Lance's shifter

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Zeen, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeen

Zeen Guest

I noticed in a recent Tour photo that Lance used a downtube shifter for his front chainring during a
    mountain stage. I had read that it was to save weight but I can't believe it saves that much weight
    even assuming he replaced his left STI shifter with a plain brake lever. Was weight savings the real
    reason for this? I suppose every gram counts.

Tags:

2. Bfd

Bfd Guest

Yup, its not ALOT of difference, but you do save weight using a dt shifter and regular brake lever
    over an STI lever.... "Zeen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I noticed in a recent Tour photo that Lance used a downtube shifter for
    his
    > front chainring during a mountain stage. I had read that it was to save weight but I can't believe
    > it saves that much weight even assuming he replaced his left STI shifter with a plain brake lever.
    > Was weight savings the real reason for this? I suppose every gram counts.

3. "Zeen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > As for the weight, I see Lance wears a watch too. How many grams is that?

What's your point? That he shouldn't wear a watch so he can use a heavier shift lever? If so,
    then how will he tell time? I don't understand the relationship between the watch and saving
    weight on the bike.

> That raises the old question of the impact of an additional ounce on the bike versus an additional
    > ounce on the rider.

Which is usually a silly question. The best answer to the question of whether one should lose weight
    on the bike and the body is lose it in both.

JT

--
    NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

4. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

> "Zeen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I noticed in a recent Tour photo that Lance used a downtube shifter for
    > his
    > > front chainring during a mountain stage. I had read that it was to save weight but I can't
    > > believe it saves that much weight even assuming he replaced his left STI shifter with a plain
    > > brake lever. Was weight savings the real reason for this? I suppose every gram
    counts.

"bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Yup, its not ALOT of difference, but you do save weight using a dt shifter and regular brake lever
    > over an STI lever....

That is true, but the Ergo-like improved reponse probably had a lot to do with it

--
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.