Lance to run NY Marathon

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by bobke, Apr 20, 2006.

1. barnstorm

barnstorm New Member

the New York marathon does not have an image of a dopers marathon. You have completely fabricated this argument. Your Tergat point makes no sense either. He ran 2:04:55 in Berlin in 2003 to break the world record then won New York in 2005 in 2:09:30 because New York is a much tougher course. Are you actually arguing that this is evidence of doping by Tergat at New York? Are you really implying that he is a clean guy who got jacked up on something because that's what people do in New York. You are pathetic.

2. Andrija

Andrija Member

Now I'm racist...?
    O.K.
    I accept, but what does it have to do with image of an race... That's the image, as is what you've mentioned about last decade here... Do you want me to mention Iraq as latest thing or 1999. or...
    Read posts man... Only in that way you'll get complete picture on my opinion.

3. teetopkram

teetopkram New Member

Innocent until proven guilty, Jaja.

Seems to me people who make unproven allegations are the ones who are doing more damage to the sport...refocus your attention, Jaja.

Mark

4. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Surley your not suggesting Ophra Winfrey and Puff Daddy took EPO before there tilt on the NY marathon... heaven forbid ! :p

....and little Miss. Kik Armstrong as well ?

5. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Jalabert only confirmed exactly what members of USPS/DC staff, riders, medical people had alleged about Armstrong.

Also given the fact that Jaja raced against 1992-1996 LA version and the 1999-2004 version, I would suggest that Jalabert is better placed than most to offer an accurate assesment of how Armstrong, for want of a better word,
    "improved".

6. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I have very limited knowledge of marathon running.
    I asked a pal of mine who is running in London this weekend about the NY marathon and he made the exact same statement as you did (and this guy has no axe to grind either way).

Must be some truth to the perception about NY marathon.

7. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Good luck in the London marathon BTW, WBT.

8. Andrija

Andrija Member

As I said: "It's public secret..."
    But if I start arguing with Americans... Then I become racist.
    Remember, don't touch holly American things like NY marathon, Lance Armstrong... Or you'll become Adolf...

9. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

...or Milosevic ;)

10. Andrija

Andrija Member

Yeah, yeah:D :D :D !!!

11. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Agreed.

12. rejobako

rejobako New Member

The problem here is that Andrija's initial offering in this thread was:

"NY marathon and Tour de France are two sporting events where no one who participates in is clean..." Those are the words of many sport journalists"

I asked for a link to just one, and I got a wink-wink-nudge-nudge "it's a public secret."

I'd also like to find any authority besides Andrija's own words that the NYC marathon is known as "the dopers marathon".

The funny thing is, the NYC Marathon title is not even close to as prestigious as the Boston. Anyone over 18 can run the NYC marathon, while you must qualify for the Boston. The assumption that the NYC marathon is more coveted just because "it's in New York" is flat out stupid, and reveals a lot about the person who says it: you don't know sh*t about running. Stick to your bicycle.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, unlike cycling, no amount of enhancement drugs is going to overcome the genetic advantages of being born in certain parts of Africa. Look at the list of the last 9 NYC marathon winners -- 6 are Kenyans, and all are Africans. The same holds true for the Boston Marathon -- dominated by Africans, specifically Kenyans. The thought that the NYC marathon, and only the NYC marathon, is a dopers event, is asinine, and the only reason Andrija said it is because of a dislike for Lance Armstrong and Americans in general. Funny, that poster has a real dislike for "US-Centricity". Well, I have a dislike for disingenuous Serbian blowhards who post assumptions and then rely upon them later as facts without posting a single link to one of the "many" sports journalists who apparently see a special link between the NYC Marathon and the Tour de France as "dopers events". LOL. Lying sack of Serbian horse crap.

13. Andrija

Andrija Member

Even "sack of Serbian horse crap" worths more than everything you've posted here...
    I don't have anything against Americans nor Armstrong... It seems you have something against the truth... Ask people who know something about marathons in the world and their image.
    As someone here would say "the knife cuts deep".

Not to mention that things you've posted about me and Serbians in general makes you racist.

14. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Let's all calm down folks.

When I see long standing members like rejobako getting slightly annoyed, I think we ought to take heed.
    He's normally pretty steady in his views.
    I'm sure that And wasn't meaning to be offensive to Americans either.

We're only having a discussion here folks. It's Friday too!

15. Andrija

Andrija Member

Off course it wasn't my intention to be offensive to Americans.
    I was just commenting Armstrong's choice of sporting event with questionable reputation.
    I'll stop here.

16. thebluetrain

thebluetrain New Member

Or Darko Milicic

17. Ricardo29

Ricardo29 New Member

ive followed marathon my whole life, and have NEVER heard anything mentioned about drugs/doping, to do with any marathon, let alone new york.

and im stuffed if i know how hassling a serbian is racist. a serbian's a person form serbia...who gives a sh.t. a yank's a yank....big deal. an irishman's a paddy...who cares. nothing to do with racism.

18. PartisanRanger

PartisanRanger New Member

But you've provided no evidence that it has a questionable reputation. You've just made people angry.

19. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I've no real knowledge of marathon running but even I know that doping allegations have plagued the sport of marathon running.

You might be too young to remember - but Frank Shorter of the USA always alleged at Russian/East germans were doped (Shorter finished second to them
    at Montreal 76).

20. barnstorm

barnstorm New Member

Swirling discussion as usual. To be clear, I take exception to two things you did. First, you stated above that no one who participates is clean. That is very different than stating that the winners cheat or that everyone that rides the tour cheats. Had you made those assertions, some people would have come after you but I probably wouldn't have. I have run 14 marathons and trained with hundreds of people over the last 10 years and doping has never, ever, in any way entered the minds, thoughts, or a single conversation or reference even once. Never at a training session, race, expo, chat room, anything. You asserted that people like me and my friends dope and that is totally out of line. You are wrong, and you are wrong for saying that.

Second, you posted this...

Another US-centric jerk living in illusions.

Read my other posts and then make some comments Yankee... Earth goes around the Sun not NY.

Here, you were out of line in attempting to take personal shots at me for being American and disagreeing with your post. That is racism...

ra·cism [ ráy sìzzəm ]

noun Definitions: 1. animosity toward other races: prejudice or animosity against people who belong to other races

2. belief in racial superiority: the belief that people of different races have different qualities and abilities, and that some races are inherently superior or inferior

I never attacked you or made any reference about you being Serbian or Slavic. I attacked your baseless claim that everyone who runs the NY marathon is a doper. You haven't even been able to come up with a single reference or any source to support the assertion that the elite runners dope. That would be a fine discussion since most sports have cheats, I would be totally unsurprised to see a reference to cheating/doping in elite marathoning. But you haven't done that. My argument had exactly nothing to do with me being American and everything to do with me being a marathon runner for 10 years of my life. A clean marathon runner at that.

I understand that it's fun to make fun of Americans who blindly support Lance, Discovery etc. and have come to find that discussion mildly entertaining. To make personal racist attacks on me for being American when I totally destroy your ignorant post is way out of line and says a lot about you as a person. Then you at least admit to being a racist, so that's at least on the table.

The final point on this is that I am not a blind eyed American when it comes to cycling or this forum. Search my posts and find a single one that demonstrates me seeing the world through red, white, and blue glasses. I am proud to be American, I accept America's political failings and am free to disagree with them. As an American, I am given that right. I am fair about Lance, and a big fan of european cycling and european cyclists. Most of my cheering at this year's tour will be for an East German like, it seems, most of the people on this forum. Don't try this crap on me again. Post about the sport and the topic and back up your arguments. Save the inappropriate personal attacks for somewhere else in your life.