land speed record for dummies...

hey folks! long time listener,first time caller. sept 07 your group
discussed demi-fond(motor pacing) I'm going to a salt lake speed meet
in australia in march.I'm a fit,crazy cyclist, and i'm taking a couple
of bikes, one fixed gear & one freewheel... and a pacing vehicle.
willing to test some theories in exchange for some info regards same.
not v net savvy, you guys seem to know a lot of stuff.anyone want to
help?

[email protected] wrote:
> hey folks! long time listener,first time caller. sept 07 your group
> discussed demi-fond(motor pacing) I'm going to a salt lake speed meet
> in australia in march.I'm a fit,crazy cyclist, and i'm taking a couple
> of bikes, one fixed gear & one freewheel... and a pacing vehicle.
> willing to test some theories in exchange for some info regards same.
> not v net savvy, you guys seem to know a lot of stuff.anyone want to
> help?

A word of caution. Do not report any speeds attained while motor-pacing
to this newsgroup that can not be independently verified, or
insinuations may be made that you are less than truthful.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

On Feb 1, 3:46 am, [email protected] wrote:
> hey folks! long time listener,first time caller. sept 07 your group
> discussed demi-fond(motor pacing) I'm going to a salt lake speed meet
> in australia in march.I'm a fit,crazy cyclist, and i'm taking a couple
> of bikes, one fixed gear & one freewheel... and a pacing vehicle.
> willing to test some theories in exchange for some info regards same.
> not v net savvy, you guys seem to know a lot of stuff.anyone want to
> help?

What theories? If you have a motorized vehicle pushing air aside for
you, it's just like riding rollers. You're more likely to break
something if you fall off, though. Just ask Fred Rompelberg:
http://www.fredrompelberg.com/en/html/algemeen/fredrompelberg/record.asp

Jeff

Jeff Wills wrote:
> On Feb 1, 3:46 am, [email protected] wrote:
>> hey folks! long time listener,first time caller. sept 07 your group
>> discussed demi-fond(motor pacing) I'm going to a salt lake speed meet
>> in australia in march.I'm a fit,crazy cyclist, and i'm taking a couple
>> of bikes, one fixed gear & one freewheel... and a pacing vehicle.
>> willing to test some theories in exchange for some info regards same.
>> not v net savvy, you guys seem to know a lot of stuff.anyone want to
>> help?

> What theories? If you have a motorized vehicle pushing air aside for
> you, it's just like riding rollers. You're more likely to break
> something if you fall off, though....

Well, some here seem to have a problem with the concept of high speeds
being obtained by motor pacing.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

In article
<[email protected]>,
JeffWills <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Feb 1, 3:46 am, [email protected] wrote:
> > hey folks! long time listener,first time caller. sept 07 your group
> > discussed demi-fond(motor pacing) I'm going to a salt lake speed meet
> > in australia in march.I'm a fit,crazy cyclist, and i'm taking a couple
> > of bikes, one fixed gear & one freewheel... and a pacing vehicle.
> > willing to test some theories in exchange for some info regards same.
> > not v net savvy, you guys seem to know a lot of stuff.anyone want to
> > help?

> What theories? If you have a motorized vehicle pushing air aside for
> you, it's just like riding rollers. You're more likely to break
> something if you fall off, though. Just ask Fred Rompelberg:
> http://www.fredrompelberg.com/en/html/algemeen/fredrompelberg/record.asp
>
> Jeff

Note to self: Europeans use commas instead of decimal points. When I
first saw the page I thought "That's like Mach 200! On a bicycle?" As
Emily Latella would say, "Never mind..."

On Feb 1, 7:24 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > hey folks! long time listener,first time caller. sept 07 your group
> > discussed demi-fond(motor pacing) I'm going to a salt lake speed meet
> > in australia in march.I'm a fit,crazy cyclist, and i'm taking a couple
> > of bikes, one fixed gear & one freewheel... and a pacing vehicle.
> > willing to test some theories in exchange for some info regards same.
> > not v net savvy, you guys seem to know a lot of stuff.anyone want to
> > help?

> A word of caution. Do not report any speeds attained while motor-pacing
> to this newsgroup that can not be independently verified, or
> insinuations may be made that you are less than truthful.

Let's clarify, OK?

Don't report any motor pacing speeds, while purposely omitting the
fact that you were actually motor pacing. If you do, you probably
will be accused of being less than truthful - and, of course, that
accusation will be correct.

- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] aka Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On Feb 1, 7:24 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> hey folks! long time listener,first time caller. sept 07 your group
>>> discussed demi-fond(motor pacing) I'm going to a salt lake speed meet
>>> in australia in march.I'm a fit,crazy cyclist, and i'm taking a couple
>>> of bikes, one fixed gear & one freewheel... and a pacing vehicle.
>>> willing to test some theories in exchange for some info regards same.
>>> not v net savvy, you guys seem to know a lot of stuff.anyone want to
>>> help?
>> >

>> A word of caution. Do not report any speeds attained while motor-pacing
>> to this newsgroup that can not be independently verified, or
>> insinuations may be made that you are less than truthful.

> Let's clarify, OK?
>
> Don't report any motor pacing speeds, while purposely omitting the
> fact that you were actually motor pacing. If you do, you probably
> will be accused of being less than truthful - and, of course, that
> accusation will be correct.

However, even when the added information about motor pacing is
presented, the same detractors will still consider the report to be a
lie, while denying that they were accusing anyone of lying.

On Feb 2, 5:37 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On Feb 1, 7:24 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > hey folks! long time listener,first time caller. sept 07 your group
> > > discussed demi-fond(motor pacing) I'm going to a salt lake speed meet
> > > in australia in march.I'm a fit,crazy cyclist, and i'm taking a couple
> > > of bikes, one fixed gear & one freewheel... and a pacing vehicle.
> > > willing to test some theories in exchange for some info regards same.
> > > not v net savvy, you guys seem to know a lot of stuff.anyone want to
> > > help?

> > A word of caution. Do not report any speeds attained while motor-pacing
> > to this newsgroup that can not be independently verified, or
> > insinuations may be made that you are less than truthful.

> Let's clarify, OK?
>
> Don't report any motor pacing speeds, while purposely omitting the
> fact that you were actually motor pacing.  If you do, you probably
> will be accused of being less than truthful - and, of course, that
> accusation will be correct.
>
> - Frank Krygowski

We're overrun with zero-achievement fatarse pettyfoggers like Carl
Fogel of the Spurious Precision and his Official No 2 Wannabe
Rottweiler Frank Krygowski. They and their hangers-on, collectively
the Krygo-Fogel Begrudgers. try to raise themselves out of the mire of
being mere oxygen-wasters by denigrating anyone who does anything, no
matter how modest. If you actually succeed in breaking the record,
they will go into hysterical overdrive to "prove" you couldn't
possibly have done it, their wee willies wriggling dementedly with the
excitement of pulling down a real man to their own level of fatuous
uselessness. Because that's what it is about: this useless trash can
feel like men only by tearing down someone else's achievement, which
in their twisted heads makes their dicks bigger than that of the
achiever.

Notice too that this lying scum of schoolyard bullies try to assert
their dominance by "enforcing" their "rules" of how you can tell the
story, as the crude Krygowski demonstrates. But you can safely ignore
these clowns; just the scale of your ambition puts you entirely beyond
the reach of their petty envy. In fact, I'd be grateful if you would
tell the story when you come back from the salt pans in the vaguest
possible terms, reserving the hard facts for a drip of information
over a week or so, as I would welcome another opportunity to
illuminate their emptiness and pettiness -- and their uselessness.

****
While I'm about it, a couple of tips on the actual record attempt,
simple stuff you probably already know but always worth repeating:

You must absolutely walk the track, every inch of it, yourself as
closely before the attempt as the organizers will allow. Explain to
them that on a bicycle with only two wheels you are a magnitude more
likely to come a cropper over even a small disturbance underfoot than
a car.

Decide beforehand that you will let the record go if conditions for
the return run are not perfect; what matters is not the speed of the
first run and how temptingly close the record is but the danger of the
second run in less than ideal conditions. There is always another year
and another attempt, and in a few months or a year your experience can
be brought into play as it cannot in the heat of an instant decision.

Good luck.

Andre Jute
The thrill of speed

In article
<89b8e70b-6d0c-491b-900d-1894fba133af@s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Feb 2, 5:37 am, [email protected] wrote:

> > Let's clarify, OK?
> >
> > Don't report any motor pacing speeds, while purposely omitting the
> > fact that you were actually motor pacing.  If you do, you probably
> > will be accused of being less than truthful - and, of course, that
> > accusation will be correct.
> >
> > - Frank Krygowski

> We're overrun with zero-achievement fatarse pettyfoggers like Carl
> Fogel of the Spurious Precision and his Official No 2 Wannabe
> Rottweiler Frank Krygowski. They and their hangers-on, collectively
> the Krygo-Fogel Begrudgers.

