Jul 2003 21:50:02 +0950 Subject: Lance is "The man"
> >
> > Did you see Lance have that fall, then nearly take off his one remaining nut, then power past JU
> > like he was standing still.
> >
> > As Bruce Macavaney would say it was "special".
> >
> > After reading his book and following his last 3 TdeF's I have nothing but admiration for a true
> > sportsman.:) :) :) :) ;)
> >

> > --

"g" wrote
> That sportsmanship isn't quite like the sportsmanship from cricket of old or something.

No, it's nothing like the sportsmanship of the 1930's bodyline series, or bowling underarm to the
New Zealanders, or betting on a game you're playing in, or even threatening an 11 year old kid
because he saw you smoking.

The sportsmanship of cricket is just a little overrated IMHO.

Theo

Originally posted by David Sutton
Nice one buddy. Next time you want to reveal the result of the stage, try not to shout it out in the
subject line. If you want to discuss the results of a stage before BOTH daily highlights shows are
televised, then do it inside the post, and put a spoiler in the .....

Ekkk, chill out Dave. Maybe you can do your own "stage" this Friday evening thru Richmond or where ever the mass is heading. As a CM Melbourne "homage" to the 100 anniversairy, try wrapping a spare 700C tyre around the shoulder blades to get that special retro TDF look.

But, remember to set the VCR first.;)

ok then, the roller derby which used to be on the tele in the 60's.

David Sutton wrote:
> Nice one buddy. Next time you want to reveal the result of the stage, try not to shout it out in
> the subject line. <snip>

Me too, I hate finding out ANYTHING about a stage before I've seen it on TV. This is why I
self-impose a blackout on newsgroups, TV, radio, and well-meaning colleagues who want to discuss the
TdF - IOW, if you care about not knowing the results so much (as I do), don't go places or do things
where you might find something out by accident. People are ALWAYS going to give things away on a
cycling newsgroup, intentionally or otherwise.

HTH,

&roo

Originally posted by Spider1977
Did you see Lance have that fall, then nearly take off his one remaining nut, then power past JU like he was standing still.

As Bruce Macavaney would say it was "special".

After reading his book and following his last 3 TdeF's I have nothing but admiration for a true sportsman.:) :) :) :) ;)

Armstrong is truly gifted and totally committed. The ability of all the riders is amazing - but as someone else said "don't forget the domestiques."
I have just finished reading that new book by Rupert Guiness - "Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oui Oui Oui" - it is a great read with some good yarns about the Aussies in the TdF from the 1900s to present day.
Tezza

> Did they have 700C tyres back then?
>
> curious hippy

They had singles, which are the same rim size as 700c. In my original copy of "Richards Bike Book"
(a UK book) he mentions in the touring section that people who want to tour in Europe have to either
carry enough 27" tyres and tubes for the trip, or else use 700c (European) tyres, so I suspect that
in the Metric world bike tyres have always been 700c, and it's just us colonialists that got stick
with the crappy inch sizes.

Regards,

Suzy

Originally posted by David Sutton
Nice one buddy. Next time you want to reveal the result of the stage, try not to shout it out in the
subject line. If you want to discuss the results of a stage before BOTH daily highlights shows are
televised, then do it inside the post, and put a spoiler in the subject line.

Not all of us can get home at 6pm to watch the highlights... spare a thought for those who are
hanging out for the midnight show, trying their best to avoid finding out any details of the racing.
Don't scream about someone being "the man" when there are probably many folks reading this newsgroup
who are trying to avoid finding out who that "man" was until they've seen the stage on SBS.

Wow Dave you really do need to lighten up. When I wrote this peiece it was nearly 24 hours since it happened. This is the 21st century buddy - the age of the information super highway. Sounds to me you are either a resident medical officer whose just come off a 48 hour shift or one of those bike couriers who've been discussing how hard they work on another thread here. Either way, I was talking about a super effort, and I think others share my admiration for such a great sportsman - he may be ruthless, but he is good.

And by the way Phil Liggett did not say JU should not have stopped, he simply posed the question for his readers to consider.

If it stops raining I'm going for a ride. See ya Dave.

Andrew Swan wrote:

> David Sutton wrote:
>
>> Nice one buddy. Next time you want to reveal the result of the stage, try not to shout it out in
>> the subject line. <snip>
>

> Me too, I hate finding out ANYTHING about a stage before I've seen it on TV. This is why I
> self-impose a blackout on newsgroups, TV, radio, and well-meaning colleagues who want to discuss
> the TdF - IOW, if you care about not knowing the results so much (as I do), don't go places or do
> things where you might find something out by accident. People are ALWAYS going to give things away
> on a cycling newsgroup, intentionally or otherwise.

So, thanks to the inability of SBS to broadcast one stage until the other is *about to start*,
you're only able to talk about cycling between the hours of 18:30 and about 01:00 every day
during the Tour.

Does this not strike you as just a tad nutty, not to say barking mad?

Of course you have the right to be any variety of loon you like, as long as nobody gets hurt who
doesn't want to be, but still...

Gee... I'm amazed at the people who have queued up to give their $0.02 worth on this thread. But if
you feel like flaming, then good on you... that's the freedom of the internet. FWIW, I do realise we
are in the 21st century, but there are still those of us who like to watch a sporting event on the
telly without knowing who won it. Makes it that bit more exciting, no? All I'm asking for is the
same netiquette that applies to things like posts re: movies & tv shows, where giving away the plot
twists in the subject line is considered very bad form. I certainly share your admiration for Lance,
but I was pretty miffed at getting a "heads-up" that he had done something studly before I had
watched the stage.

> Wow Dave you really do need to lighten up. When I wrote this peiece it was nearly 24 hours since
> it happened. This is the 21st century buddy - the age of the information super highway. Sounds to
> me you are either a resident medical officer whose just come off a 48 hour shift or one of those
> bike couriers who've been discussing how hard they work on another thread here. Either way, I was
> talking about a super effort, and I think others share my admiration for such a great sportsman -
> he may be ruthless, but he is good.
>
> And by the way Phil Liggett did not say JU should not have stopped, he simply posed the question
> for his readers to consider.
>
> If it stops raining I'm going for a ride. See ya Dave.

Have a great ride :) After all, that's what it's all about.

"John Stevenson" wrote

> So, thanks to the inability of SBS to broadcast one stage until the other is *about to start*,
> you're only able to talk about cycling between the hours of 18:30 and about 01:00 every day
> during the
Tour.

I watched tonight's 6:00pm SBS broadcast on Fox at 6 this morning.

:)

Theo Working from home today. Gotta love that metaframe stuff.

"g" wrote
> Theo Bekkers wrote:

> > The sportsmanship of cricket is just a little overrated IMHO.

> ok then, the roller derby which used to be on the tele in the 60's.

Ouch!

Theo