Lance to run NY Marathon

Fellas - I hear what you're saying.

Barn & rejobako : I understand your taking offence and I can see how offence was taken.
I am sure Andrija wasn't deliberately having a go at Americans in totality.

Andrija withdrew the remark he made - which is a magnanimous gesture after I asked for a bit of calm earlier.

I don't want these threads disintegrating into stereotypes that are neither accurate or fair : be they in relation to Serbia, the USA, Britain, or even Ireland!

We're all supposed to be sports fans - sure we support certain riders and dispute other riders.
So let's leave the debate to cycling/sport matters please.

There are plenty of issues to fallout over in the sport.

Thanks for your co-operation.

limerickman said:
Fellas - I hear what you're saying.

Barn & rejobako : I understand your taking offence and I can see how offence was taken.
I am sure Andrija wasn't deliberately having a go at Americans in totality.

Andrija withdrew the remark he made - which is a magnanimous gesture after I asked for a bit of calm earlier.

I don't want these threads disintegrating into stereotypes that are neither accurate or fair : be they in relation to Serbia, the USA, Britain, or even Ireland!

We're all supposed to be sports fans - sure we support certain riders and dispute other riders.
So let's leave the debate to cycling/sport matters please.

There are plenty of issues to fallout over in the sport.

Thanks for your co-operation.
Lim, I agree. This one put me over the edge for totally justifiable reasons. Andrija PMd me and we worked it out.

barnstorm said:
Lim, I agree. This one put me over the edge for totally justifiable reasons. Andrija PMd me and we worked it out.

Good - glad to read this.

barnstorm And said:
I just looked up the start list for your marathon ...... I noticed that George Hincapie is starting in the group just in front of you WBT. Just pace yourself with him. He'll get you to the line without any disarray happening to you. Good luck !!!

Maybe Armstrong wil have Aczevedo and Beltran as his lead out men running through the Bronx, with Hincapie and Ekimov the praetorian guard - with Popovych working with him as he rounds Central Park.............sorry this is running, isn't it???

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: Running ...??? We are talking about running ?????? Who hell runs when there are perfectly good bikes to ride?????

wolfix said:
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: Running ...??? We are talking about running ?????? Who hell runs when there are perfectly good bikes to ride?????
What's the problem? Running is what you do when you get done biking.
Tri On

wolfix said:

Haha, good question. I was a runner before I even thought about riding a bike.

I've only run one marathon, but it was a lot of fun. 7000 people started, so there was always someone interesting to talk to -- sort of. My ex-girl made me run with her for the first half. I've never had so many fights with a woman as when I train with them.

I'd be hard pressed to have a conversation while running!
The only words that do spring to mind are "gasp" and "are we nearly there yet!"

I think I would find running 26 miles far harder than doing the Etape 237kms (= 146 miles).

I forgot the 365 yards!

limerickman said:

I think I would find running 26 miles far harder than doing the Etape 237kms (= 146 miles).

I forgot the 365 yards!

Ahh Lim, didn't you do 12,000 kms on the bike last year? You could run 26 mi no sweat!

tcklyde said:
Ahh Lim, didn't you do 12,000 kms on the bike last year? You could run 26 mi no sweat!

Hold up there, Tck - I know my limits!

I can't run for figs.

For me at least, cycling seems a lot easier.
I tried running and I found it tough going on the joints - after a couple of miles my knees and ankles began to feel the strain.

Whereas cycling (while tough too) doesn't seem to register on my knees especially, compared to running.

Fair dues to you for completing your marathon.
I really admire people who complete a marathon.

You know... The God gives you limited number of steps in your life and you're hurrying to spend them (running)... But He didn't mention nothing about cycling...

I ran 3 hours and 52 minutes in Sunday's London marathon... it nearly killed me.... I needed EPO bad ! I ran the first half in 1 hour 36 but failed badly.... the last 6 miles were horriable.... if Lance can run sub 2.30 then he has got some help.... never again for me !

limerickman said:

I forgot the 365 yards!

whiteboytrash said:
I ran 3 hours and 52 minutes in Sunday's London marathon... it nearly killed me.... I needed EPO bad ! I ran the first half in 1 hour 36 but failed badly.... the last 6 miles were horriable.... if Lance can run sub 2.30 then he has got some help.... never again for me !
WBT, nice work on the sub 4 first marathon. I know you wanted to go 3:30 but as you now know, just finishing a marathon is a huge effort, going sub 4 is really something.

All joking aside about Lance and the marathon. IF, he were to do anything but natural training for this race, that could perhaps be the most pathetic thing I have ever heard in sport. I optimistically doubt he would stoop to something like cheating when the gain is nothing more than publicity but have to admit that the back door of my mind is open to the idea that he would do it and if he did...

whiteboytrash said:

To complete a marathon is a great achievement - to do your first one in
3:52 is even better.
Well done : hard going as you say - but you did it and that's what counts.

It's a great feeling to complete something like that : the sense of satisfaction
when you finish makes all that effort (and pain) worthwhile.

BTW It'll Tuesday when the real pain sets in!

whiteboytrash said:

WBT in disarray? :D

1:36 for the first half (or any half) is bloody good.

I think it was Mark Allen who said a marathon is 20 miles of hoping and 6.2 miles of finding out.

Good work.

WBT, just reread your "never again" comment. My coaches used to tell me that there are only two things you are absolutely not to do in the first week after a marathon.

