Lance on Jim Rome

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by psycholist, Apr 1, 2005.

  1. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    www.jimrome.com

    Lance denied ever taking anything and said they can keep his samples and
    test them 15 or 20 years from now.

    Not the usual, "I've never tested positive" stuff.
    --
    Bob C.

    "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
    T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

    Tags:

  2. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    Sorry, this is a subscription site. I've read some reports about what was
    said over on slowtwitch.com in the forums. Sounds like Lance asked to be on
    the show for some damage control and made some very emphatic
    statements/denials of ever using banned PEDs.

    Didn't hear it for myself, but sounds interesting. Oh ... and I'm too cheap
    to pay Rome to hear Lance spew.
    --
    Bob C.

    "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
    T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)
    "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > www.jimrome.com
    >
    > Lance denied ever taking anything and said they can keep his samples and
    > test them 15 or 20 years from now.
    >
    > Not the usual, "I've never tested positive" stuff.
    > --
    > Bob C.
    >
    > "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
    > T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    psycholist wrote:
    > Sorry, this is a subscription site. I've read some reports about

    what was
    > said over on slowtwitch.com in the forums. Sounds like Lance asked

    to be on
    > the show for some damage control and made some very emphatic
    > statements/denials of ever using banned PEDs.
    >
    > Didn't hear it for myself, but sounds interesting. Oh ... and I'm

    too cheap
    > to pay Rome to hear Lance spew.
    > --
    > Bob C.
    >
    > "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
    > T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)
    > "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > www.jimrome.com
    > >
    > > Lance denied ever taking anything and said they can keep his

    samples and
    > > test them 15 or 20 years from now.
    > >
    > > Not the usual, "I've never tested positive" stuff.
    > > --
    > > Bob C.
    > >
    > > "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
    > > T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

    I've been listening to the Rome show on am radio, and heard the
    interview and the seemingly hundreds of phone calls afterwards. For
    that matter, I saw the interview on ESPN this morning w/ Anderson.

    >From the ESPN interview and the info I've read on the allegations, it

    seems painfully clear that we're dealing with a disgruntled former
    employee who THOUGHT he'd latched onto the golden teat, and is pissed
    that his job was terminated. He's so pissed he's making completely
    unfounded and unverifiable allegations in an attempt to discredit
    Armstrong. His (Anderson's, that is) momma should be ashamed of him.

    As for Lance on Rome, it was a definitive, clear denial. No waffling,
    no legal-ese, no BS. He seemed geniunely irritated, as to be expected.

    Unlike the throng of r.b.r. loonies who want to attack Lance at every
    opportunity, 100% of the callers (at least 100% of the one's they put
    through on the show) were completely behind Lance. Seems his
    reputation in the general public (US, at least) has NOT been tarnished
    by any of these allegations. If anything, he's apparently developing
    quite a bit of sympathy out there. The US non-cycling public loves the
    guy.

    S.

  4. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Sorry, this is a subscription site. I've read some reports about what was
    > said over on slowtwitch.com in the forums. Sounds like Lance asked to be
    > on the show for some damage control and made some very emphatic
    > statements/denials of ever using banned PEDs.
    >
    > Didn't hear it for myself, but sounds interesting. Oh ... and I'm too
    > cheap to pay Rome to hear Lance spew.
    > --
    > Bob C.
    >
    > "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
    > T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)
    > "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> www.jimrome.com
    >>
    >> Lance denied ever taking anything and said they can keep his samples and
    >> test them 15 or 20 years from now.
    >>
    >> Not the usual, "I've never tested positive" stuff.
    >> --
    >> Bob C.
    >>
    >> "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
    >> T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

    Anderson was on ESPN this morning and he came across as very credible.

  5. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Unlike the throng of r.b.r. loonies who want to attack Lance at every
    > opportunity, 100% of the callers (at least 100% of the one's they put
    > through on the show) were completely behind Lance.

    Interesting. Which rbr are you tuning in to? Rome and Armstrong go back
    several years together. Rome essentially worships the ground Armstrong
    walks on; water too for that matter. Do you really think they'd let anyone
    calling in question Armstrong's veracity? If you do, I have real estate for
    you.

