Lance's Yellow Shoes in Paris

chrispopovic

Feb 28, 2004
Just got my new Sports Illustrated today and was reading the article on Lance. SI had a great picture of the Postal team all lined up in Paris. Lance was sporting a pair of yellow, really yellow, tennis shoes. Anyone know where I can get a pair of these dorky kicks? They're so hideous I have got to get a pair.

th
chrispopovic said:
Just got my new Sports Illustrated today and was reading the article on Lance. SI had a great picture of the Postal team all lined up in Paris. Lance was sporting a pair of yellow, really yellow, tennis shoes. Anyone know where I can get a pair of these dorky kicks? They're so hideous I have got to get a pair.
i dont know
they look a bit like some type of nike

chrispopovic said:

Tennis shoes? They look like some kind of one-off cycling shoes to me. Anyway, I'm not terribly concerned with Armstrong's footwear. Perhaps you should get an opinion from Mario Cipollini?

:)

chrispopovic said:
Just got my new Sports Illustrated today and was reading the article on Lance. SI had a great picture of the Postal team all lined up in Paris. Lance was sporting a pair of yellow, really yellow, tennis shoes. Anyone know where I can get a pair of these dorky kicks? They're so hideous I have got to get a pair.[/QUOTE
i have to say i think they look horrible. lance must be getting paid some huge amount of money to wear those things. :eek:

I didn't notice the yellow spokes. Hey if I was winning TDF #6, I'd wear the yellow shoes, gold helment, etc. too. I think they're cool.

Nike sponsors LA. It's very probable that his shoes were 1-offs. That said, if Nike thinks they can market those shoes and make some money, you'd probably find them on Nike's website. Try nike.com, or I think there's a site called wearyellow.com, perhaps a link from the nike cycling page?

I'm sure they must be Nikes. Do you think that a company paying him that much money would allow him to wear anything else on his feet following his record-setting 6th TdF victory? I doubt it! I thought that they said during the race that his spokes were gold. They sure look yellow in that photo though.

remember guys, lance has this thing with yellow (his cancer foundation and wear yellow)
so i'm sure that anything that can be yellow on his bike, will be yellow.

here is a quote from lance:

Yellow wakes me up in the morning. Yellow gets me on the bike every day. Yellow has taught me the true meaning of sacrifice. Yellow makes me suffer. Yellow is the reason I'm here.

i'm sure if his shoes could've been "blue" for USPS, it would've :) but ya.:D

si2k2000 said:
I know you are talking about the trainers but has anyone seen these. I havent seen him wear them before.

GREAT LINK! However, $300 for those is going to be really hard to get past my wife. I dug around on the Nike site and they're no where to be found. The NikeID site has some promising mixes you can put together but nothing pure yellow like Lance is sporting. A friend of a friend knows someone at Nike that's going to look into it for me. Hopefully they'll hit the website soon.

si2k2000 said:
I know you are talking about the trainers but has anyone seen these. I havent seen him wear them before.
He did wear the black ones... there was an article on cyclingnews about him not wearing the rainbow stripes (as a former world champion) on his sleves like the other riders. The sense was that he was too cool to wear the rainbow stripes or something. But then someone got a shot of the rainbow stripes on his shoes, which calmed everyone down a bit.

Then they started griping about his black socks....

very strange what people will complain about.

politico said:
He did wear the black ones... there was an article on cyclingnews about him not wearing the rainbow stripes (as a former world champion) on his sleves like the other riders. The sense was that he was too cool to wear the rainbow stripes or something. But then someone got a shot of the rainbow stripes on his shoes, which calmed everyone down a bit.

Then they started griping about his black socks....

very strange what people will complain about.

not to take it too far off topic, but I thought he didn'twear the jersey to he would be 'unified' with his team...

hey, they may look like 'rubbers' but if I'm getting paid to wear them, no complaints here.

I'm new to cycling. How did the tradition of the yellow jersey start and why is it yellow?

meehs said:
I'm sure they must be Nikes. Do you think that a company paying him that much money would allow him to wear anything else on his feet following his record-setting 6th TdF victory? I doubt it! I thought that they said during the race that his spokes were gold. They sure look yellow in that photo though.
Gold spokes would not last 2 seconds - the spokes & the words Live Strong were gold plated - Glad I missed the shoes during the race:)

chrispopovic said:
GREAT LINK! However, $300 for those is going to be really hard to get past my wife. I dug around on the Nike site and they're no where to be found. The NikeID site has some promising mixes you can put together but nothing pure yellow like Lance is sporting. A friend of a friend knows someone at Nike that's going to look into it for me. Hopefully they'll hit the website soon.
For those that think it is bad wearing full Team kits - can you imagine the grief that will occor wearing yellow shoes like that - wait I need to recall this before the flame wars start :p

mikdes said:
I'm new to cycling. How did the tradition of the yellow jersey start and why is it yellow?

French journalist, Pierre Gifford, used organizing a race known as Paris-Brest-Paris to increase circulation of the sports daily, Le Petit Journal. He was so successful that employees of a rival publication, L'Auto decided to organize their own race. The two employees involved were, Henri Desgrange and Geo Lefevre. As a result, July 1, 1903, saw the first stage of the very first Tour de France. Though Lefevre is said to have spawned the idea, Henri Desgrange is considered to be the race founder and he continued to nurture interest in the race by introducing innovations such as the mountains in 1905 and the Maillot Jaune in 1919. The color yellow was chosen for the leader's jersey to match the color of the paper on which the publication L'Auto was printed. In recognition, the initials "H.D." appeared on the yellow jersey from 1919 to 1983.

SLS said:
Gold spokes would not last 2 seconds - the spokes & the words Live Strong were gold plated - Glad I missed the shoes during the race:)

I didn't mean to imply that the spokes were actually made of gold (now that would be an expensive wheelset!). Just gold in color. I assume they're gold anodized.

He didn't actually wear the yellow shoes (the ones in the photo) in the race. They're just some yellow tennis shoes that he put on afterward.

My opinion? The only time that anyone should ever wear those shoes is if they've just won their sixth Tour de France. :D