Andre! What you lack in sanity and good manners you more than make up in
creativity!

"Carl Fogel of the Spurious Precision," A turn of phrase we can all
quietly smile at.

Signed,
Ryan Cousineau of the Krygo-Fogel Begrudger Brigade

On Feb 2, 5:39 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau of the Krygo-Fogel Begrudger Brigade

Huh? You want to make up a party with my googlebug golem, Carl "Gofer"
Fogel, and my temple dog, Frank "Fetch" Kryogowski, and call yourself
the Red Brigades?

Man, I'm not so big on formal manners, but we don't ask the help to
sit down and we don't feed other people's dogs. The first leads to
impertinence and the second is too close to wife-stealing, almost up
there with the theft of a good cook.

Andre Jute
My cat and I are not amused

In article
<925bb42e-7400-4ecd-a676-24abcceacb2e@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Feb 2, 5:39 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Ryan Cousineau of the Krygo-Fogel Begrudger Brigade

> Huh? You want to make up a party with my googlebug golem, Carl "Gofer"
> Fogel, and my temple dog, Frank "Fetch" Kryogowski, and call yourself
> the Red Brigades?

Yes Andre. Because along with their many vices, they share a common
virtue: they don't turn into lunatics when they start typing Usenet
posts.

So valuable, so rare.

> Man, I'm not so big on formal manners, but we don't ask the help to
> sit down and we don't feed other people's dogs. The first leads to
> impertinence and the second is too close to wife-stealing, almost up
> there with the theft of a good cook.

Andre, you were never asked to do anything more than explain the
circumstances of some extraordinary claims. If that gets your britches
sufficiently twisted to begin a running fit of name-calling (or worse)
here, well, you'd better clear your schedule and grab your thesaurus,
because you've got a lot of angry posts ahead of you.

But you know, the biggest journey starts with a single step,

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In article
> <925bb42e-7400-4ecd-a676-24abcceacb2e@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
> Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 2, 5:39 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Ryan Cousineau of the Krygo-Fogel Begrudger Brigade

>> Huh? You want to make up a party with my googlebug golem, Carl "Gofer"
>> Fogel, and my temple dog, Frank "Fetch" Kryogowski, and call yourself
>> the Red Brigades?

> Yes Andre. Because along with their many vices, they share a common
> virtue: they don't turn into lunatics when they start typing Usenet
> posts.
>
> So valuable, so rare.
>
>> Man, I'm not so big on formal manners, but we don't ask the help to
>> sit down and we don't feed other people's dogs. The first leads to
>> impertinence and the second is too close to wife-stealing, almost up
>> there with the theft of a good cook.

> Andre, you were never asked to do anything more than explain the
> circumstances of some extraordinary claims.

Nothing more? It is absolutely clear that Mr. Fogel was insinuating that
Mr. Jute was lying. It would not be the first, or even the second time
Mr. Fogel has made false accusations of lying.

> If that gets your britches
> sufficiently twisted to begin a running fit of name-calling (or worse)
> here, well, you'd better clear your schedule and grab your thesaurus,
> because you've got a lot of angry posts ahead of you.
>
> But you know, the biggest journey starts with a single step,

Like seeing the less pleasant sides of people behind the veneer of false
charm?

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> > In article
> > <925bb42e-7400-4ecd-a676-24abcceacb2e@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
> > Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Huh? You want to make up a party with my googlebug golem, Carl "Gofer"
> >> Fogel, and my temple dog, Frank "Fetch" Kryogowski, and call yourself
> >> the Red Brigades?

> > Yes Andre. Because along with their many vices, they share a common
> > virtue: they don't turn into lunatics when they start typing Usenet
> > posts.
> >
> > So valuable, so rare.
> >
> >> Man, I'm not so big on formal manners, but we don't ask the help to
> >> sit down and we don't feed other people's dogs. The first leads to
> >> impertinence and the second is too close to wife-stealing, almost up
> >> there with the theft of a good cook.

> > Andre, you were never asked to do anything more than explain the
> > circumstances of some extraordinary claims.
> >

> Nothing more? It is absolutely clear that Mr. Fogel was insinuating that
> Mr. Jute was lying. It would not be the first, or even the second time
> Mr. Fogel has made false accusations of lying.

Oh for heaven's sake. You know what? If you post something that appears,
in the obvious cases, to violate what is physically possible, yeah, you
might get suspected of lying.

Also, who cares. People who don't want to get accused of lying shouldn't
post on Usenet. People with thin skins should avoid posting on Usenet.

Heck, I probably shouldn't post on Usenet, because I rise to bait like
this. Right now, I am re-reminded that I have long thought that the
smartest person ever to visit this forum was Mark Hickey.

You know when I started thinking that? The day he decided to leave.

Dear rbt, why can't I quit you?

Back to my point, Andre's most interesting contribution to rbt so far
has been his creative writing. His least interesting contribution has
been his hobby of tilting at windmills he insists are named "Carl."

But I guess it's cheaper than therapy.

> > If that gets your britches
> > sufficiently twisted to begin a running fit of name-calling (or worse)
> > here, well, you'd better clear your schedule and grab your thesaurus,
> > because you've got a lot of angry posts ahead of you.
> >
> > But you know, the biggest journey starts with a single step,
> >

> Like seeing the less pleasant sides of people behind the veneer of false
> charm?

Oh yeah, Tom. Carl's such an angry monster. Me too! Angry angry! Grr!
Watch me scare people with my pointed posts and Grade 6 vocab! Graaar!
I'm unpleasant! I make "therapy" jokes about people because they act
nutty on Usenet! I suggest people explain extraordinary theories and
claims! So very unpleasant! I can totally see how Carl's attempts to
question things, do actual tests, and pore through research texts could
totally annoy people here.

No, wait, I can't, except that I have to accept that there's a lot of
people who are either taking Usenet too seriously, take themselves too
seriously, or aren't used to being asked questions by apparently nice
people.

If your definition of "less pleasant" is veiled, inquisitive suggestions
that there's something odd about a story posted in rbt, then I'm not
sure how you ever survived grade school. Because I gotta tell you, on an
unpleasantness scale of 1 (Roger Hargreaves' Mr. Happy*) to 10 (Stalin),
Carl's somewhere around a 3. He's pleasant enough to get a job at the
Build-A-Bear Workshop*.

It's at this point I should probably make some sort of ObBike section
like I usually try to do, and here it is:

Anyone had any good experiences with the Exustar cold-weather high-top
boots? Or, similarly, the various Shimano models? I'm realizing that
either boot is not much more expensive than a set of booties, which
might make them good choices for my winter madness. I'm especially
interested in performance during classic Vancouver conditions: 3 hours
of riding in 3C drizzle.

Now, back to my not-very-bicycling silliness...where was I?

Oh yes, final thoughts.

The reason I'm writing this is mainly because I have seen before the
case of clever people who post stuff I like reading getting driven off
of online fora by louder or angrier people, or people who simply had
more time on their hands, for no other reason than not wanting to put up
with the silliness anymore.

I've thought about this carefully, done a little reading, contemplated
the various contributions of the people in recent discussions, and,
well, while it's not my place to actually pass out judgments that have
any strength, I'd point out to Mr. Jute that his signal/noise ratio is
rather low, and his fly-off-the-handle-for-no-good-reason rating (IMHO)
is pretty severely high, even in this group with no small number of thin
skins.

Do you remember, Tom, why Andre got so mad? It was, as far as I can
tell, basically two lines by Carl:

"I'm not surprised that you got no real answer beyond that vague
tarmacadam farm lane that only one farmer uses, continent
unspecified...etc"

"And I'd still be pleased to find that my skepticism is wrong and
that there is a paved farm lane long enough and steep enough for that
kind of bike to do well over 100 kmh."

I mean, wow. With criticism like that, one can certainly see how Carl
got his reputation for the veiled sneer, the cruel cut, and manners that
would horrify the prettiest clique of girls at Beverly Hills High School.

But you know, I'm sorta being sarcastic now.

I guess Andre is entertaining after a fashion, but please: I actually
had to read back stuff in previous threads largely because I trust you
as a semi-reliable source of opinions.

I'm not sure why you're carrying water for Andre, but you know, I guess
it's a hobby.

As for Andre, I can only direct you to the work of Gorilla Magilla in
rbr as something to aspire to. He really knows how to work a crowd.

Share & Enjoy,

* <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4858304.stm>

**Those employees are seriously perky and pleasant. I know there is a
strong element of true-believer self-selection in the hiring process,
but my experiences there have been uniformly impressive on the
enthusiastic-and-happy scale. I could see where it would be downright
frightening to anyone of a naturally suspicious mindset, as even I found
it slightly unnerving, and I like happy people!

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 23:35:02 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>> In article
>> <925bb42e-7400-4ecd-a676-24abcceacb2e@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
>> Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Huh? You want to make up a party with my googlebug golem, Carl "Gofer"
>>> Fogel, and my temple dog, Frank "Fetch" Kryogowski, and call yourself
>>> the Red Brigades?

>> Yes Andre. Because along with their many vices, they share a common
>> virtue: they don't turn into lunatics when they start typing Usenet
>> posts.
>>
>> So valuable, so rare.
>>
>>> Man, I'm not so big on formal manners, but we don't ask the help to
>>> sit down and we don't feed other people's dogs. The first leads to
>>> impertinence and the second is too close to wife-stealing, almost up
>>> there with the theft of a good cook.

>> Andre, you were never asked to do anything more than explain the
>> circumstances of some extraordinary claims.
> >

> Nothing more? It is absolutely clear that Mr. Fogel was insinuating that
> Mr. Jute was lying. It would not be the first, or even the second time
> Mr. Fogel has made false accusations of lying.

Nor, if true, would it be the only lie than Andre Jute has told on this
newgroup.

J. Taylor wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 23:35:02 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:
>
>> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>>> In article
>>> <925bb42e-7400-4ecd-a676-24abcceacb2e@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,

>>> Yes Andre. Because along with their many vices, they share a common
>>> virtue: they don't turn into lunatics when they start typing Usenet
>>> posts.
>>>
>>> So valuable, so rare.

>>> Andre, you were never asked to do anything more than explain the
>>> circumstances of some extraordinary claims.
>> >

>> Nothing more? It is absolutely clear that Mr. Fogel was insinuating that
>> Mr. Jute was lying. It would not be the first, or even the second time
>> Mr. Fogel has made false accusations of lying.
>>

> Nor, if true, would it be the only lie than Andre Jute has told on this
> newgroup.

If it is true, how can it also be a lie?

Tom Sherman wrote:

> I do not see how a speed of approximately 105 kph while drafting a cube
> van is so hard to believe.

Drafting (not towed) on such a bike at a speed of 105 kph behind a cube
van is very very hard to believe IMO.

Lou

Lou Holtman wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>
>> I do not see how a speed of approximately 105 kph while drafting a
>> cube van is so hard to believe.

> Drafting (not towed) on such a bike at a speed of 105 kph behind a cube
> van is very very hard to believe IMO.

Not with the combination of the large low pressure area created behind
the cube van combined with a downhill road.

Less believable is the contention that certain other people were not
implying Mr. Jute was lying, before the full story was posted.

Lou Holtman wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>
>> I do not see how a speed of approximately 105 kph while drafting a
>> cube van is so hard to believe.

> Drafting (not towed) on such a bike at a speed of 105 kph behind a
> cube van is very very hard to believe IMO.

Don't pro cyclists often exceed 65 mph on some descents? Even us hackers
can get close to that given the right conditions.

It wouldn't be the first time that Carl accused someone unjustly and then
absolutely refused to even acknowledge much less retract it. (A certain
"Alan Braggins" comes to mind.)

BS (killing time...obviously)

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Lou Holtman wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:
>>
>>> I do not see how a speed of approximately 105 kph while drafting a
>>> cube van is so hard to believe.

>> Drafting (not towed) on such a bike at a speed of 105 kph behind a
>> cube van is very very hard to believe IMO.
>>

> Not with the combination of the large low pressure area created behind
> the cube van combined with a downhill road.

Even then it is very hard to believe. Personally I don't care but I can
imagine that other people have doubts.

> Less believable is the contention that certain other people were not
> implying Mr. Jute was lying, before the full story was posted.

Maybe, but I don't believe Carl is a bad person.

Lou

Lou Holtman wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> Lou Holtman wrote:

>>> Drafting (not towed) on such a bike at a speed of 105 kph behind a
>>> cube van is very very hard to believe IMO.
>>>

>> Not with the combination of the large low pressure area created behind
>> the cube van combined with a downhill road.

> Even then it is very hard to believe. Personally I don't care but I can
> imagine that other people have doubts.
>
>> Less believable is the contention that certain other people were not
>> implying Mr. Jute was lying, before the full story was posted.

> Maybe, but I don't believe Carl is a bad person.

If "Dear Carl" accused you of lying when you were not, would you feel
the same way?