Lance to run NY Marathon

bobke

Oct 3, 2004
Announced of course on Patriot's Day when the Boston Marathon is run.

I note where his wife has made a big deal out of her running experience and doing marathons.

I say he'll do 2:30, no better.

Jalabert finished top 500 in 2:55, not shabby.
But Lance is a former runner and he'll have a running coach from CTS no doubt.

Maybe a triathlon after like an IRONMAN!!!!!!!
I see Lance finishing on Hawaii in two years.

Have you a link about Jalabert running the marathon?
I'd be interested in reading about how he got on.
Thanks

...and Lance can take one hit on that half used vile of EPO sitting in his cupboard.... :p

* sorry * Couldn't help that one !

Funny enough WBT will be running the London Marathon this weekend.... wish me luck ! Trying to break 3.30m :) Its my first one......

hombredesubaru said:

I note where his wife has made a big deal out of her running experience and doing marathons.

hombredesubaru said:

Rolf Aldag will run the Hamburg marathon this weekend, later in the year he is gonna do the ironman qualifying (triathlon) on Teneriffa (i think, well it was one of the canary islands) and hey, Udo Bölts did really well at the iron man in Hawai a couple of years ago. Lance who?

"NY marathon and Tour de France are two sporting events where no one who participates in is clean..." Those are the words of many sport journalists.
Is it coincidence Lance have chosen this marathon or this sporting event in general?
What do you say about image of NY marathon and Lance in it?

Andrija said:
"NY marathon and Tour de France are two sporting events where no one who participates in is clean..." Those are the words of many sport journalists.
Link to one, then.

Andrija said:
Is it coincidence Lance have chosen this marathon or this sporting event in general?
Why would Lance dope for a marathon he's doing for fun? Think before you post...

Don't Jalabert and Armstrong not get along? When I first read this, I couldn't help but think he's out to prove a point against a "troll."

PartisanRanger said:
Why would Lance dope for a marathon he's doing for fun? Think before you post...
Are you stupid or what...
I'm talking about the image of marathon in the city which is "center of the world" and everything related with it must be better and above everything else in the world in every sense, no matter what it takes...
And Lance's participation in it is not just "for fun"... He wants to break 2:30 mark... So his choice of marathon and goals in it has much with his general sport and competing style.

And "rejobako"... That's public seceret... You know it too.

Ullefan said:
Don't Jalabert and Armstrong not get along? When I first read this, I couldn't help but think he's out to prove a point against a "troll."
Lance likes Jaja.
I think he may be motivated by
1. absence of competition drives him nuts
2. he always likes a big stage on which to perform
3. his ex-wife already ran it, so she has one up on him
(so he doesnt have to hear his kids taunt him later)
4. he probably always wanted to do an Ironman and since that would take a year or more of training he probably just wants to do a marathon to say he has done it
5. he will come out blazing sine he would not want to dishonor his reuptation...trust me...his recent 5 kms feel-good runs for charity were tests...he would never stick it out there if he didnt think he could smoke it.

It was his sport before cycling.And maybe he is bored and wants to do something to keep his life interesting now that most his court cases are over. Am I right in thinking running has age based groups ? So it is something he can compete in as he gets older...
I can see him attempting an Ironman someday.

bobke said:
Lance likes Jaja.

...but Jalabert has little or no time for Armstrong.
jalabert was emphatic in his criticisms of Armstrong following the 2005 TDF.

Ullefan said:

Correct Ulle - they don't get along.

Jaja said after the 2005 TDF that Armstrong had let the sport of cycling down due to all of the allegations made against him concerning dopage.

Andrija said:
Before you post **** like this, take a second to realize that over 30,000 amateurs do this race for various personal reasons and I would doubt that more than a handful of them are on more than powergel... I wasn't when I did it. The Tour is invite only for the best cyclinsts in the world, the new york marathon is first and foremost a personal challenge for each individual participant. Every finisher gets a medal and that, for them, is a victory. A handful of elite athletes race the marathon for money and I have no idea what they do in those remote kenyan training camps but haven't heard any stories about elite marathoners doping... triathletes, yes, but not marathoners. I am not saying they don't... just haven't heard it. But for all of the reasons I point out, your comments are way out of line.

