Road Cycling · Public discussion

Lance Will Have Problems In July

Started by Richard Longwood · · Last activity · 53 posts · 2,099 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
2 May 2004
Last activity
11 May 2004
Original author
Richard Longwood
Posts
53
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,099
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 53
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Carl Sundquist" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Jan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    The standard practice in this group is to post the entire podium in


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Subject field.

    Just out of curiosity ......Why?????? Is it an American sort of custom-


    for

    Quoted message said:

    want of a better word??
    Jan

    What makes you think it is just Americans who do it?

    Don't know really... just trying to make some sort of sense as to why one
    would post the results of any race in the heading/subject field rather than
    in the body of the post.

    Jan

  2. Who is ???

    Been contributing here since July'ish 2002. And (I've just double checked)
    in plain text.
    Jan

  3. On 05/02/2004 05:04 PM, in article
    [email hidden], "Jan" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "Carl Sundquist" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Jan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    >
    > The standard practice in this group is to post the entire podium in


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Subject field.
    >

    Just out of curiosity ......Why?????? Is it an American sort of custom-


    for

    Quoted message said:

    want of a better word??
    Jan

    What makes you think it is just Americans who do it?

    Don't know really... just trying to make some sort of sense as to why one
    would post the results of any race in the heading/subject field rather than
    in the body of the post.

    Because we're all just a bunch of [censored] bicycle racers.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com
    veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
    bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est
    ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea aye tee why you ti ay aitch
    aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you
    double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

  4. "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Carl Sundquist said:

    What makes you think it is just Americans who do it?

    Yes.

    Then I owe you and Jan (and all non-Americans, I suppose) an apology. I
    thought you had posted results in a header a time or two.

    Sorry.

  5. "Jan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Don't know really... just trying to make some sort of sense as to why one
    would post the results of any race in the heading/subject field rather


    than

    Quoted message said:

    in the body of the post.

    I never said it made any sense. I just said it was common on rbr to do it.

  6. "Jan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Just out of curiosity ......Why?????? Is it an American sort of custom-


    for

    Quoted message said:

    want of a better word??

    Because half of the group still worships Trdina and Palachek and admires the
    way that they ignored newsgroup etiquette and vomited in our faces by
    posting the results to purposely screw people up.

    So now they all want to emulate their heros and post results in the headers.

  7. Carl Sundquist said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What makes you think it is just Americans who do it?

    Yes.

    Then I owe you and Jan (and all non-Americans, I suppose) an apology.

    No sorry, I meant: yeah, what does make you etc.

    I must admit I don't like results in the header; intrinsically because it
    doesn't show much consideration, and second because RC or some such started
    it to irritate the regulars, and others adopted it while trying to be cool
    by association. However, in effect I don't care one way or the other
    because overhere, with my friends, avoiding the results when waiting for a
    recorded race is way harder than just not opening rbr.

  8. Tom Kunich said:

    Because half of the group still worships Trdina and Palachek and admires
    the way that they ignored newsgroup etiquette and vomited in our faces by
    posting the results to purposely screw people up.

    So now they all want to emulate their heros and post results in the
    headers.

    Damn, I swear I didn't read this before I posted my reply to Sundquist.
    Which is even more disquieting.

  9. Carl Sundquist said:

    "Jan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    Don't know really... just trying to make some sort of sense as to
    why one would post the results of any race in the heading/subject
    field rather


    than

    Quoted message said:

    in the body of the post.


    I never said it made any sense. I just said it was common on rbr to do
    it.

    Forget about the whole symantics of result posting. Looking at NGs
    results in spoilers. In any argument it might be useful use evidence.
    Lets say the post was about what the header said. Lets say there were
    three lines of evidence. 1. Lance didn't look great in the tour of
    georgia when he attacked on the mountain top finish. 2. Tyler looked
    awesome in the tour of Romandie winning the final TT and the entire
    event by 1.43. 3. Lance is old. So basically, any thread could have a
    spoiler, for god sakes there might even be a non cycling related
    spoiler. If you are going to watch something on tape and you don't want
    to hear about it (like I did with ever tour stage last year) then avoid
    rbr, espn, the radio, yahoo sports, eurosport news, freinds who may have
    watched the event ect. ect.

    --

  10. "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    RBR is NOT "other newsgroups" ...

