Lance on Ullrich/ T Mobile

B. Lafferty wrote:
> Armstong's talking smack but with a difference this year. There's a new odor in the room when he
> speaks. It's the odor or fear; fear of losing; fear of aging. His season debut next week will be
> interesting.

"July will tell, but I'll put my money on Ullrich." B Lafferty, 21 Jan 2000

In 2000, Armstrong opened his season at Vuelta Comunidad Valenciana. After miserable results, he
abandoned on stage 4: http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2000/feb00/val00.shtml

Dan

"Dan Connelly" <d_j_c_o_n_n_e_l@i_e_e_e.o_r_g> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> B. Lafferty wrote:
> > Armstong's talking smack but with a difference this year. There's a new odor in the room when he
> > speaks. It's the odor or fear; fear of losing; fear of aging. His season debut next week will be
> > interesting.
> >

> "July will tell, but I'll put my money on Ullrich." B Lafferty, 21 Jan 2000

If I could accurately predict the future, I would't be making predictions here. I'd be betting
elsewhere and consulting with my investment advisor.

"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Chester Kuhn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > http://www.procycling.com/news_main.asp?newsId=4915
>
> Armstong's talking smack but with a difference this year. There's a new odor in the room when he
> speaks. It's the odor or fear; fear of losing; fear of aging. His season debut next week will be
> interesting.

I think Armstrong is simply facing reality. This will probably prove to be a very hard year for
Armstrong. Lance will have to be more disciplined than ever this year. Quite frankly I am really
suprised that Lance decided to spend more time in the US. If I were Lance I would have worked out a
deal to let the kids stay in europe if that were possible.

"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Chester Kuhn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > http://www.procycling.com/news_main.asp?newsId=4915
>
> Armstong's talking smack but with a difference this year. There's a new odor in the room when he
> speaks. It's the odor or fear; fear of losing; fear of aging. His season debut next week will be
> interesting.

I think Armstrong is simply facing reality. This will probably prove to be a very hard year for
Armstrong. Lance will have to be more disciplined than ever this year. Quite frankly I am really
suprised that Lance decided to spend more time in the US. If I were Lance I would have worked out a
deal to let the kids stay in europe if that were possible.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 05:03:48 GMT, Darrell Criswell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Poor Lance, the worst he can do is make mega millions in the next two years. Sure he will make an
>attempt to win, but whatever happens he will be crying all the way to the bank!

I don't think it's about the money for him anymore- I'm sure he's got plenty. Should be an
interesting TdF...

"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Chester Kuhn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > http://www.procycling.com/news_main.asp?newsId=4915
>
> Armstong's talking smack but with a difference this year. There's a new odor in the room when he
> speaks. It's the odor or fear; fear of losing; fear of aging. His season debut next week will be
> interesting.

Because winning 5 in a row doesn't mean anything? I think he doesn't even have to talk smack,
because he can just hold up his hand and say 5 even if he does lose this year. Oh well. Oh, and I
know, he just concentrates on the Tour which is why he wins... He doesn't race all year, and so on
and so forth. You don't see Jan peaking until the Tour. You don't see Simoni peaking until the Giro.
Why should it be any different for Armstrong?

Tom

I guess Armstrong can only be a true champion if he wins all three grand tours and every WC race in the same year.

"Tom Arsenault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Chester Kuhn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > http://www.procycling.com/news_main.asp?newsId=4915
> >
> > Armstong's talking smack but with a difference this year. There's a new odor in the room when he
> > speaks. It's the odor or fear; fear of losing; fear of aging. His season debut next week will be
> > interesting.
>
> Because winning 5 in a row doesn't mean anything?

No. Because winning number five was so difficult against a not full form Ullrich riding with a
weakened team and Beloki crashed out. If he thought the attacks from Tyler, Vino and the others were
difficult in '03, he has to know it will be worse in '04 now that his blood is in the water.

< Ithink he doesn't
> even have to talk smack, because he can just hold up his hand and say 5 even if he does lose
> this year.

He doesn't have to, but he is. Just another reason why he's so beloved by so many. :)

< Oh well. Oh, and I know, he just
> concentrates on the Tour which is why he wins... He doesn't race all year, and so on and so forth.
> You don't see Jan peaking until the Tour. You don't see Simoni peaking until the Giro. Why should
> it be any different for Armstrong?

I agree. That is the nature of the sport today. But this has nothing to do with fear and
talking smack.

"leif_ericson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I guess Armstrong can only be a true champion if he wins all three grand tours and every WC race
> in the same year.

Of all the five time Tour winners he has the weakest record of wins. Even Indurain, who also
focused on the Tour, did the Giro/Tour double. But he's made lots of money. Just ask Kristin and
her attorney.

> "leif_ericson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I guess Armstrong can only be a true champion if he wins all three grand tours and every WC race
> > in the same year.
>
> Of all the five time Tour winners he has the weakest record of wins. Even Indurain, who also
> focused on the Tour, did the Giro/Tour double. But
he's
> made lots of money. Just ask Kristin and her attorney.

Dumbass -

Yep - even after splitting it w/ her, he's probably made more than the rest of the 5 time
winners combined.