Lance or Jan Ullrich WHO IS BETTER?



Status
Not open for further replies.

rossoreduk

New Member
Oct 10, 2003
204
0
0
Hey people, simple question..............just who is the better cyclist?

Lance Armstrong or Jan Ullrich?

Justification aswell please?
 

Memphmann

New Member
Jul 6, 2003
766
0
0
48
Originally posted by rossoreduk
Hey people, simple question..............just who is the better cyclist?

Lance Armstrong or Jan Ullrich?

Justification aswell please?

I would have to go with JU for many reasons. The dude has finished 2nd a # of times on teams lacking the fire power of LA's. His riding sytle and physical make-up is similar to mine. Plus he is non-American......

Memph
 

Vo2

Member
Aug 11, 2001
2,166
10
0
54
Originally posted by Memphmann
His riding sytle and physical make-up is similar to mine. Plus he is non-American......

Memph

:confused:

Don't you mean: MY riding style and physical make-up is similar to HIS?
 

cajuntex

New Member
Nov 3, 2003
1
0
0
I never tire of discussing this....Ulle is the more talented physically, but Lance will continue to kick his ass b/c (as Phil Liggett so diplomatically said), "[Jan] doesn't have the tactical sense of [Lance]."

Every time Ullrich races, I find myself wondering, "Now WHAT exactly is the strategy here? Tow everyone to the line cause they know you'll do it?" He's had a good 7 years now to figure out what race tactics will work for him, but he continues to rack up 2nd places (not just in TdF) like they're goin outta style. He's a mystery.

I'll be pulling for Der Kaiser (again) this year, but barring any sickness/injury/crashes, my money's on Lance.
 

Memphmann

New Member
Jul 6, 2003
766
0
0
48
Originally posted by Vo2
:confused:

Don't you mean: MY riding style and physical make-up is similar to HIS?

No, I had it right.

In my prime, 6'2, 164lbs and 6% bodyfat. Had a weak sprint, but could spin most off my wheel. Then the mountains :)

Memph
 

johnnyWalker

New Member
Oct 8, 2003
13
0
0
Originally posted by Memphmann
No, I had it right.

In my prime, 6'2, 164lbs and 6% bodyfat. Had a weak sprint, but could spin most off my wheel. Then the mountains :)

Memph
Ummm... Didn't they just have a race with those two battling it out?
I think it was in france, does any one know how it turned out?
 

Memphmann

New Member
Jul 6, 2003
766
0
0
48
Originally posted by johnnyWalker
Ummm... Didn't they just have a race with those two battling it out?
I think it was in france, does any one know how it turned out?

Could you plz tell me where JU lost most of his time? Which stage?

Memph
 

Madone

New Member
Aug 17, 2003
64
0
0
61
Memph,

you can say it as often as you like where you like, but the truth is the record books will show for ever more JU was LA shadow, so far it's 5 - 1 to LA, and like the man himself says it's the Tours he beats JU in that are the important ones, coz thes guy's are 1&" in the sport right now, I have nothing but repsect for then both, and hope very year will be JU second TdF win, but every year for the past 5 I have not had to hope LA will win, I just had to sit back and admire the way in which he does it, he is a talented tactician, and has the ability to get into the minds of those chasing him, this year so him faulter, but still able to out fox the rest,
and to answer the above ? he lost about about the same amount in the TT as he did in one hill climb, you must remember the one, you know LA on the ground, the on the top tube, then the did he' didn't he wiat, not that it matters now, just check the record books man 5-1 and counting
 

Memphmann

New Member
Jul 6, 2003
766
0
0
48
Originally posted by Madone
Memph,

you can say it as often as you like where you like, but the truth is the record books will show for ever more JU was LA shadow, so far it's 5 - 1 to LA, and like the man himself says it's the Tours he beats JU in that are the important ones, coz thes guy's are 1&" in the sport right now, I have nothing but repsect for then both, and hope very year will be JU second TdF win, but every year for the past 5 I have not had to hope LA will win, I just had to sit back and admire the way in which he does it, he is a talented tactician, and has the ability to get into the minds of those chasing him, this year so him faulter, but still able to out fox the rest,
and to answer the above ? he lost about about the same amount in the TT as he did in one hill climb, you must remember the one, you know LA on the ground, the on the top tube, then the did he' didn't he wiat, not that it matters now, just check the record books man 5-1 and counting

Damn your reply was differcult to read. Anyways, I never once ever stated that LA was not a talented rider or one of the best TdF riders. Just not a great over-all rider. Doesn't have the stats of some past greats, to call him greatest ever in TdF or in cycling itself. Also feel that there is to much stacked against him to win again. If I am wrong, then I am wrong. No big deal, like I shall lose sleep over who wins the TdF......

