Lances 2004 schedule

Heinz Getzler

Guest
With the exception of this years tdf or possibly the World's we are not going to see any big
victories from Lance. Like I have said before in other posts it's regrettable that Lance is not
willing to after some of bigger races besides the tdf. I certainly understand Lance's apprehension
about riding the Giro. But on the otherhand there is nothing to prevent Lance from riding it as a
training race. Lance's arguement that his racing is centered around the tdf. It's hard to come up
with a good explanation for avoiding the fall season.

The TDF and the World's has gained far to much promince and casts far to much influence over the
rest of the season. Lance and his priorities are a definite outcome of all this. One way to solve
this problem would be to change the points distribution. Sponsors would contribute in much the same
way for the TDF. At the end of the year the world cup winner would win a large cash prize. Large
enough so that riders will change their priorites.

"Dec 2002 - Training camp, Austin, TX

January 2003 ~ Training Camp, CA ~ Training Camp, Spain

February - More training in Europe

March ~ 5-9 - Tour of Murcia, Spain ~ 24-28 - Setmana Catalana, Spain

April ~ 8-11 - Circuit de la Sarthe, France ~ 20 - Amstel Gold, Netherlands ~ 23 - La Flèche
Wallonne, Belgium ~ 27 - Liège-Bastogne-Liège, Belgium

May ~ Training month

June ~ 8-15 - Dauphiné Liberé, France

July ~ 5-27 - Tour de France

Aug

Sep

Oct ~ 24-26 - Ride for the Roses Weekend, Austin, TX"

How about just moving Worlds to an earlier date?

"Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> With the exception of this years tdf or possibly the World's we are not going to see any big
> victories from Lance. Like I have said before in other posts it's regrettable that Lance is not
> willing to after some of bigger races besides the tdf. I certainly understand Lance's apprehension
> about riding the Giro. But on the otherhand there is nothing to prevent Lance from riding it as a
> training race. Lance's arguement that his racing is centered around the tdf. It's hard to come up
> with a good explanation for avoiding the fall season.
>
> The TDF and the World's has gained far to much promince and casts far to much influence over the
> rest of the season. Lance and his priorities are a definite outcome of all this. One way to solve
> this problem would be to change the points distribution. Sponsors would contribute in much the
> same way for the TDF. At the end of the year the world cup winner would win a large cash prize.
> Large enough so that riders will change their priorites.
>

> "Dec 2002 - Training camp, Austin, TX
>
> January 2003 ~ Training Camp, CA ~ Training Camp, Spain
>
> February - More training in Europe
>
> March ~ 5-9 - Tour of Murcia, Spain ~ 24-28 - Setmana Catalana, Spain
>
> April ~ 8-11 - Circuit de la Sarthe, France ~ 20 - Amstel Gold, Netherlands ~ 23 - La Flèche
> Wallonne, Belgium ~ 27 - Liège-Bastogne-Liège, Belgium
>
> May ~ Training month
>
> June ~ 8-15 - Dauphiné Liberé, France
>
> July ~ 5-27 - Tour de France
>
> Aug
>
> Sep
>
> Oct ~ 24-26 - Ride for the Roses Weekend, Austin, TX"

So, Heinz, where did you get your coaches training?

"Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> With the exception of this years tdf or possibly the World's we are not going to see any big
> victories from Lance. Like I have said
before
> in other posts it's regrettable that Lance is not willing to after some of bigger races besides
> the tdf. I certainly understand Lance's apprehension about riding the Giro. But on the otherhand
> there is nothing to prevent Lance from riding it as a training race. Lance's arguement that his
> racing is centered around the tdf. It's hard to come up with a good explanation for avoiding the
> fall season.
>
> The TDF and the World's has gained far to much promince and casts
far
> to much influence over the rest of the season. Lance and his priorities are a definite outcome of
> all this. One way to solve this problem would be to change the points distribution. Sponsors would
> contribute in much the same way for the TDF. At the end of the year the world cup winner would win
> a large cash prize. Large enough so that riders will change their priorites.
>

> "Dec 2002 - Training camp, Austin, TX
>
> January 2003 ~ Training Camp, CA ~ Training Camp, Spain
>
> February - More training in Europe
>
> March ~ 5-9 - Tour of Murcia, Spain ~ 24-28 - Setmana Catalana, Spain
>
> April ~ 8-11 - Circuit de la Sarthe, France ~ 20 - Amstel Gold, Netherlands ~ 23 - La Flèche
> Wallonne, Belgium ~ 27 - Liège-Bastogne-Liège, Belgium
>
> May ~ Training month
>
> June ~ 8-15 - Dauphiné Liberé, France
>
> July ~ 5-27 - Tour de France
>
> Aug
>
> Sep
>
> Oct ~ 24-26 - Ride for the Roses Weekend, Austin, TX"

Heinz Getzler <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws
[email protected]...
> With the exception of this years tdf or possibly the World's we are not going to see any big
> victories from Lance.
<snip>

I think he's going to win the Amstel Gold Race. It would be nice to see him on TV more
often, however.

"Jonathan v.d. Sluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I think he's going to win the Amstel Gold Race. It would be nice to see
him
> on TV more often, however.

im with you on this one. since the final is on a steep hill, he will make PVP hurt so bad he
concedes to second place.

"Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <Snip>
> The TDF and the World's has gained far to much promince and casts far to much influence over the
> rest of the season. Lance and his priorities are a definite outcome of all this. One way to solve
> this problem would be to change the points distribution. Sponsors would contribute in much the
> same way for the TDF. At the end of the year the world cup winner would win a large cash prize.
> Large enough so that riders will change their priorites.

