Lance runs the Marathon, clocks a 4:51 mile

bobke

Oct 3, 2004
Time for predictions gents, will he break three hours?
Will he beat Jalabert 2:55 NYMarathon time?

The last time he ran a timed mile, he says, was a couple of years ago, when he and former fiancee Sheryl Crow were visiting her hometown in Missouri. They went to the high school track, and while Crow ran stairs, he ran a mile in a cold rain. He clocked it at 5:13.

"But I was a professional athlete then," he says. "I didn't drink margaritas every night, either."

On Thursday, it didn't take much to persuade him to try a timed mile again, this time on the quarter-mile Austin High oval track.

"Let's take bets — how fast can I do a mile?" he asks, shucking off a sweaty black T-shirt. When five minutes is suggested, he takes the challenge.

At first, it doesn't look like he's going that fast. His gait is a little stiff, his chest forward. To hit five minutes, he can't take more than 75 seconds per lap. He glances at his watch as he makes the first of four laps. "Seventy-three seconds!" he shouts as he rounds the bend. He notches 72 seconds on the second lap, and 73 on the last two, according to his watch.

His total time: 4:51.

Not bad for an old man.

bobke said:

The last time he ran a timed mile, he says, was a couple of years ago, when he and former fiancee Sheryl Crow were visiting her hometown in Missouri. They went to the high school track, and while Crow ran stairs, he ran a mile in a cold rain. He clocked it at 5:13.

"But I was a professional athlete then," he says. "I didn't drink margaritas every night, either."

On Thursday, it didn't take much to persuade him to try a timed mile again, this time on the quarter-mile Austin High oval track.

"Let's take bets — how fast can I do a mile?" he asks, shucking off a sweaty black T-shirt. When five minutes is suggested, he takes the challenge.

At first, it doesn't look like he's going that fast. His gait is a little stiff, his chest forward. To hit five minutes, he can't take more than 75 seconds per lap. He glances at his watch as he makes the first of four laps. "Seventy-three seconds!" he shouts as he rounds the bend. He notches 72 seconds on the second lap, and 73 on the last two, according to his watch.

Shall we talk about the miraculous concoction of PED's that he must be using to acheive this? I mean... we all know he's nothing more than a mediocre endurance athlete who responds so unusually well to blood enhancing drugs that he's able to squash world-class athletes that are using the same stuff.

KIDDING!!!

Man... that's fast. Still a good deal below the times of college track athletes but still quite good. Makes my 6:35 PR look pretty lame :p.

bobke said:
I think he can break 3 hr's easy. Jalabert probably wanted to break 3:00 and ran a great time of 2:55. Lance's competitive spirit is probably focused on beating Jalabert's time. I think he will run between 2:55 and 2:45.

He is nowhere near Pre as a runner but he has the fire and determination of a Steve Prefontaine.

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if he tries to stay on the heels of Ramaala. Let's just hope he doesn't get confused and call him George " Let's go George! Let's go!" or worse... ask him to go back and get water. :D

lw

lwedge said:
Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if he tries to stay on the heels of Ramaala. Let's just hope he doesn't get confused and call him George " Let's go George! Let's go!" or worse... ask him to go back and get water. :D

lw

Or he could pull the ultimate insult, and gift Ramaala the win at the line.

bobke said:

Where did you get this from?

lwedge said:
This months Runners World Magazine has some information on this. I haven't had a chance to read my copy yet so I can't critique. Here's the web article.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-297--10400-0,00.html

lw
Thanks for the article... more importantly how many of you guys want to bend Kik over and take her from behind ? http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-297--10446-0,00.html

- she's a bit wired thou... bit of stalker.. no wonder Lance abandon her... typical Texan, big hair, big teeth and full of "warmth"......... g-zus Americans talk krap...

I think he's a big chance to break 3 hours... he may say his not fit in terms of a professional athlete but there are plenty of people out there who hold down 40 hour weeks in a job and still train and break three... I reckon he can break 2.30.... Armstrong is one of those guys who can get into a zone pick a pace and just hold it for 2 plus hours.... one problem thou and I'm sure he'll be starting in one of the front penns is runners traffic... when I ran London there is people everyone and its hard to get into a rhythm so hopefully Lance can get on his own and treat it like a time trail... or at least hold pace with Oprah and Puff Daddy... and to think if I was running New York I could start a thread called: “Armstrong races WBT in grudge match race”…….

bobke said:

whiteboytrash said:
Thanks for the article... more importantly how many of you guys want to bend Kristin Armstrong over and take her from behind ? http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-297--10446-0,00.html
I dont know man, she's not looking so hot in that pic. She needs a little more meat on her bones like this:
bb24.jpg

thebluetrain said:
I dont know man, she's not looking so hot in that pic. She needs a little more meat on her bones like this:
She does look a bit sickly... even more gaunt than Lance at his heightened "I want to weigh my food to look like a concentration camp prisoner" of 2004 look... come on, Texas is full of red meat and good inexpensive restaurants (try O’Sullivan’s)... get on the protein gear you two.... I'd be a bit worried if my ex-wife looked like that and decided to become and athlete.... scary chic... attached is a recent picture of Kik paying the gas bill at her local post office.... sorry to say but Richie V and Jan always pulled the better chics...

whiteboytrash said:
Thanks for the article... more importantly how many of you guys want to bend Kik over and take her from behind ? http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-297--10446-0,00.html

- she's a bit wired thou... bit of stalker.. no wonder Lance abandon her... typical Texan, big hair, big teeth and full of "warmth"......... g-zus Americans talk krap...
:D Interesting thoughts there WBT.

I am not over the top attracted to LA's taste in women nor his taste in Marathon's. I'd rather run Boston, London, BigSur, CIM, Tahoe...

lw

jhuskey said:
So Lance is 5 feet 11 or so now.
He must of meant one of those new jumbo inches.

Looks more like a couple plus inches (regular inches).

lw