land speed record for dummies...

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Lou Holtman wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:
>>
>>> I do not see how a speed of approximately 105 kph while drafting a
>>> cube van is so hard to believe.

>> Drafting (not towed) on such a bike at a speed of 105 kph behind a
>> cube van is very very hard to believe IMO.

> Don't pro cyclists often exceed 65 mph on some descents?

Often no, sometimes yes. Don't believe journalists that are saying that
speeds over 100 km/hr are common in pro cycling. Even with traffic free
roads, tight fit clothes, a road bike and with their nose on the front
tube and ass on the top tube of the frame.

> Even us hackers
> can get close to that given the right conditions.
>
> It wouldn't be the first time that Carl accused someone unjustly and then
> absolutely refused to even acknowledge much less retract it. (A certain
> "Alan Braggins" comes to mind.)

I can't comment on that and I don't care. Nobody is perfect.

Lou

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Lou Holtman wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:

>>> Not with the combination of the large low pressure area created
>>> behind the cube van combined with a downhill road.

>> Even then it is very hard to believe. Personally I don't care but I
>> can imagine that other people have doubts.
>>
>>> Less believable is the contention that certain other people were not
>>> implying Mr. Jute was lying, before the full story was posted.

>> Maybe, but I don't believe Carl is a bad person.
>>

> If "Dear Carl" accused you of lying when you were not, would you feel
> the same way?

I would say that I'm not and leave it there. No point in saying that
over and over and over. Filter the good stuff leave the rest after
correcting him once.

Lou

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Lou Holtman wrote:
>> Tom Sherman wrote:
>>
>>> I do not see how a speed of approximately 105 kph while drafting a
>>> cube van is so hard to believe.

>> Drafting (not towed) on such a bike at a speed of 105 kph behind a
>> cube van is very very hard to believe IMO.

> Don't pro cyclists often exceed 65 mph on some descents? Even us hackers
> can get close to that given the right conditions.

Some (e.g. J. Brandt) state that those claims of television announcers
are greatly exaggerated. It would be a rare stage that would have a
slope long, straight and steep enough to obtain those types of speeds.
Furthermore, the peloton is usually quite "fractured" by the summit, and
does not regroup until the following flatter section. Professional
racers also generally are not that heavy, and their greater power does
not help, since at 100+ kph pedaling would contribute more drag than
forward impetus.

> It wouldn't be the first time that Carl accused someone unjustly and then
> absolutely refused to even acknowledge much less retract it. (A certain
> "Alan Braggins" comes to mind.)

Or even the second time. (Hey, I am in agreement with both Bill Sornson
and Ozark Bicycle on this issue - now that is scary).

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 06:27:00 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:

[ (some) extraneous matter snipped; readers (especially those who have a
demonstrated weakness in counting quote characters) are advised that the
remaining initial paragraphs are retained for context ]

>>> Nothing more? It is absolutely clear that Mr. Fogel was insinuating that
>>> Mr. Jute was lying. It would not be the first, or even the second time
>>> Mr. Fogel has made false accusations of lying.
>>>

>> Nor, if true, would it be the only lie than Andre Jute has told on this
>> newgroup.
> >

> If it is true, how can it also be a lie?

I'll assume you are not sharing the Jute trait of willfull misunderstanding
- the reference of "if true" refers to the (putative) assertion of Fogel
that Jute was indeed lying. As that that charchaterisation of Fogel's
posts is not proven, I offer another (my own) which is indisputable both in
its statement and its veracity.

J. Taylor wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 06:27:00 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:
>
> [ (some) extraneous matter snipped; readers (especially those who have a
> demonstrated weakness in counting quote characters) are advised that the
> remaining initial paragraphs are retained for context ]

>>> Nor, if true, would it be the only lie than Andre Jute has told on this
>>> newgroup.
>> >

>> If it is true, how can it also be a lie?

> I'll assume you are not sharing the Jute trait of willfull misunderstanding
> - the reference of "if true" refers to the (putative) assertion of Fogel
> that Jute was indeed lying.

I was asking for clarification.

> As that that charchaterisation of Fogel's
> posts is not proven, I offer another (my own) which is indisputable both in
> its statement and its veracity.

Maybe not proven on the newsgroup, but the several people whom Mr. Fogel
has falsely accused of lying certainly know how to characterize his
behavior.

