Lance's shoes

ed073

May 19, 2004
I've been following Lance's progress towards the Tour at the Tour du Languedoc-Roussillon and noticed something about his footwear.....does anyone else think his Nikes this year bear a striking resemblance to the 2004 Shimano Dura-Ace road shoe?

The buckle and velcro straps appear identical and apart from the colour and some perfunctory logos, Nike's poster boy could prefer another supplier....
Takes us back to the 80s when pros would stick to a shoe model through thick and thin and pay lip service to team sponsors products with some well placed logos.

I'm not a member of the Lance fan club. But I admire the man's guts... and b'jesus he can ride. I also like his (Nike's) shoes and but for two (or three) things, I would buy a pair. I couldn't ever wear a Texan flag on my rfoot (or anywhere esle). I have nothing against people from Texas but I ain't one. I couldn't wear the World Champ stripes on the other foot for the same reason.... I ain't the World Champion. And the most important... Nike don't make them for EEEE feet! If they did I may be tempted. Are you listening NIKE?

Originally posted by ed073
Takes us back to the 80s when pros would stick to a shoe model through thick and thin and pay lip service to team sponsors products with some well placed logos.

I think Lance has stuck by his sponsors because they stuck by him during his fight against cancer.

Originally posted by Dominic Sansom
I think Lance has stuck by his sponsors because they stuck by him during his fight against cancer.

Except for Cofidis who offered to pay a substantial salary despite having to shell out for another rider to replace him, and were thoroughly unreasonably treated by the angry Texan both at the time and in his book.

Originally posted by Roadie_scum
Except for Cofidis who offered to pay a substantial salary despite having to shell out for another rider to replace him, and were thoroughly unreasonably treated by the angry Texan both at the time and in his book.

Yes... maybe I should of said "Lance stuck by his sponsors that gave him everything he wanted during his fight against cancer. He didn't have much good to say about Cofidis... He thought they'd only come to see him to find out if he was going to die.

And we aren't all lucky enough to have a huge company like Oakley to bully (not a bad thing) medical insurance companies into paying for lapsed insurance. As I said I'm not a huge fan of Lance the person...

Wasn't this thread about shoes???

Originally posted by Dominic Sansom
Yes... maybe I should of said "Lance stuck by his sponsors that gave him everything he wanted during his fight against cancer. He didn't have much good to say about Cofidis... He thought they'd only come to see him to find out if he was going to die.

And we aren't all lucky enough to have a huge company like Oakley to bully (not a bad thing) medical insurance companies into paying for lapsed insurance. As I said I'm not a huge fan of Lance the person...

Wasn't this thread about shoes???

Originally......:D

Originally posted by Roadie_scum

Guy gets cancer and they drop him like a hot rock, I don't know how much love I would feel for them either, besides, can they sport a clean team??

Originally posted by ds0709
Guy gets cancer and they drop him like a hot rock, I don't know how much love I would feel for them either, besides, can they sport a clean team??

Next time I'm completely unable to fulfill the requirements of my job due to illness and my employer needs to hire someone else to cover me, I'll be pretty chuffed if I still end up getting paid a living wage. Cofidis offered Armstrong more than a living wage, which they weren't obliged to do, despite having to shell out for another rider. Dropped like a hot rock? More like completely unaware of and ungrateful for the privileges extended to him.

And as for the drugs... I don't know if Cofidis can run a clean team, but there's no evidence that the problem is within team management rather than from individual riders. Can US Postal sport a clean team? It's all petty speculation.