Lance's TT abilities.................................????

Charles Hizark

Guest
Lance's TT abilities.................................????

I was wondering if anyone knows if Lance is getting slower in the TT...??? Or is the field just
improving......?? I heard recently that Lance is working on a new areo position so Lance realizes
there is room for improvement.

Charles Hizark wrote:
> Lance is working on a new areo position so Lance realizes there is room for improvement.

Lance has apparently been working too hard on his areola position.

Well he is getting older and looks fatter this year. There is speculation that his TT power is ~15W
down on what is was a couple of years ago and he is trying to compensate for this by trying changes
that reduce his aero drag. It's interesting to note his desire to try competitive TTs early in the
year and the use of an SRM power metre during the effort - obviously wants to check things that you
cant measure in a lab; so maybe he's not as confident as in previous years.

news:<[email protected]>...

mr60percent wrote:
> It's interesting to note his desire to try competitive TTs early in the year and the use of an SRM
> power metre during the effort [...] so maybe he's not as confident as in previous
years.

He has used an SRM in the early part of the season for several years (like many others). I don't
think it's a particularly good clue about confidence or the lack of confidence; I think seeing one
on a bike usually means that the rider doesn't think of that race as an "A" race.

Charles Hizark wrote:
> Lance's TT abilities.................................????
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows if Lance is getting slower in the TT...??? Or is the field just
> improving......??

Yes.

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Charles Hizark wrote:
> > Lance's TT abilities.................................????
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone knows if Lance is getting slower in the TT...??? Or is the field just
> > improving......??
> >
> Yes.
Clarification ?? Yes to both questions...??

Originally posted by Charles Hizark
Lance's TT abilities.................................????

I was wondering if anyone knows if Lance is getting slower in the TT...??? Or is the field just
improving......?? I heard recently that Lance is working on a new areo position so Lance realizes
there is room for improvement.

Yes, and it's similar to Ullrich's position. Basically they lowered his saddle slightly there by allow them to lower the front end as well. (Slightly more aerodynamic, but at the cost of a few watts of power output?!?)

Pix here: http://www.lancearmstrong.com/lance/online2.nsf/html/2004ttbike

Cipher <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<kTc%[email protected]>...
> Charles Hizark wrote:
> > Lance's TT abilities.................................???? I was wondering if anyone knows if
> > Lance is getting slower in the TT...??? Or is the field just improving......?? I heard
> > recently that Lance is working on a new areo position so Lance realizes there is room for
> > improvement.
>

> Yes, and it's similar to Ullrich's position. Basically they lowered his saddle slightly there by
> allow them to lower the front end as well. (Slightly more aerodynamic, but at the cost of a few
> watts of power output?!?)

reduced output......???
> Pix here: http://www.lancearmstrong.com/lance/online2.nsf/html/2004ttbike
>

> --

So if we look at Ullrich's TT position we are going to see a low seat? If i remember from the pics
last year he had a super high seatpost, compared to those like Armstrong. This new position for
Lance doesn't look all that drastic, looks like his hands are tilted forward a little bit more, and
not too much else, maybe they dropped his seat to get lower, but if they did it wasn't by much.
Lance has always been at the front of the tech stuff. He has spent how much on wind tunnel time? I
would think of it as irresponsible if he was to stop looking for more aero stuff/positioning and say
"well this is good enough it worked last year"