Lance slays all in DL TT - 1:07 back to Millar

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kiem Madvanen, Jun 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armstrong wins Dauphine Libere time trial

    SAINT-HEAND, France, June 11 (Reuters) - Lance Armstrong won Wednesday's third stage of the Dauphine
    Libere cycling race, a
    33.4-kilometre individual time trial from Saint-Paul-en-Jarez to Saint-Heand.

    The American clocked a winning time of 49 minutes and 32 seconds and seized the lead of the
    eight-day stage race.

    Briton David Millar was second, one minute and seven seconds behind. Overnight leader Iban Mayo of
    Spain was third.
     
    Tags:


  2. Billx

    Billx Guest

    That works out to 25.1 mph. What was the elevation gain on this time trial?

    "Kiem Madvanen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Armstrong wins Dauphine Libere time trial
    >
    > SAINT-HEAND, France, June 11 (Reuters) - Lance Armstrong won Wednesday's third stage of the
    > Dauphine Libere cycling race, a
    > 33.4-kilometre individual time trial from Saint-Paul-en-Jarez to Saint-Heand.
    >
    > The American clocked a winning time of 49 minutes and 32 seconds and seized the lead of the
    > eight-day stage race.
    >
    > Briton David Millar was second, one minute and seven seconds behind. Overnight leader Iban Mayo of
    > Spain was third.
     
  3. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

  4. Billx

    Billx Guest

  5. Kiem Madvanen <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Armstrong wins Dauphine Libere time trial
    >
    > SAINT-HEAND, France, June 11 (Reuters) - Lance Armstrong won Wednesday's third stage of the
    > Dauphine Libere cycling race, a
    > 33.4-kilometre individual time trial from Saint-Paul-en-Jarez to Saint-Heand.
    >
    > The American clocked a winning time of 49 minutes and 32 seconds and seized the lead of the
    > eight-day stage race.
    >
    > Briton David Millar was second, one minute and seven seconds behind. Overnight leader Iban Mayo of
    > Spain was third.

    It's basically over. Armstrong will win the tour. The only man who _could_ stop him is Simoni. Noone
    can gain any real time in the ITTs against Lance. You have to beat him in the mountains. Simoni
    could do that, but it's doubtful, and _if so_, he'd only gain seconds anyway (half a minute, 40 secs
    etc once or twice), not enough to regain what he loses in the ITTs.

    It's over.

    --
    «Wänn i de Schwitz s Volk redet, händ d Politikär ruhig sii.»
     
  6. Mapei81

    Mapei81 Guest

    >It's basically over. Armstrong will win the tour.

    I'm afraid you're right. Yawn.
     
  7. David Ryan

    David Ryan Guest

    Mapei81 wrote:
    >
    > >It's basically over. Armstrong will win the tour.
    >
    > I'm afraid you're right. Yawn.

    The anti-Lance crowd is sure giving up early. Do the rest of the peloton, classics winners, UCI
    point leaders and everyone's cycling heroes, other than Lance, suddenly become pygmies in July?
     
  8. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

  9. G

    G Guest

    David Ryan <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Mapei81 wrote:
    > >
    > > >It's basically over. Armstrong will win the tour.
    > >
    > > I'm afraid you're right. Yawn.
    >
    > The anti-Lance crowd is sure giving up early. Do the rest of the peloton, classics winners, UCI
    > point leaders and everyone's cycling heroes, other than Lance, suddenly become pygmies in July?

    huh? Soooo... why can't Lance win any classics?
     
  10. Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Mapei81 <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >>It's basically over. Armstrong will win the tour.
    >
    > > I'm afraid you're right. Yawn.
    >
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/archives/jun96/lib1.html
    >
    > Indurain crushed the competition. Completely.
    >
    > Riis was 23 minutes back when he abandoned.

    Good point.

    And after all, Armstrong lost 55 seconds to Mancebo on a 1st cat climb, Col de la Ramaz, today (but
    got it back on the descent - and ended second after Mayo).
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/jun03/DauphineLibere03/?id=results/ stage4

    BTW, nice to see Virenque moving up there almost among the big boys (5th today).

    --
    «Wänn i de Schwitz s Volk redet, händ d Politikär ruhig sii.»
     