And, WBT, good luck to you in London. If you are brave enough, PM me your real name so I can look up your results. Marathons are still, to me, the finest events around to test yourself, your endurance, your ability to train and race with discipline, and your ability to push yourself. They are addictive, welcome to the club.

And welcome to Lance too. I have been curious for a long time how he would do in a marathon. This story was in Runners World last year on this very topic. Now we will know.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-78-0-0-6573,00.html

barnstorm said:
Before you post **** like this, take a second to realize that over 30,000 amateurs do this race for various personal reasons and I would doubt that more than a handful of them are on more than powergel... I wasn't when I did it. The Tour is invite only for the best cyclinsts in the world, the new york marathon is first and foremost a personal challenge for each individual participant. Every finisher gets a medal and that, for them, is a victory. A handful of elite athletes race the marathon for money and I have no idea what they do in those remote kenyan training camps but haven't heard any stories about elite marathoners doping... triathletes, yes, but not marathoners. I am not saying they don't... just haven't heard it. But for all of the reasons I point out, your comments are way out of line.
Another US-centric jerk living in illusions.
There are numerous marathons all over the world... And if you are so well informed you'd know that in every and each marathon every participant who finishes it gets medal... And every participant in every of them has it's own reasons.
On Sunday there's Belgrade marathon too with (at least 30000) participants in marathon (not half - marathon, not run - for fun, - marathon).
But let's back on the topic, NY marathon is the only one which carries image of "dopers marathon"... Why... well, 'cause suddenly most of participants can do it no matter if they ever ran (not to talk about sport - life)... And about those professionals.. Just look at their results... Tergat for example... Before NY and on NY.
And about TDF, that's the image which is applied to it 'cause it's cruelty and numerous doping affairs.
Read my other posts and then make some comments Yankee... Earth goes around the Sun not NY.

Andrija said:

But let's back on the topic, NY marathon is the only one which carries image of "dopers marathon"... Why... well, 'cause suddenly most of participants can do it no matter if they ever ran (not to talk about sport - life)... And about those professionals.. Just look at their results... Tergat for example... Before NY and on NY.
You are wrong . Dope does not make anyone go faster or farther. Training does. Dope makes your "Training become enhanced." Dope without training is meaningless. { Unless you were at a Grateful Dead concert. But that's another thread entirely.}
Rarely can an individual run a marathon unless they have trained somewhat for it. In my youth I have ran 5 of them in the cycling off season. Even though I was logging many miles on the bike, it still was not easy.
As I read barnstorms post I did not get the impression that he was saying anything about any other marathon not giving medals. He was specifically reffering to just the NY marathon. From your posts I get the impression that you have a self esteem problem. No one here is saying anything about Americans being the "center of the world."
And to try and make the impression that most journalists claim .." "NY marathon and Tour de France are two sporting events where no one who participates in is clean..." is wrong. There may be several that make this claim but not the majority.
Get real.

thanks wolfix. couldn't have said it better.

andrija. that's a couple of pretty harsh posts with no points. Typical to bash me for where I am from since you don't have a point. As wolf pointed out, I know every marathon gives out medals which was exactly my point. Regular people do them just for fun and to push themselves. Accusing amateurs who run marathons of doping is ridiculous. First, you are completely wrong, second, you have nothing to back up your outlandish claims, third, you are completely off topic. And before you start making ignorant racist assumptions about me for being american, consider how easy it would be for someone to do that about you after the events in your country over the past decade. I won't take the bait do something as pathetic as that but people in glass houses should definitely not throw stones. Read the damned story about Lance and the marathon that I posted and think about the actual topic before going off on your next ignorant, baseless, racist rant.

wolfix said:
There may be several that make this claim but not the majority.
I didn't mention majority...
And why is "dopers marathon" only applied to NY marathon... Jealousy or what?
As in Armstrong case...
I was saying - interesting choice of marathon from Armstrong. And you all can interpret it how ever you want...