Lance on Larry King

I am curious does any one know that people every day are starting to use EPO to try to cure cancer. It is in preliminary stage but my friend, a person I met in chemistry 1311, had been saying that steroids for immune and blood system where being used to combat cancer. I have found some web sights that support this. If anyone would like more on this please tell me. If lance was taking drugs do to a medical advice that was legitimate at the time then he should not be discredited.

Tom Bowman

thebluetrain said:
Yes I would love a translation.

Right here goes - where do I send the bill? I have translated Armstrong's quotes as I understand them in French rather than gone back to the LK transcript. Posting the original as I do not pretend that this is the definitive translation. (But I would like to think it is better than an automatic one)

Les Doutes D'Armstrong
Le septuple vainqueur du Tour de France, Lance Armstrong, a poursuivi jeudi sa défense contre les accusations de dopage dont il fait l'objet depuis mardi en mettant en doute les résultats des analyses. «Un gars dans un laboratoire parisien ouvre votre échantillon. Il le teste. Il n'y a personne pour l'observer, aucun protocole n'est suivi. Et ensuite vous recevez un appel d'un journal disant "nous avons découvert que vous avez été six fois positif à l'EPO". Depuis quand un journal gouverne-t-il le sport?», a déclaré Armstrong lors de l'émission de CNN, «Larry King Live».

Armstrong's Doubts
The seven time winner of the TdF, LA, (Thursday)continued his defense agains the doping accusations which have been made against him since tuesday by casting doubt on the results of the tests. " Some guy in a Paris lab opens your sample and tests it - there is no one to obaserve him, no protocol is followed. And then you geta call from a paper saying we've discovered that you tested positive for EPO six times. Since when does a newspaer govern sport?" Armstrong said on CNN' s LK Live

«Cela est dégueulasse. Ce n'est pas bon pour moi. Le problème est que vous devez vivre avec quelque chose que l'on pourra vous renvoyer à la figure toute votre vie. Le protocole n'a pas été suivi et il n'y a même pas de second échantillon pour confirmer ce qu'ils disent être un échantillon positif», a regretté Armstrong. Nous voulons tous un sport propre. Une organisation appelée AMA (Agence mondiale antidopage) est arrivée et a gouverné le monde antidopage. Ils ont créé un protocole et un code avec lequel tout le monde doit vivre. Et ils ont violé ce code plusieurs fois.», a insisté Armstrong.

"It's disgusting, It is bad for me - The problem is that you have to live with something which can be thrown back in your face for the rest of your life. The protocols were not followed and there wasn't a second sample to confirm what they are say is a positive sample" Armstong complained "We all want a clear sport. An organisation called WADA came along and ran the anti-doping world - The set up a protocol and a code which everyone has to live by - and they have violated this code" Armstrong contended

En réponse, le Texan, présent dans les bureaux new-yorkais de CNN, a affirmé qu'il n'excluait pas de lancer une action légale. «C'est une possibilité. Mais nous devons réfléchir contre qui ? Le laboratoire? L'Equipe? Le ministère des sports (français)? L'AMA? Mais cela a un coût et constitue une perte de temps. En plus cela laisse des traces d'une sale histoire. C'est plus de publicité qu'ils (ceux qui ont sorti l'affaire) ne méritent.»

The Texan, who was live CNNs new york studios, confirmed that he had not ruled out legal action. "But against who? The lab? "L'Equipe"? The (French) Ministry of Sports? WADA? But there is a cost involved and a loss of time. Also this would leave traces of a dirty story - It's more publicity than they (those who broke the story) deserve"

Vengeance française
Armstrong, qui aura 34 ans le 18 septembre, est ensuite revenu sur le scénario d'une vengeance des Français à son encontre, en expliquant qu'il fallait «considérer le fait que le paysage entre les Etats-Unis et la France est taché. L'histoire était trop belle pour être vraie pour eux. Un jour, j'avais un coéquipier français et il m'a dit "regarde-moi Lance. Les Français n'aiment pas les vainqueurs". Le cyclisme en France est dans un de ses moments les plus calmes», a affirmé Armstrong, qui a raconté qu'un sondage en France l'avait placé en troisième position des athlètes les plus haïs.

French Revenge
Armstrong, who will be 34 on Septemeber 18, then brought up the scenario of the French taking revenge against him, explaining than you have to "consider the fact that, the relationship between France and the US is poor. the story was too good to be true for them. One day, one of my french team mates said - "look Lance, the French don't like winners" French cycling is going through a fallow period" Armstrong stated, and mentioned that a survey in France put him in third place of the "Most-hated athletes"

Well it's all manipulation I believe (and others, note europeans agreed with me on this) that this is a fight between LA and the french newspapers...