Memph
 

zaskar

New Member
Aug 3, 2003
869
0
0
Memph [/QUOTE]


No big deal, like I shall lose sleep over who wins the TdF......


lol, you should lose sleep over that important issue bro,
i know i am:D

you must be loseing sleep over the peeps who disagree with you
then lol.
 

Memphmann

New Member
Jul 6, 2003
766
0
0
48
Originally posted by zaskar
Memph





lol, you should lose sleep over that important issue bro,
i know i am:D

you must be loseing sleep over the peeps who disagree with you
then lol. [/QUOTE]

The only thing bike related that I might lose sleep over is which bike I am going to purchase....

Memph
 

jhuskey

Moderator
Oct 6, 2003
10,606
676
113
Well lets see. Ullrich is taller but Lance seems to have better girlfriends, at least the ones Ive have heard of, and several good books.Ullrich is a great rider but Armstrong rides great. Who has the most money??????I can't wait till next July.
 

Madone

New Member
Aug 17, 2003
64
0
0
61
Memph,
one thing you where right about is my last post, the typo's where really bad man, must get a new k,board, this one cant spell a damm thing, will try harder next time,
and you set yourself up for comments, but take the replys well, enjoy your ride, so what bike possiblities are keeping you up on a nite time
 

Memphmann

New Member
Jul 6, 2003
766
0
0
48
Originally posted by Madone
Memph,
one thing you where right about is my last post, the typo's where really bad man, must get a new k,board, this one cant spell a damm thing, will try harder next time,
and you set yourself up for comments, but take the replys well, enjoy your ride, so what bike possiblities are keeping you up on a nite time

Hey man, try typing with a cordless keyboard and large dog pacing in front.

Have a few options on bikes. The first is a new 2003 TCR1 with Ultegra. Second, used (2500km by a 65 year old man), 2003 TCR1 with DA. Third is a custom from a dude in my area. Have time to decide....

Memph
 

Shnerpals

New Member
Aug 24, 2003
37
0
0
36
Lance Armstrong and Jan Ullrich are both very skilled riders...but when it comes to overall excellance its got to be Lance. Why else would he be able to beat Jan Ullrich over and over again in the Tour. Once that Jan beats Lance then I will say that he is better...lets hope that doesnt happen...ever.
 

Kathrin

New Member
Oct 30, 2003
49
0
0
Originally posted by Shnerpals
Lance Armstrong and Jan Ullrich are both very skilled riders...but when it comes to overall excellance its got to be Lance. Why else would he be able to beat Jan Ullrich over and over again in the Tour. Once that Jan beats Lance then I will say that he is better...lets hope that doesnt happen...ever.

Ullrich will only be able to beat Lance when Lance, due to age, will no longer be able to get to the top of his abilities (which I sincerely hope is still some time away). Ullrich will never be able to answer Lance's attacks in the mountains, and he neither has Lance's race intelligence nor tactical abilities. Ullrich's "new" team is probably the best he has had so far, but I wonder whether having all the gc riders on the rooster is such a good idea. Working with more specialized teammates as Lance does, to me, seems like the better way.
 

Memphmann

New Member
Jul 6, 2003
766
0
0
48
Originally posted by Kathrin
Originally posted by Shnerpals
Lance Armstrong and Jan Ullrich are both very skilled riders...but when it comes to overall excellance its got to be Lance. Why else would he be able to beat Jan Ullrich over and over again in the Tour. Once that Jan beats Lance then I will say that he is better...lets hope that doesnt happen...ever.

Ullrich will only be able to beat Lance when Lance, due to age, will no longer be able to get to the top of his abilities (which I sincerely hope is still some time away). Ullrich will never be able to answer Lance's attacks in the mountains, and he neither has Lance's race intelligence nor tactical abilities. Ullrich's "new" team is probably the best he has had so far, but I wonder whether having all the gc riders on the rooster is such a good idea. Working with more specialized teammates as Lance does, to me, seems like the better way.

Lance does this to make himself look better. Look at the other US rider that placed well this year. He use to race ith LA. Did he leave LA's team or get pushed out because LA felt threatened? What happens if LA or JU don't win the TdF? So whole debate is on personal choice.....

Memph
 

Shnerpals

New Member
Aug 24, 2003
37
0
0
36
Originally posted by Memphmann
Lance does this to make himself look better. Look at the other US rider that placed well this year. He use to race ith LA. Did he leave LA's team or get pushed out because LA felt threatened? What happens if LA or JU don't win the TdF? So whole debate is on personal choice.....

Memph

If Jan or Lance dont win the Tour, than Hamilton will be the one to beat them....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads