Lance may have one ball, but Heras has none

[email protected] (iocat) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<Ucrbb.538285$YN5.361489@sccrnsc01>...
> > "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "Kiem Madvanen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > He must be tired after towing Armstrong up all the climbs in the tour ! Or maybe he has
> > > lost his edge being one of Lances' flunkies.
> >
> > Cycling is a team sport, something newbies like you need to learn a little about.
> >
> > -Ken
> >
> > > Graham
> > >

> Well, if it's a team sport, why isn't armstrong out there helping his "team"?

Hey Newbie #2 of the week -- US Postal has more than 9 racers.

Barry Bonds only plays 80% of the Giants games.

Armstrong's value to the sponser is 95% related to two races: the TOUR and San Francisco.

Glad to clue you in...

-Ken

"Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Kiem Madvanen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > How does he expect to regain maximum time if he waits until 5 km to attack (if he does at all)?
> > Takes guts to attack further out. What does he have to lose, he's already won the Vuelta before?
> >
> > Zub
>
> He must be tired after towing Armstrong up all the climbs in the tour ! Or maybe he has lost
> his edge being one of Lances' flunkies.

Hey Graham Newbie, How do you feel now that a flunky won the Vuelta?

-Ken

Steve McGinty <stephenmcginty@ntlworld_DOT_.com> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On 21 Sep 2003 08:26:33 -0700, [email protected] (Kiem Madvanen) wrote:
>
> >How does he expect to regain maximum time if he waits until 5 km to attack (if he does at all)?
> >Takes guts to attack further out. What does he have to lose, he's already won the Vuelta before?
> >
> >Zub
>
> Jeez! Heras did well today. Did you see the size of the group? Taking a minute was a useful gain
> in the circumstances.
>
> Regards! Stephen

Quite useful, since that minute proved decisive in gaining Heras the lead!

In retrospect, maybe he noticed that Nozal was cracking. Overall, Nozal was more impressive,
especially with that first Time Trial. However, it is very tough to defend the Golden Jersy for
almost the entire race, since you have to spend energy responding to many of the attacks that occur,
when they are made by GC rivals. Perhaps the fact that Nozal took the lead in La Vuelta, based on
his first ITT, turned out to be a curse in disguise.

But La Vuelta is a 3 week race, and Nozal was unable to keep uf his form for the entire period. I
had a feeling that finishing with a Mountain Individual Time Trial was going to be epic. Maybe in
the future, the TdF will seek to emulate the Spanish example more frequently.

Heras was fortunate to win, given his demonstrated weakness in flat parcours ITT stages. He
needs to be able to improve his performance on those stages. Nor was this Vuelta especially
favorable for climbers, since there wer not that many ESP climbs among the stages. On the
other hand, he came out and won what proved to be the most important stage, so he is a
deserving champion.

Good for the US Postal Team...a real coup to win 2 of the Grand Tours. Hopefully this will mean
that there is life after Lance retires.

"Kiem Madvanen" <[email protected]> schreef in
> How does he expect to regain maximum time if he waits until 5 km to attack (if he does at all)?
> Takes guts to attack further out. What does he have to lose, he's already won the Vuelta before?

Can you give us an update on the Heras Ball Count?

"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Kiem Madvanen" <[email protected]> schreef in
> > How does he expect to regain maximum time if he waits until 5 km to attack (if he does at all)?
> > Takes guts to attack further out. What does he have to lose, he's already won the Vuelta before?
>
> Can you give us an update on the Heras Ball Count?

And size.

"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Kiem Madvanen" <[email protected]> schreef in
> > How does he expect to regain maximum time if he waits until 5 km to attack (if he does at all)?
> > Takes guts to attack further out. What does he have to lose, he's already won the Vuelta before?
>
> Can you give us an update on the Heras Ball Count?

I think Heras did a kick-ass job over the past few stages taking time out of Nozal. But I still
think he wasn't aggressive enough in the stage in question, based on what I saw of his abilities and
of Nozal's dislike for 10%+ grades. 28 seconds is cutting it pretty close in a 3 week long race.
Maybe I had it wrong, Heras had HUGE balls, he was so sure of his abilities that he was just trying
to keep it interesting.

Zub

"Kiem Madvanen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Kiem Madvanen" <[email protected]> schreef in
> > > How does he expect to regain maximum time if he waits until 5 km to attack (if he does at
> > > all)? Takes guts to attack further out. What does he have to lose, he's already won the Vuelta
> > > before?
> >
> > Can you give us an update on the Heras Ball Count?
>
> I think Heras did a kick-ass job over the past few stages taking time out of Nozal. But I still
> think he wasn't aggressive enough in the stage in question, based on what I saw of his abilities
> and of Nozal's dislike for 10%+ grades. 28 seconds is cutting it pretty close in a 3 week long
> race. Maybe I had it wrong, Heras had HUGE balls, he was so sure of his abilities that he was just
> trying to keep it interesting.

Dumbass -

Obviously you got it wrong. Heras never reached beyond his capabilities, allowing him to recover
well day to day and in the end . . .