    The standard practice in this group is to post the entire podium in the
    Subject field.

    If you don't want to see results of a particular race in this newsgroup,
    then don't READ this newsgroup until after you've watched your tape of the
    race in question.

    Learn it. Live it. Love it.

    This is just [censored] stupid.

  11. On 05/02/2004 08:16 PM, in article
    [email hidden], "scott"

    Quoted message said:

    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    RBR is NOT "other newsgroups" ...

    The standard practice in this group is to post the entire podium in the
    Subject field.

    If you don't want to see results of a particular race in this newsgroup,
    then don't READ this newsgroup until after you've watched your tape of the
    race in question.

    Learn it. Live it. Love it.

    This is just [censored] stupid.

    No arguments there; but I've long since given up trying to avoid results in
    RBR ... Palachik, the TURD-ina, and others in the Philly crew have done
    wonders in destroying this newsgroup.

    So now we can just be childish here, and go to cyclingnews.com for the real
    substance ...

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com
    veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
    bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est
    ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea aye tee why you ti ay aitch
    aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you
    double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

  12. "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    No arguments there; but I've long since given up trying to avoid
    results in RBR ... Palachik, the TURD-ina, and others in the Philly
    crew have done wonders in destroying this newsgroup.

    So this newsgroup is destroyed, eh? Funny, seems to works just fine to me,
    but then I only live about 2 hours north of Philly.

    NS

  13. On 05/02/2004 10:44 PM, in article
    [email hidden], "Nev Shea"

    Quoted message said:

    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    No arguments there; but I've long since given up trying to avoid
    results in RBR ... Palachik, the TURD-ina, and others in the Philly
    crew have done wonders in destroying this newsgroup.

    So this newsgroup is destroyed, eh? Funny, seems to works just fine to me,
    but then I only live about 2 hours north of Philly.

    That's because you've only been here since 1999, when most of the best
    denizens of the group had already long since left, like Steve Bak and Bruce
    Hildenbrand and Steven Perryman and so on and so forth.

    <http://groups.google.com/groups?q=as+i+see+it+sbak%40cix.compulink.co.uk&hl
    =en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&c2coff=1&safe=off&selm=CtAGJn.AJw%40cix.compulink.
    co.uk&rnum=31>

    <http://groups.google.com/groups?q=bhilden%40stelvio.eng.sun.com+miguel+indu
    rain+boulder&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&c2coff=1&safe=off&scoring=d&selm=44
    api8%247fb%40engnews2.Eng.Sun.COM&rnum=4>

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com
    veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
    bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est
    ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea aye tee why you ti ay aitch
    aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you
    double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

  14. jim gravity <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    And now Tyler thinks he can win:

    "My objective remains the Tour de France, I'll target a podium place
    but I also believe that I can win. I had to fight for victory here
    for Phonak."

    At this point I think Tyler Hamilton can be regarded as a strong
    contender. In order for Tyler to win both Armstrong & Ullrich would
    both have to off form. I think this is very unlikely. Another factor
    is that Tyler has not won a tdf stage yet.

    Quoted message said:

    --

  15. --
    Jan
    __o
    _`\(,_
    (_)/ (_)
    "Charles Hizark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    jim gravity <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    And now Tyler thinks he can win:

    "My objective remains the Tour de France, I'll target a podium place
    but I also believe that I can win. I had to fight for victory here
    for Phonak."

    At this point I think Tyler Hamilton can be regarded as a strong
    contender. In order for Tyler to win both Armstrong & Ullrich would
    both have to off form. I think this is very unlikely. Another factor
    is that Tyler has not won a tdf stage yet.

    Quoted message said:

    --

    er.. didn't he win stage 16 ( Pau to Bayonne) last year?

    Jan

  16. --
    "Charles Hizark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    jim gravity <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    And now Tyler thinks he can win:

    "My objective remains the Tour de France, I'll target a podium place
    but I also believe that I can win. I had to fight for victory here
    for Phonak."

    At this point I think Tyler Hamilton can be regarded as a strong
    contender. In order for Tyler to win both Armstrong & Ullrich would
    both have to off form. I think this is very unlikely. Another factor
    is that Tyler has not won a tdf stage yet.

    Quoted message said:

    --

    er.. didn't he win stage 16 ( Pau to Bayonne) last year?