    > Seems his
    > reputation in the general public (US, at least) has NOT been tarnished
    > by any of these allegations. If anything, he's apparently developing
    > quite a bit of sympathy out there. The US non-cycling public loves the
    > guy.
    >
    > S.

  6. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Hmmm... anyone out there have any doubts that Lafferty would've
    responded any other way that he did to my note or to Bob C.'s ?

    Anderson was anything but credible. He's an extortionist, nothing
    more. You see, employers don't fire folks they're afraid of. They
    promote them, pay them off, whatever. If Lance really thought Anderson
    had the goods on him, as Anderson alleges, would Lance really send him
    packing without a sufficient buyout and confidentiality agreement? No.

    Too bad he didn't work for M. Jackson. He might have gotten paid off.

    For what it's worth, I'm fully aware of Rome's love for Lance, and I
    took that into consideration as I listened to his show.

  7. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    > Anderson was on ESPN this morning and he came across as very credible.

    You're the only person I've heard who saw it and thought so. It doesn't
    sound to me like there's much of anything in what Anderson is saying or
    doing that has much credibility. He says he saw something. He says he's
    not sure what it was, but he looked it up on WADA.com and it was banned. He
    never saw Lance taking it. And, oh by the way, he's in a legal pissing
    contest with Lance.

    There's nothing concrete here. There's only the word of a disgruntled
    former employee vs. Lance. HA! This guy wasn't even smart enough to wait
    until a week before the Tour to heighten interest in his story.
    --
    Bob C.

    "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
    T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

  8. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    > Anderson was on ESPN this morning and he came across as very credible.

    Let me see, who would I believe........Lance Armstrong or a lawyer? Hard one
    that.

  9. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Anderson was on ESPN this morning and he came across as very credible.

    > Let me see, who would I believe........Lance Armstrong or a lawyer? Hard
    > one that.

    That'd be a hard one even if Lance were caught doping red-handed!
    --
    Bob C.

    "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
    T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

  10. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hmmm... anyone out there have any doubts that Lafferty would've
    > responded any other way that he did to my note or to Bob C.'s ?

    Personal attacks prove nothing.

    > Anderson was anything but credible.

    Your opinion and that's ok. I ran into two people I don't know at my LBS
    today who saw Anderson on ESPN and found him believable. Credibility is for
    the trier of fact, be that judge or jury, to determine in context with the
    totality of the evidence.

    > He's an extortionist, nothing
    > more. You see, employers don't fire folks they're afraid of. They
    > promote them, pay them off, whatever.

    You must live in a very interesting business world. And, you're making
    quite a few assumptions about Armstrong as an employer (as opposed to
    Tailwind) that may or may not be valid.

    > If Lance really thought Anderson
    > had the goods on him, as Anderson alleges, would Lance really send him
    > packing without a sufficient buyout and confidentiality agreement? No.

    My understanding is that Armstrong did try to get Anderson to sign a
    confidentiality agreement and that he apparently refused. As a strategy,
    commencing an action against someone with a strong case is often best,
    especially when you can afford to pay hefty legal fees as Armstrong can.

    > Too bad he didn't work for M. Jackson. He might have gotten paid off.

    Does Michael race bicycles?

    > For what it's worth, I'm fully aware of Rome's love for Lance, and I
    > took that into consideration as I listened to his show.

    It's not worth very much because you don't know how many non-positive calls
    were received by the Rome show.

  11. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    > I ran into two people I don't know at my LBS today who saw Anderson on
    > ESPN and found him believable.

    Were they anonymous rbr posters as well?

  12. Jet

    Jet Guest

    On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 14:59:05 -0500, "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sorry, this is a subscription site. I've read some reports about what was
    >said over on slowtwitch.com in the forums. Sounds like Lance asked to be on
    >the show for some damage control and made some very emphatic
    >statements/denials of ever using banned PEDs.

    I'm a little surprised. Don't PR people counsel not to give these obviously
    dumbass comments wings by replying to them? Seems to me the typical LA
    thing to do would be to say nothing and file additional lawsuits? Since the
    guy has no proof and can't even remember the name of this alleged stuff
    you'd think his lawyer would be cringing.

    jj

    >Didn't hear it for myself, but sounds interesting. Oh ... and I'm too cheap
    >to pay Rome to hear Lance spew.