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 10:06:56 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:

> J. Taylor wrote:
>> On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 06:27:00 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:
>>
>> [ (some) extraneous matter snipped; readers (especially those who have a
>> demonstrated weakness in counting quote characters) are advised that the
>> remaining initial paragraphs are retained for context ]

>>> If it is true, how can it also be a lie?

>> I'll assume you are not sharing the Jute trait of willfull misunderstanding
>> - the reference of "if true" refers to the (putative) assertion of Fogel
>> that Jute was indeed lying.
> >

> I was asking for clarification.
>
>> As that that charchaterisation of Fogel's
>> posts is not proven, I offer another (my own) which is indisputable both in
>> its statement and its veracity.
> >

> Maybe not proven on the newsgroup, but the several people whom Mr. Fogel
> has falsely accused of lying certainly know how to characterize his
> behavior.

You are committing the (deliberate?) error of assuming your "falsely" is
true.

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Lou Holtman wrote:
> > Tom Sherman wrote:
> >
> >> I do not see how a speed of approximately 105 kph while drafting a
> >> cube van is so hard to believe.

> > Drafting (not towed) on such a bike at a speed of 105 kph behind a cube
> > van is very very hard to believe IMO.
> >

> Not with the combination of the large low pressure area created behind
> the cube van combined with a downhill road.
>
> Less believable is the contention that certain other people were not
> implying Mr. Jute was lying, before the full story was posted.

Tom, you are demonstrating that you don't know the difference between
being accused of lying and being accused of being mistaken.

What, is it a genetic anomaly? You don't have the "make sense of
conversations" gene?

And you know what? If someone on this ng accused me of lying, I'd
clarify my statement or not, and move on. The fact that Jute is now
posting a fairly massive volume of vitriol devoted to this pissant
dispute suggests that no matter what else he may think, he doesn't have
the "sense of proportionality" gene.

But you know, if it makes the two of you happy, who am I to deny you
your hobby? Keep calm and carry on...

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

J. Taylor wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 10:06:56 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:
>
>> J. Taylor wrote:
>>> On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 06:27:00 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:
>>>
>>> [ (some) extraneous matter snipped; readers (especially those who have a
>>> demonstrated weakness in counting quote characters) are advised that the
>>> remaining initial paragraphs are retained for context ]

>>> I'll assume you are not sharing the Jute trait of willfull misunderstanding
>>> - the reference of "if true" refers to the (putative) assertion of Fogel
>>> that Jute was indeed lying.
>> >

>> I was asking for clarification.
>>
>>> As that that charchaterisation of Fogel's
>>> posts is not proven, I offer another (my own) which is indisputable both in
>>> its statement and its veracity.
>> >

>> Maybe not proven on the newsgroup, but the several people whom Mr. Fogel
>> has falsely accused of lying certainly know how to characterize his
>> behavior.

> You are committing the (deliberate?) error of assuming your "falsely" is
> true.

So not only can Mr. Fogel know my mind better that myself, but Mr.
Taylor also? Wow - this newsgroup is full of telepaths!

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Lou Holtman wrote:

>>> Drafting (not towed) on such a bike at a speed of 105 kph behind a cube
>>> van is very very hard to believe IMO.
>>>

>> Not with the combination of the large low pressure area created behind
>> the cube van combined with a downhill road.
>>
>> Less believable is the contention that certain other people were not
>> implying Mr. Jute was lying, before the full story was posted.

> Tom, you are demonstrating that you don't know the difference between
> being accused of lying and being accused of being mistaken.

Mr. Fogel falsely accused me of lying (through his knowledge gained by
telepathic mind reading, one presumes) and has refused to admit his
error or apologize. This establishes past behavior, which makes it all
the easier to recognize its re-occurrence.

> What, is it a genetic anomaly? You don't have the "make sense of
> conversations" gene?

The implication of Mr. Fogel post was clear - Mr. Fogel did not believe
Mr. Jute.

> And you know what? If someone on this ng accused me of lying, I'd
> clarify my statement or not, and move on. The fact that Jute is now
> posting a fairly massive volume of vitriol devoted to this pissant
> dispute suggests that no matter what else he may think, he doesn't have
> the "sense of proportionality" gene.

Mr. Fogel should not have made a judgment until Mr. Jute posted all the
relevant details of his (Mr. Jute's) story.

