Landis goes Postal

limerickman said:
...So why should a rider, or an agent acting on behalf of the rider, profit from the sales of something given free?
Aaah, Lim. For an analogy, think about your local drug dealers / users, and their views on ownership of property. Notice any similarities?

limerickman said:
I think that it is disgraceful that professional teams/riders may be selling their bikes.

The sponsors of these riders/team supply the bikes free gratis to the teams.
So why should a rider, or an agent acting on behalf of the rider, profit from the sales of something given free?

You raise issues such as 'ethics' & 'morality' - these are not concepts that sit comfortably with pro-cycling. TBH, I'm almost past caring & the spectacle is almost enough for me.

EoinC said:
Aaah, Lim. For an analogy, think about your local drug dealers / users, and their views on ownership of property. Notice any similarities?

Sorry Eoin.

I was naive to assume that something like sport would have a shred of credibility:rolleyes:

Momentary lapse, I promise!

gtm said:
You raise issues such as 'ethics' & 'morality' - these are not concepts that sit comfortably with pro-cycling. TBH, I'm almost past caring & the spectacle is almost enough for me.

I know, I'm a fool.
:p

limerickman said:
Sorry Eoin.

I was naive to assume that something like sport would have a shred of credibility:rolleyes:

Momentary lapse, I promise!
Lim - I'll see your naivety and raise you one - I'm hopeful that the younger riders coming through will see doping as unacceptable, and resist the urge to sell a bike or two for a bag of the red stuff.

On a contemporary theme, how's Pévenage's logic? - "I want to make it clear that at the time, I never had the feeling that I was doing anything wrong". He then goes on to explain how he always used a pre-paid phone so that his calls to Fuentes couldn't be traced...

In a World where it is increasingly difficult to attract sponsorship, selling off donated bikes is another smack in the mouth to efforts to encourage companies to support all levels of the sport.

limerickman said:
Thanks for that link Dan.

I think that it is disgraceful that professional teams/riders may be selling their bikes.

The sponsors of these riders/team supply the bikes free gratis to the teams.
So why should a rider, or an agent acting on behalf of the rider, profit from the sales of something given free?

Teams or riders selling their gear has happened for decades and has never been a secret. Gee some of you lot are naive sometimes.

classic1 said:
Teams or riders selling their gear has happened for decades and has never been a secret. Gee some of you lot are naive sometimes.
That's true, Classic, but it doesn't make it right when the supplier has stipulated that the bikes be passed on for junior development. I guess it's win-win if they're sold to juniors...

classic1 said:

Agreed, I always thought this was normal at the end of the season.

classic1 said:

I wasn't aware that bikes were sold on - and it wasn't the case for riders back in the day.

As I said earlier, guys like Roche and kelly would give their bikes for auction for charity or they would give their used bikes on to the espoirs squad.

And as Eoin said, if the supplier stipulates that used bikes should not be sold on, then why are modern teams selling them on.

Great riders bikes normally end up in museums or on public display

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3059/3087112206_3110a9c02b.jpg

http://de.academic.ru/pictures/dewiki/69/EddyMerckxHourRecordBike.jpg

limerickman said:
I wasn't aware that bikes were sold on - and it wasn't the case for riders back in the day.

It was common back in the day. The end of season Herald Sun Tour was like a bazaar from the time the Europeans started riding it in the early 80's. Motorola used to sell gear at the end of the season all the time. I could name plenty of other instances where pro riders bikes appeared on the market. Just because messers Roche and Kelly were generous does not mean others weren't in it for a quid.

classic1 said:
It was common back in the day. The end of season Herald Sun Tour was like a bazaar from the time the Europeans started riding it in the early 80's. Motorola used to sell gear at the end of the season all the time. I could name plenty of other instances where pro riders bikes appeared on the market. Just because messers Roche and Kelly were generous does not mean others weren't in it for a quid.

Fair enough.

Pros in a lot of different venues sell off stuff they get from sponsors.
I know for a fact that skiers do it. You can look at as a barter, talent and effort and mainly endorsement for equipment.

Eldrack said:
Looks like Pevenage is following Landis' lead:

Pévenage Confesses To Operación Puerto Involvement | Cyclingnews.com

I wonder how many people he can send up **** creek without a paddle? Anyone who was on Telecom/T-Mobile whilst he was running the team no doubt. Lends more credence to the idea that Armstrong must have doped, how else could he have beaten a geared up Ulrich?

Careful with your libelous remarks!

The article actually says that Ullrich doped in an effort to beat Lance.
Lance actually is a phenomenal athlete as proven by his bald stats VO2 max etc.
It is flawed logic to assume that someone doped to beat Lance therefore Lance must have been doped too.

Some beleive that it is flawed logic to believe that a clean rider could beat the best of the world's cycling talent while they are doped to the max.

fastalarms said:
The article actually says that Ullrich doped in an effort to beat Lance.
Lance actually is a phenomenal athlete as proven by his bald stats VO2 max etc.
It is flawed logic to assume that someone doped to beat Lance therefore Lance must have been doped too.

It's so endearing to read that there are still individuals in the world that believe in Santa and the Tooth Fairy...kinda cute too...

At the end of the day things may or may not have happened.
If some were not caught at the time then lucky them.
To the ones who were caught , they knew they were commiting an offence and they have to do the time.

If you were speeding in your car and the motorist in front of you was pulled over by the police would you pull over too and say ' Hey by the way I was speeding too'
or. . would you keep your head down?
Wether Armstrong was or was not involved in anything in my opinion as mentioned before is not relevant anymore.
If you strip one person from a result from that era how do you know the next one on the list was clean too or do you just wipe all the results from that era and say nobody won anything and ask for all the prize money back.

Now that drug use is as heavily monitored as it is ever going to be a line has to be drawn under the Landis era and people have to move on. Riders who were caught back then have served their suspensions and are or are not back in the saddle.

The only interest in revisiting that era is because someone wants Lance's prize money back.
Unfortunately its likely to cost all that and more trying to prove a case without evidence as heresay is not acceptable evidence in a court of law and no samples have turned up as evidence.

Ullrich has already been condemed without a trial and the only thing he has been charged with is fraud.
Public opinion and the media have condemed him, however the American media and public are different and the US is not cycling following country like some European countries are.
Proof or no proof I doubt that anything will ever happen to Armstrong.

jhuskey said:
Ullrich has already been condemed without a trial and the only thing he has been charged with is fraud.
Public opinion and the media have condemed him, however the American media and public are different and the US is not cycling following country like some European countries are.
Proof or no proof I doubt that anything will ever happen to Armstrong.

Ulrich paid a fine to avoid a jail sentence on charges of sporting fraud didn't he?

It is true that there is a massive difference between the American and European media. The European media is about reporting facts whilst putting your own spin on things. American media is, well, absolute bull. Just look at Fox News. They make things up left right and centre to support their own agenda.