  13. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> I ran into two people I don't know at my LBS today who saw Anderson on
    >> ESPN and found him believable.

    > Were they anonymous rbr posters as well?

    If I run into them again, I'll be certain to ask them.

  14. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> Anderson was on ESPN this morning and he came across as very credible.

    >> Let me see, who would I believe........Lance Armstrong or a lawyer? Hard
    >> one that.
    >>

    > That'd be a hard one even if Lance were caught doping red-handed!

    Would you believe Lance Armstrong's lawyer?

  15. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    > "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]

    >>> Let me see, who would I believe........Lance Armstrong or a lawyer? Hard
    >>> one that.
    >>>

    >> That'd be a hard one even if Lance were caught doping red-handed!

    > Would you believe Lance Armstrong's lawyer?

    Ha ... I couldn't say. I'm in dangerous territory here. I'm married to a
    lawyer and right now she's in the room using my fax machine. Gotta lay low.

    Bob C.

  16. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]

    >>> That'd be a hard one even if Lance were caught doping red-handed!

    >> Would you believe Lance Armstrong's lawyer?

    > Ha ... I couldn't say. I'm in dangerous territory here. I'm married to a
    > lawyer and right now she's in the room using my fax machine. Gotta lay
    > low.
    >
    > Bob C.

    Good luck. :)

  17. B. Lafferty wrote:

    > Anderson was on ESPN this morning and he came across as very

    credible.

    So you're buying real estate from him.

    ray

  18. psycholist wrote:
    > news:[email protected]
    >

    >>Anderson was on ESPN this morning and he came across as very credible.

    > You're the only person I've heard who saw it and thought so. It doesn't
    > sound to me like there's much of anything in what Anderson is saying or
    > doing that has much credibility. He says he saw something. He says he's
    > not sure what it was, but he looked it up on WADA.com and it was banned. He
    > never saw Lance taking it. And, oh by the way, he's in a legal pissing
    > contest with Lance.
    >
    > There's nothing concrete here. There's only the word of a disgruntled
    > former employee vs. Lance. HA! This guy wasn't even smart enough to wait
    > until a week before the Tour to heighten interest in his story.

    What Brian really means is this:

    1. Anderson finds Andro in Girona apartment.
    2. Anderson asks for $500/month raise.
    3. Armstrong interprets this as a form of legal extortion related to the
    Andro DISCOVERY.
    4. Armstrong gives Anderson the raise.
    5. Armstrong asks Anderson to sign a confidentiality agreement to
    preempt disclosure of the Andro DISCOVERY.
    6. Anderson says no way, Lancé.
    7. Anderson asks for $500,000, signed yellow jersey, and endorsement to
    set up a bike shop to buy his hush-up (but doesn't come ut and say he
    knows about the Andro)
    8. Armstrong sees the writing on the wall and sues Anderson, knowing
    full well that a claim of finding Andro in a countersuit will look like
    retaliation for the lawsuit. Armstrong gains the upper hand in the PR war.

    Magilla

  19. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:
    > What Brian really means is this:

    > 1. Anderson finds Andro in Girona apartment.
    > 2. Anderson asks for $500/month raise.
    > 3. Armstrong interprets this as a form of legal extortion related to the
    > Andro DISCOVERY.
    > 4. Armstrong gives Anderson the raise.
    > 5. Armstrong asks Anderson to sign a confidentiality agreement to
    > preempt disclosure of the Andro DISCOVERY.
    > 6. Anderson says no way, Lanc?.
    > 7. Anderson asks for $500,000, signed yellow jersey, and endorsement to
    > set up a bike shop to buy his hush-up (but doesn't come ut and say he
    > knows about the Andro)
    > 8. Armstrong sees the writing on the wall and sues Anderson, knowing
    > full well that a claim of finding Andro in a countersuit will look like
    > retaliation for the lawsuit. Armstrong gains the upper hand in the PR war.

    > Magilla

    Wow! That actually made sense. I'm astounded to be in agreement!

    Bob Schwartz
    [email protected]

  20. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Ha ... I couldn't say. I'm in dangerous territory here. I'm married to a
    > lawyer and right now she's in the room using my fax machine. Gotta lay
    > low.

    So THAT'S the way you used to cover all your legal costs!