Landis goes Postal

Landis may be a pathological liar but so is pretty much everyone involved in professional cycling - the Omerta, as detailed in Jeremy Whittle's Bad Blood, is so strong that those who speak out are inevitably ostracized.

To go after LA is a fruitless endeavour unless you have proof so strong that it cannot be refuted - perhaps after all these years we may have the smoking gun. He claims to have much, much more to reveal, that this is just a taster, if so then this really could be the end of the Miracle.

We need text messages, faxes, recorded conversations, photos, witnesses willing to corroborate his story - not just hearsay which can be explained away and attributed to a bitter has-been.

Is this the beginning of the end for LA? Has the tipping point been reached with 4 ex-team mates admitting to doping not to mention Hamilton and Heras.

In the past LA has admitted to paying substantial sums to the UCI, estimated to be as much as 500,000 dollars but neither party would ever detail it. Landis's accusation that Johaan bought the UCI off only confirms what most people would assume the money was for - or do other athletes act so charitably to the organisations who are trying to nail them?

This is going to run and run, if only the bus driver could be found . . .

limerickman said:
I think that it is a positive result, when a man admits his guilt.
If this were him admitting his guilt, I would agree. In that case he would have given more details about his own doping and not named names. That's not what this is at all. It's about taking everyone down that he can. He's making accusations, and at the same time he's still claiming he was clean in the 2006 Tour.

Is some of it true? Probably. But as a package I'm sure there are embellishments and omissions as well as outright lies. As a result the whole thing tells us nothing. He can't have it both ways.

Admission is a positive turn of events, but I really have doubts about Landis' character. Would he have done this if he hadn't gotten caught? Absolutely not! He's only doing this becuase he thinks he's been unfairly singled out while the rest of dopers get away with it:

"I don't feel guilty at all about having doped. I did what I did because that's what we [cyclists] did and it was a choice I had to make after 10 years or 12 years of hard work to get there, and that was a decision I had to make to make the next step."

I'm pretty sure that deep down in his mind, he thinks he won the tour fair and square. His confession is a Kantian nightmare and was done for all the wrong reasons. It's just some vindictive rant...though I still hope something good comes out of it.

But technically he did win fair and square... because in all reality all of the people competing for the tour win that year where all doping.

At this point who really cares. It appears that Floyd has finally run out of money and he is setting up a tell all book to pedal (no pun intended) to build up his depleted bank account. He said/she said/they said/I said...I want video with clear sound so I can pop my corn and settle back for the show! If you don't have any of that...yawn... bring on the Tour!

Ol' Floyd needs to come up with some dirty needles like that trainer with Roger Clemens...otherwise, "where's the beef"??

limerickman said:
I think that it is a positive result, when a man admits his guilt.

Ideally he should have confessed in 2006 (in fact, he should never have gone down the doping route in the first place).

I do think that he still owes Greg LeMond an apology for the accusations that were made in court though.

I couldn't agree more!

Johan Bruyneel | LiveStrong said:
Johan Bruyneel Comments on Landis Situation
Team RadioShack Team Manager Johan Bruyneel spoke to the press after Lance Armstrong, all prior to the start of the fifth stage of the Amgen Tour of California. Bruyneel responded to allegations from Floyd Landis of organized doping.

“I absolutely deny everything he said. I will reiterate a little more what Lance said. It’s not a surprise to us, we’ve been expecting this for a long time. Floyd started contacting us, me in particular, four years ago, almost as soon as he tested positive. He threatened, blackmail, whatever you want to call it, asking for certain things, asking for a job when he was able to race again. Obviously we did not respond to that request. From there on it’s been a constant roller coaster in that Floyd has changed his story too many times. He’s been saying something for four years. I’ve seen him on TV and in court. He wrote a book, set up a fund once he found out a legal defense is very expensive. All of a sudden this changes. He’s pointing at me, he’s pointing at Lance but he’s pointing to all the people that are still there. He even goes after Andy Rihs or Jim Ochowicz, all people who are still in the sport. For me it’s clear we’re dealing with someone who is bitter. To me Floyd has always been an angry person, sometimes for good, sometimes for bad. Sometimes he used anger in a race to motivate himself. But really he’s angry with the world. To me it sounds like he wants to drag down people that are still here and he’s enjoying this. There’s not so much else I can say about this. Except to say it’s another fact in a long line of things that happened in the past and coming from Floyd it’s no surprise."

(Regarding the timing) "You can ask what his drive is and I still don’t know. I know his team and his new personal sponsor had been trying to get into this race, so he was not only threatening us but also Andrew Messick and the sponsor of this race. They didn’t respond the way he wanted. Who knows? I think he finally found someone who wanted to write his story. I’m pretty sure some people standing here have had the story for a few weeks but didn’t give it any credibility, but now here we are. Who knows, maybe by the end of the race he shows up. I’d totally expect that too. It’s definitely an unpleasant fact and a distraction for this race and for us, but it’s nothing that I’m going to lose my sleep over.

"This (story) came late at night yesterday but it’s not like it all-of-a-sudden fell out of the sky. We’ve known since Sacramento, actually a little earlier. Obviously I was aware of it, Lance was aware of it, the teammates were aware of it. We’re going to try to not let it be a distraction as best we can. I’m going to go in the bus and talk about today’s stage and see how we can go about winning this race."

(In regards to the demands made by Landis)" He was basically asking for two things after his positive test in the Tour de France in 2006. First he has been asking us for money, a lot of money to help pay for his legal costs. (Asked if he gave him any) No, of course not or we wouldn’t be standing here. Also after his suspension was over on two occasions he has asked me for a job on the team, which also, of course, I didn’t respond positively to. The history shows that this is the time we’re going to talk about it and I hope we can address as much as we can but after I walk onto the bus, I’m done with it. We’re here for the Tour of California, this is a very important race for us, obviously Floyd chose this moment. Whether he first wanted to put pressure on the organization to put his team in the race and didn’t get it, then saw that all the doors were closed so he comes out with it when the Tour of California gets to a high point since tomorrow is the most important day…..his timing is obviously not a coincidence. For us basically this is nothing new."

(Rather than characterize it as extortion…) "I would rather call it a sad story. Knowing the personality, his history, having had him on the team, I mean we took Floyd on the team when he was in bad financial shape after the Mercury fiasco and he had no money. I remember he told me, “Luckily you got me on the team because I was almost forced to sell my house to pay my bills.” Since then I think it’s been up and down for Floyd and I would advise him to look for professional help, and I’m not talking about lawyers, I’m talking about other help.

"When I read the part of the email that said I’d taught him the doping, I thought, Wow, I must have some special qualifications. I deny this completely. This part just came out, these specific allegations against me I only learned of a few weeks ago. I’m not the only one who received this email. What can you do? We can say what we think and feel about it and say we feel bad for Floyd. He went from a high point and then basically two days later had lost everything he had. All the people in cycling received these emails, they were copied, so everyone knows what was said. This is another incident in a long line. To me it comes to what kind of credibility you can give to Floyd Landis after four years telling his story. I recently saw him on “Larry King Live” and he was talking about something else but if this is true then he’s been lying to everyone for four years. The credibility of Floyd Landis is really at a low point right now. I think he needs help.”

Read more: Johan Bruyneel Comments on Landis Situation | Team Radioshack

This is going to make our sport look pretty stupid. :mad:

steve said:
This is going to make our sport look pretty stupid. :mad:

How does that saying go? "Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom."?

Maybe this is just what the sport needs to clean house once and for all. There will always be doubts, no matter the outcome of this new development.

Floyd must've calculated the expected character assasination by those he named personally. I have to believe he's got the smokin' gun(s) on standby as he definitely knows the inside of a courtroom all too well and he further knows he can't win a strict "he said/she said" contest...

tonyzackery said:
Floyd must've calculated the expected character assasination by those he named personally. I have to believe he's got the smokin' gun(s) on standby as he definitely knows the inside of a courtroom all too well and he further knows he can't win a strict "he said/she said" contest...

Perhaps they know he has the smokin' gun(s)? I read somewhere they stated they wouldn't sue him.

I for one refuse to believe that there is a doping problem in the sport. I see no proof only the allegations that Mr. Landis makes against himself and others. Lance has never tested positive and I think Johann is a model of integrity in the sport.

daveryanwyoming said:
Sure, if you forget about the postdated TUE and those pesky 6 EPO positive results...

Pretty good summary here and it's all based on public records so fact check to your heart's content:

Lance Armstrong Doping History

All of that is hearsay and French conspiracy.

More importantly, there is not a single shred of evidence to even support the allegations Floyd makes against himself.

Floyd and Lance are clean, in that I believe.

Malkmus said:
I for one refuse to believe that there is a doping problem in the sport. I see no proof only the allegations that Mr. Landis makes against himself and others. Lance has never tested positive and I think Johann is a model of integrity in the sport.

Lance Armstrong has never tested positive. Bjarne Riis has never tested positive. David Millar had not tested positive before his apartment was searched and evidence of doping found. I'm not saying that this means Lance Armstrong is a doper, but let's not be naive about doping tests.

lance_armstrong said:
Lance Armstrong has never tested positive. Bjarne Riis has never tested positive. David Millar had not tested positive before his apartment was searched and evidence of doping found. I'm not saying that this means Lance Armstrong is a doper, but let's not be naive about doping tests.

I am pretty sure that I am not naive about doping. Sure it exists in other sports like football, american football and cricket. But steroids and human growth hormone in cycling? Come on? Not likely. These guys are skinny and would never take anything to make themselves look like body builders. Floyd's allegations that he took human growth hormone are just nonsensical.

Lance and Floyd win because they are on the bike six hours a day and they have the genius of Johann to guide them to victory. There has never been a positive US Postal/Shack drug test because Johann runs a tight ship and wouldn't tolerate such unprofessionalism.

At the end of the day, I am certain that Floyd and Lance will be exonerated of these bogus allegations.

Peace...