For LA saying he's the third most hated athlete in france......pff how many people voted on the poll......most french like/adore him.....(btw the basque and german people were extremely angry during alpe d'huez not the french...just a small sidenote)

Aaah well........it's like talking to a wall.......the world is not as simplistic as THE french against THE americans.......

liamo said:
Right here goes - where do I send the bill? I have translated Armstrong's quotes as I understand them in French rather than gone back to the LK transcript. Posting the original as I do not pretend that this is the definitive translation. (But I would like to think it is better than an automatic one)

Les Doutes D'Armstrong
Le septuple vainqueur du Tour de France, Lance Armstrong, a poursuivi jeudi sa défense contre les accusations de dopage dont il fait l'objet depuis mardi en mettant en doute les résultats des analyses. «Un gars dans un laboratoire parisien ouvre votre échantillon. Il le teste. Il n'y a personne pour l'observer, aucun protocole n'est suivi. Et ensuite vous recevez un appel d'un journal disant "nous avons découvert que vous avez été six fois positif à l'EPO". Depuis quand un journal gouverne-t-il le sport?», a déclaré Armstrong lors de l'émission de CNN, «Larry King Live».

Armstrong's Doubts
The seven time winner of the TdF, LA, (Thursday)continued his defense agains the doping accusations which have been made against him since tuesday by casting doubt on the results of the tests. " Some guy in a Paris lab opens your sample and tests it - there is no one to obaserve him, no protocol is followed. And then you geta call from a paper saying we've discovered that you tested positive for EPO six times" Armstrong said on CNN' s LK Live

«Cela est dégueulasse. Ce n'est pas bon pour moi. Le problème est que vous devez vivre avec quelque chose que l'on pourra vous renvoyer à la figure toute votre vie. Le protocole n'a pas été suivi et il n'y a même pas de second échantillon pour confirmer ce qu'ils disent être un échantillon positif», a regretté Armstrong. Nous voulons tous un sport propre. Une organisation appelée AMA (Agence mondiale antidopage) est arrivée et a gouverné le monde antidopage. Ils ont créé un protocole et un code avec lequel tout le monde doit vivre. Et ils ont violé ce code plusieurs fois.», a insisté Armstrong.

"It's disgusting, It is bad for me - The problem is that you have to live with something which can be thrown back in your face for the rest of your life. The protocols were not followed and there wasn't a second sample to confirm what they are say is a positive sample" Armstong complained "We all want a clear sport. An organisation called WADA came along and ran the anti-doping world - The set up a protocol and a code which everyone has to live by - and they have violated this code" Armstrong contended

En réponse, le Texan, présent dans les bureaux new-yorkais de CNN, a affirmé qu'il n'excluait pas de lancer une action légale. «C'est une possibilité. Mais nous devons réfléchir contre qui ? Le laboratoire? L'Equipe? Le ministère des sports (français)? L'AMA? Mais cela a un coût et constitue une perte de temps. En plus cela laisse des traces d'une sale histoire. C'est plus de publicité qu'ils (ceux qui ont sorti l'affaire) ne méritent.»

The Texan, who was live CNNs new york studios, confirmed that he had not ruled out legal action. "But against who? The lab? "L'Equipe"? The (French) Ministry of Sports? WADA? But there is a cost involved and a loss of time. Also this would leave traces of a dirty story - It's more publicity than they (those who broke the story) deserve"

Vengeance française
Armstrong, qui aura 34 ans le 18 septembre, est ensuite revenu sur le scénario d'une vengeance des Français à son encontre, en expliquant qu'il fallait «considérer le fait que le paysage entre les Etats-Unis et la France est taché. L'histoire était trop belle pour être vraie pour eux. Un jour, j'avais un coéquipier français et il m'a dit "regarde-moi Lance. Les Français n'aiment pas les vainqueurs". Le cyclisme en France est dans un de ses moments les plus calmes», a affirmé Armstrong, qui a raconté qu'un sondage en France l'avait placé en troisième position des athlètes les plus haïs.

French Revenge
Armstrong, who will be 34 on Septemeber 18, then brought up the scenario of the French taking revenge against him, explaining than you have to "consider the fact that, the relationship between France and the US is poor. the story was too good to be true for them. One day, one of my french team mates said - "look Lance, the French don't like winners" French cycling is going through a fallow period" Armstrong stated, and mentioned that a survey in France put him in third place of the "Most-hated athletes"

MJtje said:
Well it's all manipulation I believe (and others, note europeans agreed with me on this) that this is a fight between LA and the french newspapers...

