Lance's Tires

"Todd Kuzma" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> OK eagle eyes, what tires is Lance riding here:
> <http://www.velonews.com/images/details/4520.5461.f.jpg> There aren't many tires on the market
> today that have black tread and tan sidewalls (at least not many that get ridden by Tour
> contenders).

There aren't that many tubulars on the market that *don't* have a black tread and tan sidewalls,
are there?

Andy Coggan (who bought some Veloflex Record tubies in part for their beautiful gold/tan sidewalls)

In article <[email protected]>, Andy Coggan
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Todd Kuzma" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > OK eagle eyes, what tires is Lance riding here:
> > <http://www.velonews.com/images/details/4520.5461.f.jpg> There aren't many tires on the market
> > today that have black tread and tan sidewalls (at least not many that get ridden by Tour
> > contenders).
>
> There aren't that many tubulars on the market that *don't* have a black tread and tan sidewalls,
> are there?

Yep. Those look like almost every Italian or French/Thai sew-up. IIRC they use Hutchinson.

-WG

>OK eagle eyes, what tires is Lance riding here:

i'll go with hutchinsons, since they are the tire sponsors for postal.

gary

warren wrote:

> Yep. Those look like almost every Italian or French/Thai sew-up. IIRC they use Hutchinson.

In most "team bike" official photos, the bikes have an all-black tire. No tan sidewalls. Looking at
the pics on cyclingnews.com, it seems that Lance only uses the tan sidewall tires on mountain
stages. Otherwise they are all black.

Veloflex and Challenge (made by the former Clement factory in Thailand) have tan sidewalls. The
Hutchinsons I've seen have had black sidewalls. Conti's sidewalls are much darker. Vittoria doesn't
have any tan sidewall tubulars that I know of.

Todd Kuzma

John Everett wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:05:15 -0500, Todd Kuzma <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>OK eagle eyes, what tires is Lance riding here:
>><http://www.velonews.com/images/details/4520.5461.f.jpg>
>

> Don't know about the tires, but Lance sure has a huge handful of brake. ;-)
>

> jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

That is such a great picture. Look at the road in the foreground to see how long the lens is.

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:58:37 GMT, John Everett <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:05:15 -0500, Todd Kuzma <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>OK eagle eyes, what tires is Lance riding here:
>><http://www.velonews.com/images/details/4520.5461.f.jpg>

I'll guess, Hutchinson Carbon Comp USPS http://www.pricepoint.com/product1858.html

Poul Erik

--
== __o
Poul Erik Lindaa === _'\ <_ E-mail: [email protected]

"Poul Erik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:58:37 GMT, John Everett <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:05:15 -0500, Todd Kuzma <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>OK eagle eyes, what tires is Lance riding here:
> >><http://www.velonews.com/images/details/4520.5461.f.jpg>
>
> I'll guess, Hutchinson Carbon Comp USPS http://www.pricepoint.com/product1858.html
>
> Poul Erik
>
> --
> == __o
> Poul Erik Lindaa === _'\ <_ E-mail: [email protected]
> ==== (¤)/ (¤)

Did you even LOOK at the picture?

in article [email protected], Poul Erik at [email protected] wrote on
7/16/03 5:37 PM:

> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:58:37 GMT, John Everett <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:05:15 -0500, Todd Kuzma <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> OK eagle eyes, what tires is Lance riding here:
>>> <http://www.velonews.com/images/details/4520.5461.f.jpg>
>
> I'll guess, Hutchinson Carbon Comp USPS http://www.pricepoint.com/product1858.html

In the mountain stages, Lance's tires have had a black tread and tan sidewalls. Not what is shown in
your link.

Todd Kuzma Heron Bicycles Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery LaSalle, IL http://www.heronbicycles.com/
http://www.tullios.com/

Poul Erik wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:58:37 GMT, John Everett <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 15:05:15 -0500, Todd Kuzma <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> OK eagle eyes, what tires is Lance riding here:
>>> <http://www.velonews.com/images/details/4520.5461.f.jpg>
>
> I'll guess, Hutchinson Carbon Comp USPS http://www.pricepoint.com/product1858.html
>
> Poul Erik

I seriously doubt that he'll use shitty tires like those. I recently had a pair exchanged after 500
km because they were all cut up. Then I almost immediately wore out my rear tire braking hard att a
very slow speed ( like 2 mph) after another 100 km. The Hutchinsson representative did not replace
this tire, staing that they are not supposed to hold up for braking. Well I like to use the brakes
every now and then so I'll never buy another Hutchinsson tire again. Lance wouldn't make it down a
single decent with **** like that on his wheels.

--
Perre