land speed record

ray

Guest
Greetings All,
I'm reliably informed (source in Canberra) that an attempt will be
made later this year here in Victoria on the world human-powered speed
record, using a vehicle imported from the US.
I have something of a vested interest in this, as I was present the last
time this was tried here 21 years ago, and am now the part-custodian of
the vehicle that made the attempt.
Does anyone have any details as to who, where and when? The HPV
Association does not seem to know at this point.
For the record, the Australian record is 78.91 k/mh (1984), and the
world record is now over 130 k/mh for a single-seat vehicle. There is a
good chance they will be able to break the former, but the latter would
take a bit of doing.
Regards,
Ray.

"ray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> For the record, the Australian record is 78.91 k/mh (1984), and the world
> record is now over 130 k/mh for a single-seat vehicle.

Not sure if this is the over all Aussie HPV land speed record but Ben
Kersten clocked 80.3 kmh last year in a velodrome -
http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/kersten-sets-80kmh-velodrome-record/2005/10/26/1130302841675.html

Guinness records the faster ever bicycle speed as 268.831 kmh in '95 -
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=43641

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

OzCableguy said:
"ray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> For the record, the Australian record is 78.91 k/mh (1984), and the world
> record is now over 130 k/mh for a single-seat vehicle.

Not sure if this is the over all Aussie HPV land speed record but Ben
Kersten clocked 80.3 kmh last year in a velodrome -
http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/kersten-sets-80kmh-velodrome-record/2005/10/26/1130302841675.html

Guinness records the faster ever bicycle speed as 268.831 kmh in '95 -
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=43641

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

The 268kph one was drafting a car (and one with a big **** at that). The 130kph record is completely unassisted.

"OzCableguy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "ray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> For the record, the Australian record is 78.91 k/mh (1984), and the world
>> record is now over 130 k/mh for a single-seat vehicle.

> Not sure if this is the over all Aussie HPV land speed record but Ben
> Kersten clocked 80.3 kmh last year in a velodrome -
> http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/kersten-sets-80kmh-velodrome-record/2005/10/26/1130302841675.html

Land speed record is a flying 200m timed run, on a flat course. It maybe an
average of three or best of three also, not sure. 20m at peak speed off a
bank on a velodrome is a very different type of speed event.

> Guinness records the faster ever bicycle speed as 268.831 kmh in '95 -
> http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=43641

In the 1890s it was 100kmh, behind a train. Now they do it behind modified
Salt Lake race cars.

Cheers
Peter

Aksherley trying for the Australian flying 200 metre record which as Ray mentioned is only 78kmh from the 1984 attempt.

The bike is based on the Kyle Edge streamliner which is the red one on this page http://www.speed101.com/

Not your average commuter eh?

Poit