Lance Question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Reading an article in the Daily Mail about Lance Armstrong yesterday, I noticed in his photo that he
    was wearing earpieces. I can't imagine that he was listening to his Walkman, so what goes on? Is
    this so he can listen to team orders like F1 drivers do?

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room new build]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Most probably yes. Unfortunately scanners are *banned* in France so it
    would
    > not be advisable taking one to LeTour :)
    >
    > Its possible also the comms are digital and/or encrypted these days as is common in sports,
    > otherwise competitors would listen in as well.

    Yes nearly everything on scanners is digital these days. Not like in the early 90s when one could
    listen to hundreds of mobile phone calls. Not that I did anything of the sort of course, but in
    theory you would have been able to find where all the knocking shops were by listening to the calls
    between pro and punter ;-)

  3. John B

    John B Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:

    > Reading an article in the Daily Mail about Lance Armstrong yesterday, I noticed in his photo that
    > he was wearing earpieces. I can't imagine that he was listening to his Walkman, so what goes on?
    > Is this so he can listen to team orders like F1 drivers do?

    Yes. Many professional teams use radios between the manager/directeur sportif in the following car
    and the riders. There is an excellent example of confusion when radios _don't_ work in 'Road to
    Paris', the account of Armstrong's pre Tour training.

    Radios are becoming fairly widespread. I even saw an (over)enthusiastic parent sending orders to
    their 12 year old in a kids circuit race. He was muttering into his raincoat's inside pocket "the
    one in blue's catching you". It was quite comical.

    John Buckley

  4. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > Reading an article in the Daily Mail about Lance Armstrong yesterday, I noticed in his photo that
    > he was wearing earpieces. I can't imagine that
    he
    > was listening to his Walkman, so what goes on? Is this so he can listen to team orders like F1
    > drivers do?

    Yes - and probably give a few!!

  5. Lance and the rest of the US postals team all use a 2way radio system. This is used to communicate
    with Johan Bruyneel back in the team car. You will often see him on the mountain stages speaking
    into the mic barely breaking a sweet while the other riders are loosing time by the second on him.

    It's used to check to race status, i.e, distance left or time difference on a break away
    rider/group.

    Also the domestiques are called upon to pick up drinks and food for the other riders from
    the team car.

    Lance also uses the 2way radio during time trials to check on his cadence and time splits.

    It's all fully legal as the rest of the peleton also use radio systems.

    David

    > Reading an article in the Daily Mail about Lance Armstrong yesterday, I noticed in his photo that
    > he was wearing earpieces. I can't imagine that
    he
    > was listening to his Walkman, so what goes on? Is this so he can listen to team orders like F1
    > drivers do?
    >
    > --
    > Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  6. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    John B wrote:
    > Many professional teams use radios between the manager/directeur sportif in the following car and
    > the riders. There is an excellent example of confusion when radios _don't_ work in 'Road to
    > Paris', the account of Armstrong's pre Tour training.
    >
    > Radios are becoming fairly widespread. I even saw an (over)enthusiastic parent sending orders to
    > their 12 year old in a kids circuit race. He was muttering into his raincoat's inside pocket "the
    > one in blue's catching you". It was quite comical.
    >
    > John Buckley

    Does anyone else think this is destroying an essential part of road racing?

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  7. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "David Warwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Lance and the rest of the US postals team all use a 2way radio system.
    This
    > is used to communicate with Johan Bruyneel back in the team car. You will often see him on the
    > mountain stages speaking into the mic barely breaking
    > sweet while the other riders are loosing time by the second on him.
    >
    > It's used to check to race status, i.e, distance left or time difference
    on
    > a break away rider/group.
    >
    > Also the domestiques are called upon to pick up drinks and food for the other riders from the
    > team car.
    >
    > Lance also uses the 2way radio during time trials to check on his cadence and time splits.
    >
    > It's all fully legal as the rest of the peleton also use radio systems.
    >
    > David

    It's very unimaginative though !

    Graham

    > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:v28p7eihs[email protected]...
    > > Reading an article in the Daily Mail about Lance Armstrong yesterday, I noticed in his photo
    > > that he was wearing earpieces. I can't imagine that
    > he
    > > was listening to his Walkman, so what goes on? Is this so he can listen
    > > team orders like F1 drivers do?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  8. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    > "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room new build]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Most probably yes. Unfortunately scanners are *banned* in France so it
    > would
    > > not be advisable taking one to LeTour :)
    > >
    > > Its possible also the comms are digital and/or encrypted these days as
    is
    > > common in sports, otherwise competitors would listen in as well.
    >
    > Yes nearly everything on scanners is digital these days. Not like in the
    > early 90s when one could listen to hundreds of mobile phone calls. Not
    that
    > I did anything of the sort of course, but in theory you would have been
    able
    > to find where all the knocking shops were by listening to the calls
    between
    > pro and punter ;-)
    > --

    Just go to www.punternet.com if you want info on that sort of stuff ... ;)

  9. In news:[email protected], AndyMorris <[email protected]> typed:
    > John B wrote:

    >> Radios are becoming fairly widespread. I even saw an (over)enthusiastic parent sending orders to
    >> their 12 year old in a kids circuit race. He was muttering into his raincoat's inside pocket "the
    >> one in blue's catching you". It was quite comical.
    >>
    >> John Buckley
    >
    > Does anyone else think this is destroying an essential part of road racing?

    I would have thought (although perhaps not at junior level!) that radio comms between cyclists in
    races would have been deployed since the late
    70s/early 80s (before that the sets would have been too bulky!)

    Alex

  10. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    > Yes nearly everything on scanners is digital these days. Not like in the
    > early 90s when one could listen to hundreds of mobile phone calls. Not
    that
    > I did anything of the sort of course, but in theory you would have been
    able
    > to find where all the knocking shops were by listening to the calls
    between
    > pro and punter ;-)

    Several of the cycber cafes / telephone from here places I used in India (particularly in larger
    cities) had suspicious back rooms with small groups of women either wired up with telephone headsets
    or seriously pecking at keyboards. I suppose they could have been legitimate 'call centres' for Rip
    Off Insurance or similar -- but I have my suspicions that they were engaged in a less savoury aspect
    of the telecommunications revolution.

  11. On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:49:14 +0000 (UTC), "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"David Warwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Lance and the rest of the US postals team all use a 2way radio system.
    >This
    >> is used to communicate with Johan Bruyneel back in the team car. You will often see him on the
    >> mountain stages speaking into the mic barely breaking
    >> sweet while the other riders are loosing time by the second on him.
    >>
    >> It's used to check to race status, i.e, distance left or time difference
    >on
    >> a break away rider/group.
    >>
    >> Also the domestiques are called upon to pick up drinks and food for the other riders from the
    >> team car.
    >>
    >> Lance also uses the 2way radio during time trials to check on his cadence and time splits.
    >>
    >> It's all fully legal as the rest of the peleton also use radio systems.
    >>
    >> David
    >
    > It's very unimaginative though !
    >
    > Graham

    In what way? It's simply using technology to enhance what already happened. The team cars receive
    race radio, the DS in the car usually has a telephone link to someone watching the race on TV, while
    motor bike marshals carry info on blackboards on the time gaps.

    Having direct radio contact means the team cars don't have to come through the peleton as often and
    eases the burden on the domestiques. Cheers! Stephen