Lance's Amazing New Expensive Carbon Frame Material

In article <[email protected]>, Cycle Guy <[email protected]> wrote:

> Trek must have some hot new special carbon frame material out that we haven't heard of yet. Why
> else do you think they would have a bike on Ebay selling for $16,032,998.15 (that would be over 16
> million Burger King Dollar special Whopper Jrs.)

God, bikes are cheap. A prewar Martin D45 guitar just went for $75,000 on eBay- and I am not sure if
it made the reserve.

"Cycle Guy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Trek must have some hot new special carbon frame material out that we haven't heard of yet. Why
> else do you think they would have a bike on Ebay selling for $16,032,998.15 (that would be over 16
> million Burger King Dollar special Whopper Jrs.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2715399935&category=7298

Could one of the EBay experts here explain what happened in the bidding process that took a $116
item to $16MM? When I click "bid history" all the amounts are blanked.

> "Cycle Guy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Trek must have some hot new special carbon frame material out that we haven't heard of yet. Why
> > else do you think they would have a bike on Ebay selling for $16,032,998.15 (that would be over
> > 16 million Burger King Dollar special Whopper Jrs.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2715399935&category=7298

"Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Look at the bidder's last two feedbacks.

Yes, but he seemed to have completed 61 other transactions before that. This whole thing is
confusing to me.

> Could one of the EBay experts here explain what happened in the bidding process that took a $116
> item to $16MM? When I click "bid history" all
the
> amounts are blanked.

The amounts only show when the auction has ended.

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2715399935

> "Harris" wrote:

> > Look at the bidder's last two feedbacks.

> Yes, but he seemed to have completed 61 other transactions before that. This whole thing is
> confusing to me.

I've posted something to rec.bicycles.marketplace about this, but it's probably worth posting here
as well so people know what to look out for.

There's a scam currently operating in eBay whereby the details of an item that has previously been
auctioned are stolen and used to create a new auction. This is as simple as performing a 'completed
items' search. Text and images are usually copied verbatim. As well as this Trek, the scammer had,
at time of writing, six other bikes 'for sale' in eBay France, and one in Italy.

http://tinyurl.com/74mt

or if that doesn't work, auction numbers

2715650209 2715625199 2715399935 2715398609 2715626336 2715625643 2715399136 2715882939

The auction currency is always British, but the bikes are said to be located in continental European
cities - Rome, Toulouse, Lyon, Perpignan, and lately Paris. Sellers all have zero or very low
feedback. When they have feedback, it's often from other 'zeros', or for very low cost items - up to
a few dollars.

If you consider 'cyclefreak's feedback, you'll note that he had sixty good transactions before
receiving negative feedback from 'frunzauscata' and 'uliutefute1', both of whom have auctioned items
from 'Paris, France'. 'Frunzauscata' was given positive feedback by 'celmaiizvor', who has zero
feedback, and sells from 'Paris, France'. Of the 14 bids on 'celmaiizvor's auction 2714211849, 12
were from new users with zero feedback ('rojpuppy', 'dgtlmurphy', and our friend 'frunzauscata') -
all of whom, I have little doubt, reside in 'Paris, France'.

'Cyclefreak' appears to have been burnt by our scammer, and in the absence of action from eBay, is
trying to spoil these scam auctions. I wish him/her good luck.

James Thomson

The current bid is:

GBP 1,550.00 (approx. US $2,485.11 )

Bob Denton Gulf Stream International Delray Beach, Florida www.sinkthestink.com Manufacturers of
Sink the Stink

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 21:06:54 -0600 "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2715399935&category=7298
>>

>Could one of the EBay experts here explain what happened in the bidding process that took a $116
>item to $16MM? When I click "bid history" all the amounts are blanked.

I didn't look at this until tonight after it sold for GBP 1550. Bid amounts don't show up until
after the bidding ends. There were 2 cancelled bids, both for the same amount of GBP 64, so that
is unusual. It's also unusual to see a bidding war like this between 2 new bidders both with
zero feedback.

I see no signs of huge bid amounts...?

-
Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA