Land of Milk and Honey

Vo2

Aug 11, 2001
"The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) has estimated that the planned two new regional television services could cost the state up to R500-million a year.
According to the recently promulgated Telecommunications Act, a northern region service will broadcast primarily in Setswana, Sesotho, Sepedi, Zitsonga and Tshivenda.
The southern region television service will feature programmes in Xhosa, Zulu, Setswana, Swati, Afrikaans and Ndebele. The channels will be SABC subsidiaries."

Puhleez correct me if I'm wrong, but can't they rather take the money and spend it on something more constructive, like upgrading our f&^%ing potholed 4x4 trails we encounter on our way to work every day, or maybe come up with some ideas to decrease the 40% unemployment figure our country suffers from? :mad:

Originally posted by Vo2
Puhleez correct me if I'm wrong, but can't they rather take the money and spend it on something more constructive, like upgrading our f&^%ing potholed 4x4 trails we encounter on our way to work every day, or maybe come up with some ideas to decrease the 40% unemployment figure our country suffers from? :mad:

Hear, hear.....I second that!!!

It is nice to see that the U.S. does not have a monopoly on arrogant, self-centered, tone-deaf politicians.

I bet that the TV stations will make them feel better about themselves. And, as to the roads, what do you want to bet the politicians either have drivers or don't have to travel on bad roads.

Arrogant SOBs!

Here in OR we have one of the higher unemployment rates in the US, the vast majority of our non-timber industry is in shambles or gone, our government services have been opporating on an "emergency" approval budget for 3 months with no final budget in sight and the legislature just approved an income tax surcharge earmarked for funding the possibility of bringing the defunked Montreal Expos to the state! No corporate sponsors want to put their money on it, but the state thinks it's such a good deal for the "state" that everyone gets to pay for it, but the team is just for Portland. Our schools have cut 10-15 days off their schedule to save dough, and we chase 3rd rate minor league teams? Amazing. Makes me completely ashamed to be a state employee. Simply amazing.

K.

Originally posted by ireman_1
Here in OR we have one of the higher unemployment rates in the US, the vast majority of our non-timber industry is in shambles or gone, our government services have been opporating on an "emergency" approval budget for 3 months with no final budget in sight and the legislature just approved an income tax surcharge earmarked for funding the possibility of bringing the defunked Montreal Expos to the state! No corporate sponsors want to put their money on it, but the state thinks it's such a good deal for the "state" that everyone gets to pay for it, but the team is just for Portland. Our schools have cut 10-15 days off their schedule to save dough, and we chase 3rd rate minor league teams? Amazing. Makes me completely ashamed to be a state employee. Simply amazing. .K.

That is what almost all politicians are about - spending other people's money. If they had to spend their own, I bet they would spend a whole lot less.

I am always struck by the number of people who complain about the high taxes, rotten services, and arrogant politicians, but continue to vote the same crooks back into office year after year. Unfortunately, there are enough stupid voters to keep the arrogant SOBs in office.

True, babbar, sadly very true (the part about the stupid voters and the whole SOB thing!). It's always each side (that majoritively being Republican v. Democrat) blaming the other, yet neither one has been very effective at increasing the quality of life or being just. I better shut up or I'll never stop. Hang in there! Let's ride.

K.

Originally posted by ireman_1
Let's ride.K.

Perhaps if we could get the politicians to ride more, they would spend less and be a lot friendlier to everyone.

I don't know. I ride a bit and I'm generally pretty crabby! ;-(

Just kidding. I would love to see Ted Kennedy on a $5000 Seven crashing down some hill destroying every decent thing in his path. Sort of like a day in congress for him or a night on the town. Have fun.

K.

Originally posted by Vo2
"The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) has estimated that the planned two new regional television services could cost the state up to R500-million a year.
According to the recently promulgated Telecommunications Act, a northern region service will broadcast primarily in Setswana, Sesotho, Sepedi, Zitsonga and Tshivenda.
The southern region television service will feature programmes in Xhosa, Zulu, Setswana, Swati, Afrikaans and Ndebele. The channels will be SABC subsidiaries."

With the number of AIDS cases in South Afrika (3 out of 5), I would think the money would be better spent on health care:rolleyes: