Lance's Shimano Pedals v. the rest - opinions?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tk, May 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tk

Tk Guest

I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies are ready to kill me. Any
    opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time ....? Thanks!

Tags:

2. Hawke

Hawke Guest

"TK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies
    are
    > ready to kill me. Any opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time
    > ....? Thanks!

Could be your technique.

Are you pulling up or are you using a scrapping motion like you should be?

Hawke

3. Tk

Tk Guest

Hawke, I thought it was a scraping motion. It happens on hard seated efforts (low cadence) uphill
    where I am staying in a big gear to try to keep the momentum and (you guessed it) lead my buddies.
    It also happens during seated sprints. I suspect you may be right and I'm going to pay better
    attention to technique next time. But I never had this problem until I switched Looks between my
    beater and racer. Both sets are old and worn since the previous set was a ceramic body that had
    developed a divot. Rather than invest in Looks again, I wanted to find out what the best new pedals
    were. I couldn't wait and ordered the Shimanos a few moments ago from a great shop named Westwood
    Cycle in northern New Jersey. I'll let you know how they work out (along w/ a new pair of Carnac
    Quartz'). Thanks, Tony

"Hawke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "TK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies
    > are
    > > ready to kill me. Any opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time ....?
    > > Thanks!
    >
    > Could be your technique.
    >
    > Are you pulling up or are you using a scrapping motion like you should be?
    >
    > Hawke

4. Ns>

Ns> Guest

Unless you just want new pedals, you know you can rebuild those Looks don't you? I had put new
    springs in mine and it stopped the pull out. Oldwarn cleats can do that as well. I changed to newer
    red look cleats (suspecting possibly that if I had more range I wouldn't pull out of my pedals). I
    did both and the problem was taken care of.

my2c, NS

5. Serge

Serge Guest

Both sets are old and worn
    > since the previous set was a ceramic body that had developed a divot. Rather than invest in Looks
    > again, I wanted to find out what the best new pedals were. I couldn't wait and ordered the
    > Shimanos a few moments ago from a great shop named Westwood Cycle in northern New Jersey. I'll let
    > you know how they work out (along w/ a new pair of Carnac Quartz'). Thanks, Tony
    >
    >
    > Try Speedplays. Floating motion feels wierd at first, but you'll appreciate
    it later. I had mine for 6 years and they are still working fine. I don't remember how many Look
    cleats I'd worn before. You'll never uncleat if you do not want to. I think they have new pedal
    w/limited float and trak(red)variety for sprinters. I've heard people criticizing them (usially
    strong sprinters), but never seen anybody getting another system after they get use to Speedplays.

6. aeklaw-<< I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies are ready to kill
    me. Any opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time ....?

If pulling out is an issue and you want a pedal that 'feels' like LOOK, look at Speedplay Zeros.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

7. "Serge" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Try Speedplays. Floating motion feels wierd at first, but you'll
    appreciate
    > it later. I had mine for 6 years and they are still working fine. I don't remember how many Look
    > cleats I'd worn before. You'll never uncleat if you do not want to. I think they have new pedal
    > w/limited float and trak(red)variety for sprinters. I've heard people criticizing them (usially
    > strong sprinters), but never seen anybody getting another system after they get use to Speedplays.

I second that. 3 years on my X2s, and still happy everytime I click in...

HB

8. Codeman42

Codeman42 Guest

I own a pair of the new Dura-Ace 7750 "Lance's" pedals and I recommend them highly over SPD, and
    Speedplays. Different pedals of course suit different riders - I don't like a lot of float. I

There's a good review of them in the tech area of velonews.com. I don't experience the lateral
    movement described in that review., however.

"TK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies are ready to kill me. Any
    > opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time ....? Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.