> But you know, if it makes the two of you happy, who am I to deny you
> your hobby? Keep calm and carry on...

It was interesting to note the amount of "me too" piling on, almost like
there is a cult of "Fogelism".

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:22:02 GMT, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> Tom, you are demonstrating that you don't know the difference between
> being accused of lying and being accused of being mistaken.
>
> What, is it a genetic anomaly? You don't have the "make sense of
> conversations" gene?
>
> And you know what? If someone on this ng accused me of lying, I'd
> clarify my statement or not, and move on. The fact that Jute is now
> posting a fairly massive volume of vitriol devoted to this pissant
> dispute suggests that no matter what else he may think, he doesn't have
> the "sense of proportionality" gene.

"Too easily annoyed..."

The existence of newreaders with killfiles means that such posters can find
themselves without sufficient annoyances; and so they attempt to generate
more, get less, etcetera. Their end point is the the Hawking radiation
seen from Vandeman, Dolan, Sornson, etcetera.

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 23:47:30 -0600, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>However, even when the added information about motor pacing is
>presented, the same detractors will still consider the report to be a
>lie, while denying that they were accusing anyone of lying.

Not to detract from yet another thread heading down a hole to Hell...
but in a slightly related test, Mythbusters did a segment a while back
on drafting trailer trucks in your car. I wish I could remember all
the numbers, but there were very significant mpg advantages in
drafting. The difference showed at even 100 feet. At 3 feet, it was an
outstanding way to save gas!

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Not with the combination of the large low pressure area created behind
> >> the cube van combined with a downhill road.
> >>
> >> Less believable is the contention that certain other people were not
> >> implying Mr. Jute was lying, before the full story was posted.

> > Tom, you are demonstrating that you don't know the difference between
> > being accused of lying and being accused of being mistaken.
> >

> Mr. Fogel falsely accused me of lying (through his knowledge gained by
> telepathic mind reading, one presumes) and has refused to admit his
> error or apologize. This establishes past behavior, which makes it all
> the easier to recognize its re-occurrence.
>
> > What, is it a genetic anomaly? You don't have the "make sense of
> > conversations" gene?
> >

> The implication of Mr. Fogel post was clear - Mr. Fogel did not believe
> Mr. Jute.

Suggesting the falsity of a claim is not the same as accusing the
claimant of lying. Alternatives include that the claimant is innocently
mistaken, or that the claim includes extraordinary circumstances.

Andre's original post certainly included no details about motorpacing,
and I daresay that in a discussion of descending speeds, that would
certainly qualify as an extraordinary detail, and one that, if not
disclosed, is entirely deceptive about the nature of the event. Its
later revelation was a surprise to all.

Note that I don't mean "deceptive" in any particularly malicious
fashion. It's possible Andre had no intention to deceive, and the
failure to include the motorpace was either an innocent oversight or a
playful elision, in order to create a riddle.

Either way, it doesn't matter. Nobody should care about such matters,
except that you're using them as a hobbyhorse which you can ride to some
windmill or another.

> Mr. Fogel should not have made a judgment until Mr. Jute posted all the
> relevant details of his (Mr. Jute's) story.

Mr. Jute never suggested he'd left anything out!

> > But you know, if it makes the two of you happy, who am I to deny you
> > your hobby? Keep calm and carry on...
> >

> It was interesting to note the amount of "me too" piling on, almost like
> there is a cult of "Fogelism".

Lots of people are posting here to point out that Andre Jute is a nutter
with a witless vendetta against Carl Fogel for several reasons. Mine is
that Carl has contributed substantially and reasonably to the
discussions in this group. He has done so for many years, in many ways,
and with an extraordinarily high S-N ratio.

Andre, in a few months here, has posted a few interesting things and a
lot of unjustifiable vitriol. Even if his every accusation against Carl
was maximally true, it still wouldn't justify his daft spray of
aftermath posts.

As for you, Tom, tying your wagon to this cause is making me think less
of you, and your arguments in favor of this cause are redoubling that
trend. It probably doesn't matter to you what I think, and it probably
shouldn't, but I suspect I'm not alone in in feeling this way.

To sum up, the most important reason there's a lot of "Fogelism" right
now is that Andre Jute is a nutter with a witless vendetta against Carl
Fogel. You don't have to agree with this sentiment (you clearly don't)
but it ought to give you pause that so many other people do.

still just me wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 23:47:30 -0600, Tom Sherman
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> However, even when the added information about motor pacing is
>> presented, the same detractors will still consider the report to be a
>> lie, while denying that they were accusing anyone of lying.

> Not to detract from yet another thread heading down a hole to Hell...
> but in a slightly related test, Mythbusters did a segment a while back
> on drafting trailer trucks in your car. I wish I could remember all
> the numbers, but there were very significant mpg advantages in
> drafting. The difference showed at even 100 feet. At 3 feet, it was an
> outstanding way to save gas!

I drafted a pick-up truck pulling a wagon full of hay bales for several
miles at speeds of 40 to 50 kph (25 to 30 mph for USians) on a flat to
slightly rolling road. My effort was that of casual riding, while on the
same bicycle without a draft I would have "blown up" [1] riding at the
same speed over the same road.

[1] Excess lactic acid buildup.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Ryan Cousineau wrote:

>>> Tom, you are demonstrating that you don't know the difference between
>>> being accused of lying and being accused of being mistaken.
>>>

>> Mr. Fogel falsely accused me of lying (through his knowledge gained by
>> telepathic mind reading, one presumes) and has refused to admit his
>> error or apologize. This establishes past behavior, which makes it all
>> the easier to recognize its re-occurrence.
>>
>>> What, is it a genetic anomaly? You don't have the "make sense of
>>> conversations" gene?
>>>

>> The implication of Mr. Fogel post was clear - Mr. Fogel did not believe
>> Mr. Jute.

> Suggesting the falsity of a claim is not the same as accusing the
> claimant of lying. Alternatives include that the claimant is innocently
> mistaken, or that the claim includes extraordinary circumstances.
>
> Andre's original post certainly included no details about motorpacing,
> and I daresay that in a discussion of descending speeds, that would
> certainly qualify as an extraordinary detail, and one that, if not
> disclosed, is entirely deceptive about the nature of the event. Its
> later revelation was a surprise to all.

I did point this out, and Mr. Jute did post what I interpreted to be an
affirmation that I was correct. I hope Mr. Jute will post a correction
if a made an improper interpretation.

> Note that I don't mean "deceptive" in any particularly malicious
> fashion. It's possible Andre had no intention to deceive, and the
> failure to include the motorpace was either an innocent oversight or a
> playful elision, in order to create a riddle.

In either of these cases, the response should have been a request for
more information, not a veiled accusation of falsehood.

> Either way, it doesn't matter. Nobody should care about such matters,
> except that you're using them as a hobbyhorse which you can ride to some
> windmill or another.

Well, the discussion has provided some amusement.

>> Mr. Fogel should not have made a judgment until Mr. Jute posted all the
>> relevant details of his (Mr. Jute's) story.

> Mr. Jute never suggested he'd left anything out!
>
>>> But you know, if it makes the two of you happy, who am I to deny you
>>> your hobby? Keep calm and carry on...
>>>

>> It was interesting to note the amount of "me too" piling on, almost like
>> there is a cult of "Fogelism".

> Lots of people are posting here to point out that Andre Jute is a nutter
> with a witless vendetta against Carl Fogel for several reasons. Mine is
> that Carl has contributed substantially and reasonably to the
> discussions in this group. He has done so for many years, in many ways,
> and with an extraordinarily high S-N ratio.
>
> Andre, in a few months here, has posted a few interesting things and a
> lot of unjustifiable vitriol. Even if his every accusation against Carl
> was maximally true, it still wouldn't justify his daft spray of
> aftermath posts.

At one time, Mr. Jute would have been justified in filing a libel suit
against Mr. Fogel, and in an earlier time, challenging Mr. Fogel to a
dual. Accusations of lying should not be made lightly.

> As for you, Tom, tying your wagon to this cause is making me think less
> of you, and your arguments in favor of this cause are redoubling that
> trend. It probably doesn't matter to you what I think, and it probably
> shouldn't, but I suspect I'm not alone in in feeling this way.

But I have the advantage of no expectations of people liking me.

Mr. Fogel has played the part of a politician in public on this
newsgroup, which does wear thin.

> To sum up, the most important reason there's a lot of "Fogelism" right
> now is that Andre Jute is a nutter with a witless vendetta against Carl
> Fogel. You don't have to agree with this sentiment (you clearly don't)
> but it ought to give you pause that so many other people do.