  11. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Malte Lewan Neelsen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > And after all, Armstrong lost 55 seconds to Mancebo on a 1st cat climb, Col de la Ramaz, today
    > (but got it back on the descent - and ended second after Mayo).
    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/jun03/DauphineLibere03/?id=results/ stage4
    >
    Apologies for this - early info was incorrect. Mayo and Armstrong were together at the top, a little
    way behind Mancebo. Photographers don't lie
    :)

    Cheers, Jeff
     
  12. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Malte Lewan Neelsen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > And after all, Armstrong lost 55 seconds to Mancebo on a 1st cat climb, Col de la Ramaz, today
    > > (but got it back on the descent - and ended second after Mayo).
    > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/jun03/DauphineLibere03/?id=results/ stage4
    > >
    > Apologies for this - early info was incorrect. Mayo and Armstrong were together at the top, a
    > little way behind Mancebo. Photographers don't lie
    > :)
    >
    > Cheers, Jeff

    Phew. I read the live coverage from the Dauphine website (it sucks compared to you guys, as I'm sure
    you know) and I couldn't figure out how Armstrong made up 55 seconds on Mancebo and 35 seconds on
    Mayo on the descent. I was thinking that maybe Armstrong had been taking descending lessons from
    Savoldelli.
     
  13. "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Malte Lewan Neelsen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > And after all, Armstrong lost 55 seconds to Mancebo on a 1st cat climb, Col de la Ramaz, today
    > > (but got it back on the descent - and ended second after Mayo).
    > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/jun03/DauphineLibere03/?id=results/ stage4
    > >
    > Apologies for this - early info was incorrect. Mayo and Armstrong were together at the top, a
    > little way behind Mancebo. Photographers don't lie
    > :)

    You mean 'photographs' don't lie?

    I've seen photographers lie. Portrait photographers at the beach, telling the Fattie Family that
    they look great.
     
  14. Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/archives/jun96/lib1.html

    > Indurain crushed the competition. Completely. Riis was 23 minutes back when he abandoned.

    Your "Ages of Tour Winners" page shows something interesting. LANCE is 31 this year. In the postwar
    era, only Bartali, Coppi, Zoetemelk, and Riis have managed to win the Tour at 32+. Obviously, LANCE
    is a fanatic for training, and it can be done, but the end will come someday.

    Ben likes LANCE but also likes the idea that it is physiologically impossible to win six Tours.
     
  15. [email protected] (G) wrote in message news:<1fwgqmq.s41xpok2u41sN%[email protected]>...
    > David Ryan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Mapei81 wrote:
    > > >
    > > > >It's basically over. Armstrong will win the tour.
    > > >
    > > > I'm afraid you're right. Yawn.
    > >
    > > The anti-Lance crowd is sure giving up early. Do the rest of the peloton, classics winners, UCI
    > > point leaders and everyone's cycling heroes, other than Lance, suddenly become pygmies in July?
    >
    > huh? Soooo... why can't Lance win any classics?

    Lance can't win any classics because that's not what he trains for. He trains to win the Tour de
    France. Seems to be working for him so far.
     
  16. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/archives/jun96/lib1.html

    >> Indurain crushed the competition. Completely. Riis was 23 minutes back when he abandoned.

    > Your "Ages of Tour Winners" page shows something interesting. LANCE is 31 this year. In the
    > postwar era, only Bartali, Coppi, Zoetemelk, and Riis have managed to win the Tour at 32+.
    > Obviously, LANCE is a fanatic for training, and it can be done, but the end will come someday.

    Yep. I think next year is the year for Ullrich to knock him off if it is ever going to happen. LANCE
    will be bumping up against the upper end of the range, Jan is two years younger.

    I also think people should not underestimate the
    psychological stress of being a multi-year Tour favorite. Five (or six) years is a long time to
    center your work life around something that can get flushed with one bad day or one sick day. The
    challenges get much steeper from here.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]
     
  17. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/archives/jun96/lib1.html
    >
    > > Indurain crushed the competition. Completely. Riis was 23 minutes back when he abandoned.
    >
    > Your "Ages of Tour Winners" page shows something interesting. LANCE is 31 this year. In the
    > postwar era, only Bartali, Coppi, Zoetemelk, and Riis have managed to win the Tour at 32+.
    > Obviously, LANCE is a fanatic for training, and it can be done, but the end will come someday.
    >
    > Ben likes LANCE but also likes the idea that it is physiologically impossible to win six Tours.