For LA saying he's the third most hated athlete in france......pff how many people voted on the poll......most french like/adore him.....(btw the basque and german people were extremely angry during alpe d'huez not the french...just a small sidenote)

Aaah well........it's like talking to a wall.......the world is not as simplistic as THE french against THE americans.......

It would appear to be this one

Les sportifs les moins appréciés par les Français
Question:parmi la liste suivante, quels sont les deux sportifs que vous appréciez le moins ?
Question - From the following list - who are the two sportspeople you least like?
Ensemble des Français
%
Michael Schumacher 27
Nicolas Anelka 22
Lance Armstrong 20
Les sœurs Williams 19
David Beckham 18
Richard Virenque 16
Mary Pierce 13
Marcel Desailly 12
Anna Kournikova 12
Marion Jones 10
Autre (réponse non suggérée) 1
- Ne se prononcent pas 11

Interestingly - among 15-24 year olds - it runs Anelka, (French footballer) Schumacher Virenque, Armstrong, Desailly (also French footballer)

http://www.ifop.com/europe/sondages/OPINIONF/sportifsdeplaisants.asp

kennf said:
Thanks for the translation. WBT's read like a bad instruction manual.
I agree as I dont speak French, only German, which is one more language than you...... but you and BT still have shown me were the bias is in the L'Equipe article in regards to Larry King..... ? Because they have been gunning for him for 7 years right ?

SO two Americans in the top 10 and the rest Europeans with 4 French amoungst them ... gee they really are after the Americans ! LOL !

I really feel for LA now.... he is so hard done by French... they are always looking after their own ! Ha ha ha ! This is great stuff ! Again he shoots himself in the foot !

liamo said:

Question:parmi la liste suivante, quels sont les deux sportifs que vous appréciez le moins ?
Question - From the following list - who are the two sportspeople you least like?
Ensemble des Français
%
Michael Schumacher 27
Nicolas Anelka 22
Lance Armstrong 20
Les sœurs Williams 19
David Beckham 18
Richard Virenque 16
Mary Pierce 13
Marcel Desailly 12
Anna Kournikova 12
Marion Jones 10

Interestingly - among 15-24 year olds - it runs Anelka, (French footballer) Schumacher Virenque, Armstrong, Desailly (also French footballer)

whiteboytrash said:
SO two Americans in the top 10 and the rest Europeans with 4 French amoungst them ... gee they really are after the Americans ! LOL !

I really feel for LA now.... he is so hard done by French... they are always looking after their own ! Ha ha ha ! This is great stuff ! Again he shoots himself in the foot !
.....oh and this was a massive cross-section of people throughout France... all 1006 of them ! France has a population of 60 Million people, so that’s 0.0000167% of the population think Lance Armstrong is the third most hated sportsman in France ! Oh Dear.

It's obvious LA doesn't know anything about soccer......or else he would've known Anelka (one cocky footballer who has had to many clubs).......and talking about that list I would put Mary Pierce at no 1 by faaaaaaaaaar......is that one arrogant women during a tennis game with her facial expressions..........I liked the roland garros final: pierce started crying out loudly when she lost big time against Henin (6-1 6-0).......

Back to lance okeeee:cool:

liamo said:

Ensemble des Français
%
Michael Schumacher 27
Nicolas Anelka 22
Lance Armstrong 20
Les sœurs Williams 19
David Beckham 18
Richard Virenque 16
Mary Pierce 13
Marcel Desailly 12
Anna Kournikova 12
Marion Jones 10

The use of epo can produce 20% gains overnight. Overall time differences in the tour between the top finishers and the last finishers are far less than 20%. If anyone in the the peloton was using epo, which they are, it would be apparent that an individual's performance has drastically improved. But why do we see the same cyclist consistantly leading the tour? Lance Armstrong is the strongest epo user in the doped up peleton. Cycling, whether we like it or not, is a sport where nice guys finish last.

whiteboytrash said:

I don't think he is shooting himself in the foot - but if you look at the survey it doesn't exactly appear to be the most in-depth thing I've ever seen - Basically they picked 10 names and went up to 1006 French people and said "which two don't you like"!! Also it was done on behalf of "Le Journal de Dimanche" which isn't exactly the French paper of record!

WBT - as for l'Equipe bias - well there were some pretty mean articles during this year's tour - there was a daily "My Lance Armstrong" memories feature, which tended to accentuate the negative (I think procycling mentioned the Landis one) and as I posted somewhere else, the singling out of LA over the Casartelli commeration (July 19) was simply petty. I think it is fair to say that there are a fair number of journos on their staff who have it in for him

whiteboytrash said:
I agree with you but this is not the way it works in the legal sense. Lance knows this and so do his lawyers.