What of the two people who have the least use for me on this newsgroup
(excluding Mr. Fogel, presumably) apparently agree completely with me on
this issue?

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> still just me wrote:
> > On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 23:47:30 -0600, Tom Sherman
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> However, even when the added information about motor pacing is
> >> presented, the same detractors will still consider the report to be a
> >> lie, while denying that they were accusing anyone of lying.

> > Not to detract from yet another thread heading down a hole to Hell...
> > but in a slightly related test, Mythbusters did a segment a while back
> > on drafting trailer trucks in your car. I wish I could remember all
> > the numbers, but there were very significant mpg advantages in
> > drafting. The difference showed at even 100 feet. At 3 feet, it was an
> > outstanding way to save gas!
> >

> I drafted a pick-up truck pulling a wagon full of hay bales for several
> miles at speeds of 40 to 50 kph (25 to 30 mph for USians) on a flat to
> slightly rolling road. My effort was that of casual riding, while on the
> same bicycle without a draft I would have "blown up" [1] riding at the
> same speed over the same road.
>
> [1] Excess lactic acid buildup.

The very best description of the effects of drafting is probably this
article:

<http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/3237/road-test-how-we-won-the-insigh
t-fuel-economy-challenge-without-cheating-much.html>

The short version: Honda organizes a little fuel-economy contest pitting
motorjournalists against each other in identical Honda Insight hybrids.
Car & Driver confirms that drafting other vehicles is permitted, then
builds their own drafting car out of a Ford Excursion, a full-width mud
flap, and some plywood. Drafting inches off the tail of the Excursion,
they registered nearly 122 mpg at 58 mph, to the second-best 83.4 mpg at
59 mph (the speed is relevant because the winning formula was mpg + avg
speed).

Now that's wind-cheating!

On Feb 3, 3:06 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I drafted a pick-up truck pulling a wagon full of hay bales for several
> miles at speeds of 40 to 50 kph (25 to 30 mph for USians) on a flat to
> slightly rolling road. My effort was that of casual riding, while on the
> same bicycle without a draft I would have "blown up" [1] riding at the
> same speed over the same road.

Did you use that to brag about how aero your bike was - while
purposely omitting the fact that you were drafting?

- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] aka Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On Feb 3, 3:06 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I drafted a pick-up truck pulling a wagon full of hay bales for several
>> miles at speeds of 40 to 50 kph (25 to 30 mph for USians) on a flat to
>> slightly rolling road. My effort was that of casual riding, while on the
>> same bicycle without a draft I would have "blown up" [1] riding at the
>> same speed over the same road.

> Did you use that to brag about how aero your bike was - while
> purposely omitting the fact that you were drafting?

No, and while said action would have been misleading, it would not have
been a lie, UNLESS the argument was made that the speed was solely due
to bicycle aerodynamics.

By the way, do not try this if you are allergic to hay dust.

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 14:16:29 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:

>> To sum up, the most important reason there's a lot of "Fogelism" right
>> now is that Andre Jute is a nutter with a witless vendetta against Carl
>> Fogel. You don't have to agree with this sentiment (you clearly don't)
>> but it ought to give you pause that so many other people do.
>>

> What of the two people who have the least use for me on this newsgroup
> (excluding Mr. Fogel, presumably) apparently agree completely with me on
> this issue?

Claiming the judgement of idiots as support is no paen to logic.

On Feb 3, 3:48 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> [email protected] aka Frank Krygowski wrote:> On Feb 3, 3:06 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> >> I drafted a pick-up truck pulling a wagon full of hay bales for several
> >> miles at speeds of 40 to 50 kph (25 to 30 mph for USians) on a flat to
> >> slightly rolling road. My effort was that of casual riding, while on the
> >> same bicycle without a draft I would have "blown up" [1] riding at the
> >> same speed over the same road.

> > Did you use that to brag about how aero your bike was - while
> > purposely omitting the fact that you were drafting?

> No, and while said action would have been misleading, it would not have
> been a lie, UNLESS the argument was made that the speed was solely due
> to bicycle aerodynamics.

We're on the edge of a breakthrough!

Now you've admitted such a thing would have been misleading, but that
it would not be a lie.

OK, now re-read the Fogel quote you're incensed about. Did he
specifically say Jute's statement was a lie? Or is there a chance he
was merely implying that Jute could be "misleading" people?

- Frank Krygowski