    Never impossible, Jan Ullrich has a chance to beat Lance this year but Lance is looking very
    good again.

    Indurain is the only rider to win 5 TdF's consecutively.

    Dashii
     
  18. G

    G Guest

    Tom Arsenault <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] (G) wrote in message news:<1fwgqmq.s41xpok2u41sN%[email protected]>... > David Ryan
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Mapei81 wrote:
    > > > >
    > > > > >It's basically over. Armstrong will win the tour.
    > > > >
    > > > > I'm afraid you're right. Yawn.
    > > >
    > > > The anti-Lance crowd is sure giving up early. Do the rest of the peloton, classics winners,
    > > > UCI point leaders and everyone's cycling heroes, other than Lance, suddenly become pygmies in
    > > > July?
    > >
    > > huh? Soooo... why can't Lance win any classics?
    >
    > Lance can't win any classics because that's not what he trains for. He trains to win the Tour de
    > France. Seems to be working for him so far.

    Thanks, but I wanted to see what the Lance cheerleader had to say.

    GK
     
  19. Todd Kuzma

    Todd Kuzma Guest

    G wrote:
    >
    >>>huh? Soooo... why can't Lance win any classics?
    >>
    >>Lance can't win any classics because that's not what he trains for. He trains to win the Tour de
    >>France. Seems to be working for him so far.
    >

    How about this? First places:

    1992 First Union Grad Prix Thrift Drug Classic Stage, Tour of Galicia

    1993 World Road Championship US National Road Championship Stage, Tour de France

    1994 Thrift Drug Classic

    1995 Tour DuPont Classica San Sebastian Stage, Tour de France

    1996 Tour DuPont Fleche Wallone

    1998 Cascade Classic Rheinland Pfalz Rundfahrt Sprint 56K Criterium Tour of Luxembourg

    1999 Stage, Circuit de la Sarthe Stage, Dauphine Libre Stage, Route du Sud Tour de France
    Boxmeer Criterium

    2000 Tour de France GP Eddy Merckx GP Des Nations

    2001 Tour of Switzerland Tour de France

    2002 Midi Libre Dauphine Libre Tour de France

    Yep. All he can win is the TdF.

    Todd Kuzma Heron Bicycles Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery LaSalle, Il 815-223-1776
    http://www.heronbicycles.com http://www.tullios.com
     
  20. G

    G Guest

    I'm still trying figure this one out:

    David Ryan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > The anti-Lance crowd is sure giving up early. Do the rest of the peloton, classics winners, UCI
    > point leaders and everyone's cycling heroes, other than Lance, suddenly become pygmies in July?

    Is he saying good classics riders should be top tour riders like Lance? Or can I say Lance is a
    pygmie in Spring??

    Thanks Todd, your list is full of short & long stage races, ITT's, a 2 man TT and was Boxmeer that
    rigged crit where he beat Cipo in a bunch sprint? I think there are some 1 day races there
    somewhere.. yes the '93 Worlds & Fleche Wallone! But they were a friggin long time ago!

    GK (not anti Lance, but amused by the "Go Lance, Just Go!" crowd)

    Todd Kuzma <[email protected]> wrote:
    > How about this? First places:
    >
    > 1992 First Union Grad Prix Thrift Drug Classic Stage, Tour of Galicia
    >
    > 1993 World Road Championship US National Road Championship Stage, Tour de France
    >
    > 1994 Thrift Drug Classic
    >
    > 1995 Tour DuPont Classica San Sebastian Stage, Tour de France
    >
    > 1996 Tour DuPont Fleche Wallone
    >
    > 1998 Cascade Classic Rheinland Pfalz Rundfahrt Sprint 56K Criterium Tour of Luxembourg
    >
    > 1999 Stage, Circuit de la Sarthe Stage, Dauphine Libre Stage, Route du Sud Tour de France Boxmeer
    > Criterium
    >
    > 2000 Tour de France GP Eddy Merckx GP Des Nations
    >
    > 2001 Tour of Switzerland Tour de France
    >
    > 2002 Midi Libre Dauphine Libre Tour de France
    >
    > Yep. All he can win is the TdF.
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...