    Jan

  17. "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    On 05/02/2004 10:44 PM, in article
    [email hidden], "Nev Shea"

    Quoted message said:

    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    No arguments there; but I've long since given up trying to avoid
    results in RBR ... Palachik, the TURD-ina, and others in the Philly
    crew have done wonders in destroying this newsgroup.

    So this newsgroup is destroyed, eh? Funny, seems to works just fine
    to me, but then I only live about 2 hours north of Philly.

    Quoted message said:


    That's because you've only been here since 1999, when most of the best
    denizens of the group had already long since left, like Steve Bak and
    Bruce Hildenbrand and Steven Perryman and so on and so forth.

    Not quite -- I've only had this ISP since 1999, but was around before
    that though more of a lurker then. I don't remember Bak, but I do
    remember the other two. And as I recall, Bruce Hildenbrand left in a huff
    because Andrew "Not At" Albright had the audacity to challenge what he
    was saying. Ok, so Andrew wasn't particularly polite or subtle, but to
    me, Hildenbrand came off as a [censored] in the end because when he couldn't
    persuade Andrew to worship him as a god of cycling insights he took his
    toys and went away. Boo hoo.

    Quoted message said:

    <http://groups.google.com/groups?q=as+i+see+it+sbak%40cix.compulink.co.
    uk&hl
    =en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&c2coff=1&safe=off&selm=CtAGJn.AJw%40cix.compu
    link. co.uk&rnum=31>

    Since both of those long links wrapped I only bothered to reconstruct
    this one. Does this mean you think the NG is destroyed because now you
    have to go to Cyclingnews.com to read a live race report or a recap?

    Of course, while lamenting the loss of a few posters from "the good old
    days", you neglect to mention those that have stuck around as well as
    others who have joined. Except for a dramatic exit like Hildenbrand's,
    folks can leave simply out of boredom, having better things to do or
    getting finger cancer, but go ahead and blame it on the evil Philly crew
    if that makes you happy. Still, it seems really silly to complain about
    the NG being "destroyed" -- after all, it can't be so bad if you're still
    here, eh?

    NS

  18. Steven L. Sheffield said:
    Quoted message said:

    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Learn it. Live it. Love it.

    Quoted message said:

    No arguments there; but I've long since given up trying to avoid results in
    RBR ... Palachik, the TURD-ina, and others in the Philly crew have done
    wonders in destroying this newsgroup.

    Quoted message said:

    So now we can just be childish here, and go to cyclingnews.com for the real
    substance ...

    Dude,

    Tough-talking "Learn it. Live it. Love it," and then disclaiming
    responsibility and blaming the "Philly crew" for destroying RBR, is
    not exactly staking out the moral high ground. Be a jerk, or a
    nice guy, but please not a jerk who wants to be a nice guy.

    RBR has changed in part because we now get daily and even live
    reports from cyclingnews.com, velonews.com and yes even OLN-TV.
    Not to mention rider interviews and other such. Steve Bak's
    race reports, though unmatched for eloquence, are not the sole
    source of information they once were. BTW, Perryman still
    shows up around the TdF each year, if only to troll people
    into arguments about Marino Lejarreta.

    Ben
    wannabe jerk

  19. "Jan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    --
    "Charles Hizark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    jim gravity <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    And now Tyler thinks he can win:

    "My objective remains the Tour de France, I'll target a podium place
    but I also believe that I can win. I had to fight for victory here
    for Phonak."

    At this point I think Tyler Hamilton can be regarded as a strong
    contender. In order for Tyler to win both Armstrong & Ullrich would
    both have to off form. I think this is very unlikely. Another factor
    is that Tyler has not won a tdf stage yet.

    Quoted message said:

    --

    er.. didn't he win stage 16 ( Pau to Bayonne) last year?

    Jan

    Yeah, but he did that with a broken collar bone, so it doesn't count.
    let's see him win one healthy.

  20. "lazysegall" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:v8hlc.2070

    Quoted message said:

    then avoid
    rbr, espn, the radio, yahoo sports, eurosport news, freinds who may have
    watched the event ect. ect.

    All I really have to avoid is rbr and any cycling friends that aren't
    avoiding me!

    Seriously, most people who know you have it taped won't spoil it. That
    leaves rbr. It would seem that people would just start a thread that said
    'stage whatever results' and leave it at that. As it is, I just quit
    reading.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.