In a legal sense? Sure it does. EPO is considered a performance enhancing drug, when taken without an illness or injury related need. In the context of cycling, the act of taking drugs to enhance athletic performance is referred to as 'doping'. Since Lance is a professional cyclist, any references he makes to 'doping' are assumed to be a reference to taking PED's.

When Lance says "I have never doped", it means he has never taken PED's to increase his professional cycling ability. That includes EPO, which is considered a PED when taken without a medical need. That includes 1999, because he was definitely engaged in pro cycling that year. This definition also excludes the EPO he was given while on chemotherapy, because that prescription was for an illness related condition, not for performance enhancement, and was clear of his system long before he resumed cycling.

That's how it would go in a US court, anyway. Any first year law school student could make that case. French courts would see it that way, too. And I can guarantee you Lance's lawyers can argue that case a lot better than I can.

It's just the French media that has a problem.

Thanks JohnO I have to say you're right. There is such a fine line between what is implied, what is the truth and what is consumed. In this particular case we have everything. The emotional attachment to the legend of Lance, the factual evidence and what public perceptions are. It so difficult to derive a result from all of it.

JohnO said:
In a legal sense? Sure it does. EPO is considered a performance enhancing drug, when taken without an illness or injury related need. In the context of cycling, the act of taking drugs to enhance athletic performance is referred to as 'doping'. Since Lance is a professional cyclist, any references he makes to 'doping' are assumed to be a reference to taking PED's.

When Lance says "I have never doped", it means he has never taken PED's to increase his professional cycling ability. That includes EPO, which is considered a PED when taken without a medical need. That includes 1999, because he was definitely engaged in pro cycling that year. This definition also excludes the EPO he was given while on chemotherapy, because that prescription was for an illness related condition, not for performance enhancement, and was clear of his system long before he resumed cycling.

That's how it would go in a US court, anyway. Any first year law school student could make that case. French courts would see it that way, too. And I can guarantee you Lance's lawyers can argue that case a lot better than I can.

It's just the French media that has a problem.

liamo said:
WBT - as for l'Equipe bias - well there were some pretty mean articles during this year's tour - there was a daily "My Lance Armstrong" memories feature, which tended to accentuate the negative (I think procycling mentioned the Landis one) and as I posted somewhere else, the singling out of LA over the Casartelli commeration (July 19) was simply petty. I think it is fair to say that there are a fair number of journos on their staff who have it in for him
I have a copy of an issue this year and with the "My Lance Armstrong" memories feature, Beloki gave a heartfelt account of his crash en-route to Gap. He said the first guy to call him is hospital was 'Lance'. Yes some ex-riders said 'they didn't know him and he seemed arrogant' but current riders he know him said he is the boss and a patron of the peleton.

This quote from Lance I find very calculating:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ARMSTRONG: Our defense when we look at this thing and we say -- and I guess I try to ask people to sit in my seat and say, "OK, you know, a guy in a French -- in a Parisian laboratory opens up your sample, you know, Jean-Francis so and so, and he tests it. Nobody's there to observe. No protocol was followed. And then you get a phone call from a newspaper that says we found you to be positive six times for EPO.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lance is making it sound that the lab tech knew it was his sample he was testing rather that a "numbered sample" with no name attached to the actual sample while the test is being done. He does not say that exactly but that is his implication. How does he know that protocol was not followed in the testing procedure? Just because it got leaked to the press does not mean protocol in testing was not followed.

The World Anti Doping Agency will be getting involved and I am sure the whloe procedure will have been gone over with a fine tooth comb.

Another disengenuous statement was this:
ARMSTRONG: Listen, I've said it for seven years. I've said it for longer than seven years. I have never doped. I can say it again. But I've said it for seven years. It doesn't help. But the fact of the matter is I haven't. And if you consider my situation: A guy who comes back from arguably, you know, a death sentence, why would I then enter into a sport and dope myself up and risk my life again? That's crazy. I would never do that. No. No way."

Please Lance, considering EPO can be used in cancer treatment I seriously doubt that you would have been risking your life again. That does not fly.

whiteboytrash said:
I agree as I dont speak French, only German, which is one more language than you...... but you and BT still have shown me were the bias is in the L'Equipe article in regards to Larry King..... ? Because they have been gunning for him for 7 years right ?

Are you sure you're responding to the right person?

whiteboytrash said:
WBT the only reason I asked you to translate the article was I wanted to see if you could do it. I never said or implied anywhere that the French translation was wrong, incorrect, or biased. If you notice, I even gave you credit where credit was due.