Lance's Jersey

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Stan Lipnowski, Mar 9, 2003.

  1. Following the Vuelta a Murcia on the Graham Watson site (exceptional photography, my other interest)
    and I note that Lance Armstrong's jersey is ifferent than the other Posties'. At the bottom of his
    sleeve there are several multicolored stripes. What is the meaning of these stripes? Stan
    P.S. I never seem to see Fabs appear on that site??!!! :)

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Martin

    Jeff Martin Guest

    Those are the world champion stripes. You can only wear them on you jersey after you have won them.
    He won them in 93 I think at the road worlds in Norway. "Stan Lipnowski" <[email protected]>
    > Following the Vuelta a Murcia on the Graham Watson site (exceptional photography, my other
    > interest) and I note that Lance Armstrong's jersey
    is
    > ifferent than the other Posties'. At the bottom of his sleeve there are several multicolored
    > stripes. What is the meaning of these stripes? Stan
    > P.S. I never seem to see Fabs appear on that site??!!! :)

  3. I figured as such, but I didn't think they wore them "forever" Thanks Stan "Jeff Martin"
    > Those are the world champion stripes. You can only wear them on you
    jersey
    > after you have won them. He won them in 93 I think at the road worlds in Norway. "Stan Lipnowski"
    > > Following the Vuelta a Murcia on the Graham Watson site (exceptional photography, my other
    > > interest) and I note that Lance Armstrong's jersey
    > is
    > > ifferent than the other Posties'. At the bottom of his sleeve there are several multicolored
    > > stripes. What is the meaning of these stripes? Stan
    > > P.S. I never seem to see Fabs appear on that site??!!! :)

  4. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Stan Lipnowski" <[email protected]> wrote in news:muSaa.61221$7 [email protected]:
    > I figured as such, but I didn't think they wore them "forever"

    You wear the full world champion jersey (white with rainbow stripes around the chest) the year after
    you win the worlds. In years after that, you wear the stripes on your sleeves only.

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Stan Lipnowski" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Following the Vuelta a Murcia on the Graham Watson site (exceptional photography, my other
    > interest) and I note that Lance Armstrong's jersey is ifferent than the other Posties'. At the
    > bottom of his sleeve there are several multicolored stripes. What is the meaning of these stripes?

    All former World Champions (Lance won the 1993 Professional World Championship race, in Oslo) are
    allowed to wear the WC stripes on their sleeves for the rest of their career.

    --

    Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks at mac dot com aitch tee tea pea colon
    four word slash forward slash double ewe double you double yew dot veloworks dot com

  6. Brian Roth

    Brian Roth Guest

    "Stan Lipnowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Following the Vuelta a Murcia on the Graham Watson site (exceptional photography, my other
    > interest) and I note that Lance Armstrong's jersey is ifferent than the other Posties'. At the
    > bottom of his sleeve there are several multicolored stripes. What is the meaning of these
    > stripes? Stan
    > P.S. I never seem to see Fabs appear on that site??!!! :)

    Like others have said, these indicate he is a former World Champion (1993). The also often have the
    bands around the collar as well. Likewise, former national champions sometimes have the national
    colors on the collars and sleeves.....