1. Plan your next marathon
2. Promise never to do another.

Give it a week, then decide.

limerickman said:
Good - glad to read this.
Just revisited the portion of this thread where I responded with a bit of overzealousness to Andrija. Given the conciliatory posts that followed, I too will acknowledge that I stepped over a line. I enjoy participating in this forum from time to time -- one thing I really enjoy about it is that there are members from literally all over the world. That fact, however, also gives rise to one of only two pet peeves I have about these discussion. First, although I am sympathetic to a bit of nationalistic fervor, I dislike it when I see people targeting a cyclist or a forum member by projecting a dislike for the nation he/she represents, or when generalizations are made in this same light. You want to dislike Lance Armstrong because you think he's a boor and quite probably a doper? Fine. But when you suggest that he is those things because he's an American, then I take offense. Reading between the lines of Andrija's criticisms of the NYC marathon revealed a premise -- Americans like their events to be bigger and better, which makes their winners bigger and better, therefore the NYC marathon must be full of cheating Americans trying to get away with something -- why else would Armstrong run it? That's piling inference upon inference, and I responded vehemently to the tactic.

And that leads to my second pet peeve, which is the "guilty until proven innocent" vibe that seems to be present in here from time to time relating to allegations of doping within the professional cycling community. Apparently, "everyone does it", so we should revile anyone who wins a cycling event. But it seems to me that this condemnations are always selective. If you don't like the winner to begin with, he must be doping. If you are sympathetic to the winner, then you simply applaud him. Where's the consistency? The way I see it, if everyone is doping and you find that intolerable, then you follow the sport at your own risk. Don't ruin it for the rest of us.

In my view, I suspect that one of two things is true. The skeptics are wrong, drug testing is effective but not infallible, and from time to time we will be presented with the discouraging news that a participant has succumbed to the temptation. The other possibility is that the skeptics are right, and everyone in the professional cycling world is in on the same dirty secret -- they're all doping. And if that's the case, then what does it really matter? Let's let them all ride with hyperdermic needles sticking out of their arms and their doctors and pharmacists riding in the team cars. At least that way everyone has the same advantage and we can stop with the holier than thou "I'm shocked, shocked I tell you" sanctimony that appears in here far too often and which chokes the life out of many a legitimate thread.

Like this one, for example. In his retirement, a 7-time TdF winner is dabbling in long-distance running; that's an interesting story. A ubiquitous fixture in this forums, WBT, just ran his first marathon in a quite respectable time -- that adds some flavor to the discussion (incidentally, WBT -- my wife beat your time by a scant minute in the Bank of America marathon in Tampa in Feb, but she was running her third ;) ). Do we really have to taint everything with unfounded assertions that the NYC marathon is a "dopers event" and so gee, no wonder Armstrong's entered. He must still be on the juice. :rolleyes:

All that being said, I bear no ill will toward Andrija or anyone else in this forum, but I will point out what I perceive to be either unprovoked xenophobia or rumormongering for its own sake.

That being said, I have to go back to work now. My wife has decided to set her sights on completing an Ironman triathalon, which of course necessitated her sudden purchase of an expensive road bike. :eek:

Well said rejobako. Theres a lot of sense in what you have written, other readers of the forum take note!

WBT, congratulations on running your first marathon. I'm thinking of doing one myself at some point soon, better go get some running shoes.

On another note this is from cyclingnews (and took me ages to relocate but I knew i'd read it before):

Former T-Mobile rider Rolf Aldag finished 31st in his marathon debut this weekend. The tall German had announced that he was aiming for a finish time of 2 hours and 45 minutes, and came in almost exactly on time, at 2:42:57. "That was brutal," Aldag said. "I started out much too fast."

But the former teammate of Jan Ullrich and Erik Zabel was running together with an experienced companion who helped him pace himself, "and then it went perfectly." Aldag said it was a great experience, but "I can cycle better." The Hamburg marathon was won for the fourth time by Spaniard Julio Rey, in a time of 2:06:52.
So theres another ex pro trying their hand at running!

Thanks for all the well wishes ! :) The Mark Allen comment is so true... the last 6 miles were horrible.. I cannot describe it.... I stopped once at about 21 miles and some American girl on the sidelines looked me in the eye and said "Come on ! Keep running", I shook my head to say no.. then she said "Come on, yes you can, 20 more minutes and you're finished !" with that I broke back into a jog and she cheered.... that’s my memory.... one other thing of note is the crowds... its like a bubble and my thoughts at the time were this what it must be a cyclist riding up the mountains in the Tour.. Its great at the start when you're feeling fresh but when you're in a world of pain and hurt you just want to be on your own to run.. you hate the crowds.... I can't imagine how the Tour riders do this for 20 days straight....

I don't think I can do another marathon because of the jarring on my knees and sore hips but I loved to get myself a bike again and ride the e’Tape but living in London makes it hard to get decent rides in…… I’ll let you all know in a week….

As for Lance using drugs to get him through NY… there is probably no need for him to do it or risk being caught…. He is a decent athlete who can ride a bike for 8 hours so 2 hours 30 on the pave of New York city shouldn’t trouble him to much…. Maybe a match race between Ullrich and Armstrong at the 2007 NY Marathon ? :)

barnstorm said:
WBT, just reread your "never again" comment. My coaches used to tell me that there are only two things you are absolutely not to do in the first week after a marathon.

1. Plan your next marathon
2. Promise never to do another.

Give it a week, then decide.