<Snip>

What sounds more impressive - "World Champion and 5/6 time TdF winner" or anything else?

-T

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Jonathan v.d. Sluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > I think he's going to win the Amstel Gold Race. It would be nice to see
> him
> > on TV more often, however.
>

> im with you on this one. since the final is on a steep hill, he will make PVP hurt so bad he
> concedes to second place.

PVP is more than capable of holding his own against Armstrong, or any climber, on the Cauberg. -Mike

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Jonathan v.d. Sluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > I think he's going to win the Amstel Gold Race. It would be nice to see
> him
> > on TV more often, however.
>

> im with you on this one. since the final is on a steep hill, he will make PVP hurt so bad he
> concedes to second place.

From today's cyclingnews.com:

Van Petegem looks to the Amstel

With the finish atop the steep, cobbled Cauberg climb this year, the Amstel Gold Race is definitely
suited to a smart power climber who can read the race well and make sure that he's in the right
selection. World Cup leader Peter Van Petegem has exactly those qualities, and after his stellar
performances in the last two weeks it's hard to rule him out as a favourite. In the last three
years, Van Petegem has finished no lower than seventh in this Dutch classic, although he has yet to
stand on the podium. Perhaps 2003 is his year?

While the odds against winning the Ronde van Vlaanderen, Paris-Roubaix and the Amstel Gold Race in
the same year are huge, Van Petegem certainly has the ability to perform in the non-cobbled hilly
classics as well. "I definitely still have the hunger, and it's a race that certainly lies within my
capacities," said Van Petegem in Het Nieuwsblad of his chances. "Maybe now more than previously,
because the Amstel is a lot tougher. The Keutenberg is deeper in the finale and the finish is no
longer the flat finish in Maastricht, but it's at the top of the Cauberg...a hill that I know well.
It helped me to a silver medal in the World's in Valkenburg in '98."

"Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What sounds more impressive - "World Champion and 5/6 time TdF winner" or anything else?

3 times P-R winner and 3 times RvV winner sounds more impressive

[email protected] (Davide Tosi) wrote in message

> 3 times P-R winner and 3 times RvV winner sounds more impressive

I noticed that Iban Mayo scored almost as many UCI points last week in his Basque Country as Van
Petegem with his fantastic double.

I mean , those HC stage races are fine races, but I don't think they should have such an impact. In
comparing great riders' careers as is happening here, noone would even bring up these races.

"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Davide Tosi) wrote in message
> >
> > 3 times P-R winner and 3 times RvV winner sounds more impressive
>

> I noticed that Iban Mayo scored almost as many UCI points last week in his Basque Country as Van
> Petegem with his fantastic double.
>
> I mean , those HC stage races are fine races, but I don't think they should have such an impact.
> In comparing great riders' careers as is happening here, noone would even bring up these races.

The UCI points system is weighted towards stage racers, although that doesn't prevent a sprinter and
a classics rider from occupying the top two positions. I think there were only four(!) of the UCI
top 25 in Paris-Roubaix last weekend.

cheers, Jeff

"With the finish atop the steep, cobbled Cauberg climb this year..."

Since when has the Cauberg been cobbled? It wasn't in '98 for the worlds. Is this just wrong or is
there another road going to the top of the Cauberg that is cobbled?

On 16 Apr 2003 04:54:58 -0700, Wayne wrote:
>"With the finish atop the steep, cobbled Cauberg climb this year..."
>
>Since when has the Cauberg been cobbled? It wasn't in '98 for the worlds. Is this just wrong or is
>there another road going to the top of the Cauberg that is cobbled?

No, it's not cobbled at all.

"Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> The UCI points system is weighted towards stage racers, although that doesn't prevent a sprinter
> and a classics rider from occupying the top two positions.

but what makes Zabel and Bettini stand out is that they race all season and manage to score wherever
they race, that is also in minor (stage) races.

I'd say it is weighted towards non-GT stage racers, but I understood there are good reasons for it.

> On 16 Apr 2003 04:54:58 -0700, Wayne wrote:
> >"With the finish atop the steep, cobbled Cauberg climb this year..."
> >
> >Since when has the Cauberg been cobbled? It wasn't in '98 for the worlds. Is this just wrong or
> >is there another road going to the top of the Cauberg that is cobbled?
>
> No, it's not cobbled at all.

No, it's just my imagination. Whenever I think of Valkenburg '98, I think of cobbles. Not sure why.

Jeff

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 23:52:01 +1000, Jeff Jones wrote:
>No, it's just my imagination. Whenever I think of Valkenburg '98, I think of cobbles. Not sure why.

Too much Hoegaarde?

Jeff Jones wrote:

> No, it's just my imagination. Whenever I think of Valkenburg '98, I think of cobbles. Not
> sure why.

Perhaps you remember some pictures. Camenzind looked dirtier as the finishers of P-R look on a rainy
day. Bart Wellens at the cycling cross WC this year looked really clean compared to that.

<http://www.team.malarenergi.se/probike/pics98/camenz.html>

Regards, Dieter

> On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 23:52:01 +1000, Jeff Jones wrote:
> >No, it's just my imagination. Whenever I think of Valkenburg '98, I think
of
> >cobbles. Not sure why.
>
> Too much Hoegaarde?

Quite the opposite!

Jeff (had to throw all the Pot Belge out of the fridge to make room for Beer)