LANCE sharp on the couch

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bart, Mar 4, 2003.

  1. Bart

    Bart Guest

    While QSD was doing their Molenberg coup Saturday, Lance called Demol on his cell phone to say Van
    Heeswijk was doing pulls when he shouldnt.

    Demol, with his little car monitor and not behind the break yet, hadnt realised Van Heeswijk was
    already in the first group then.

    Tags:

  2. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > While QSD was doing their Molenberg coup Saturday, Lance called Demol on his cell phone to say Van
    > Heeswijk was doing pulls when he shouldnt.
    >
    > Demol, with his little car monitor and not behind the break yet, hadnt realised Van Heeswijk was
    > already in the first group then.

    Where did you hear this?

    Did your source say why the *%?&! every other team was so passive?

  3. Bart

    Bart Guest

    Robert Chung wrote:

    > Where did you hear this?

    I read it somewhere.

    > Did your source say why the *%?&! every other team was so passive?

    was it passivity? I dont think so.

    Lotto was consistent with how they appeared in other races. Telekom suffered most from crashes.
    Rabobank had an extremely unexperienced team (kudos to Freire for suffering to the finish twice,
    investing for years to come).

    Who else then? Alessio and Saeco, CA maybe. Dont forget that on the Muur 100 riders ware walking.
    Then many already rule it's not gonna be their day, more important races to come etc.

    Also the importance of course knowledge is extremely high in these races. There are a dozen fatal
    opportunities to be too far at the back. Its not just about knowing the hills who return in some
    other races anyway.

    While Museeuw, Bettini and a topfit VDB might actually be the 3 best single-day racers, I dont share
    the sentiment they will be too dominating in the World Cup or at least the races over here. The best
    team yes, anything less would be weak.

  4. Bart

    Bart Guest

    dunno if this was somehow clear but :

    a real dominace in strength was hugely enhanced by the specifics of this race.

  5. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote
    > was it passivity? I dont think so.
    >
    > Lotto was consistent with how they appeared in other races.

    I would have thought PVP was familiar with the course. It kinda surprised me that he didn't even try
    to bridge up with van Heeswijk at the Molenberg. Lotto came to the front with maybe 40km to go and a
    2 minute gap, but that wasn't going to cut it. Too little too late.

  6. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I would have thought PVP was familiar with the course. It kinda surprised
    me
    > that he didn't even try to bridge up with van Heeswijk at the Molenberg. Lotto came to the front
    > with maybe 40km to go and a 2 minute gap, but that wasn't going to cut it. Too little too late.

    He tried, but he said he didn't have the legs. No excuses. He also said that when he won the Ronde
    in '99 he did nothing in Het Volk.

    Here's a pic of VH bridging (in the background). Not bad, considering Johan was giving it a bit.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/?id=2003/mar03/hetvolk/FS009

    cheers, Jeff

  7. "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > I would have thought PVP was familiar with the course. It kinda
    surprised
    > me
    > > that he didn't even try to bridge up with van Heeswijk at the Molenberg. Lotto came to the front
    > > with maybe 40km to go and a 2 minute gap, but
    that
    > > wasn't going to cut it. Too little too late.
    > >
    > He tried, but he said he didn't have the legs. No excuses. He also said
    that
    > when he won the Ronde in '99 he did nothing in Het Volk.
    >
    > Here's a pic of VH bridging (in the background). Not bad, considering
    Johan
    > was giving it a bit. http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/?id=2003/mar03/hetvolk/FS009

    In that photo Bettini looks like a kid riding 650C wheels.

  8. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

  9. "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > While QSD was doing their Molenberg coup Saturday, Lance called Demol on his cell phone to say Van
    > Heeswijk was doing pulls when he shouldnt.

    Calling on experience from the Amstel Gold race, I see...

    > Demol, with his little car monitor and not behind the break yet, hadnt realised Van Heeswijk was
    > already in the first group then.

    Too bad Lance wasn't so aware during the 2000 Olympic road race.

  10. "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Daniel Connelly" <[email protected]> wrote
    > >
    > > Jeff Jones wrote:
    > > > Here's a pic of VH bridging (in the background). Not bad, considering
    > Johan
    > > > was giving it a bit. http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/?id=2003/mar03/hetvolk/FS009
    > >

    > > Well, GW missed this one, but he did get :
    > > http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/images/03hetvolk/$file/12.jpg
    > >

    > I like the way he's pointing out the road hazard (i.e., Watson) to the
    guys
    > behind.

    You mean signing for MVH to get his arse to the front...

    SB

  11. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

  12. "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > While QSD was doing their Molenberg coup Saturday, Lance called Demol on his cell phone to say
    > > Van Heeswijk was doing pulls when he shouldnt.
    >
    > Calling on experience from the Amstel Gold race, I see...
    >

    > > Demol, with his little car monitor and not behind the break yet, hadnt realised Van Heeswijk was
    > > already in the first group then.
    >
    > Too bad Lance wasn't so aware during the 2000 Olympic road race.

    Riding at the back and not knowing the break is off, keeps you from doing too many pulls.