Landis goes Postal

Malkmus said:
But steroids and human growth hormone in cycling? Come on? Not likely.

Do you think something that helps a cyclist recover would be of benefit?

They'd likely much use smaller amounts of steroids compared to a football player or weight lifter. Obviously bulk and strength arn't needed or wanted in road cycling. However, recovery is very important.

steve said:
Do you think something that helps a cyclist recover would be of benefit?

They'd likely much use smaller amounts of steroids compared to a football player or weight lifter. Obviously bulk and strength arn't needed or wanted in road cycling. However, recovery is very important.

Recovery, from day to day, is probably the most important benefit from these drugs. Baseball players, who are implicated in drug abuse or have tested positive, always say that these drugs dont' make them see the ball better and/or hit the ball further, but get them back on the field quicker if injured.

steve said:
This is going to make our sport look pretty stupid. :mad:
A simple "This is not true" would be slightly more credible to me. Why add in that, if this is true, then he's been lying for the last 4 years? Is that putting it forward that such may be the case? Strange defence...

EoinC said:
A simple "This is not true" would be slightly more credible to me. Why add in that, if this is true, then he's been lying for the last 4 years? Is that putting it forward that such may be the case? Strange defence...

good point, i guess thats why Landis isn't going to get sued. ;)

I prefer to remember Landis for his barnstorming comeback in 2006 T de F (specifically the 'miraculous' ride in stage 17). Ok, he was doped up to the eyeballs but it was damned exciting at the time. It made a refreshing change from the grim, by the margins Armstrong era..

To be frank I think doping is something we are going to have to put up with in pro cycling for the foreseeable future. Personally, I think the 2009 T de F was as dirty as others. I'm kinda training myself to turn a blind eye.

Finally, one of Lances team mates was busted a few days ago (Fyu Li)

gtm said:
I prefer to remember Landis for his barnstorming comeback in 2006 T de F (specifically the 'miraculous' ride in stage 17).

That is my favorite stage to, a ride of epic proportions :D

I'm sort of with the OP on this. The allegations are plausible, but the hard evidence is non-existent and the accuser's credibility has been poisoned by his own motives and actions since 2007. If Landis is telling the truth, he would have done everyone a favor, including himself, by telling this story three years ago.

To me, Lance's guarded response was just ambiguous and uncategorical enough to keep this story deliciously enticing and newsworthy.

You gotta wonder what's gonna happen next.

First, we have several years of "I'm clean... I never doped" he testified under oath, threatened LeMond with blackmail and even set up a charity to help fund his court room shennanigans... A charity that some peoe actually donated too.

Taken from that angle, recent events pretty much set him up for perjury, made him look lim a complete and utter c(.)nt and maybe action from those who donated cash... And he still is facing computer hacking charges and has an arrest warrant out for him in France.

Unless he has actual documentation, photos or other hard evidence, is anyone really gonna believe him? Of course there's the rather sizable crowd who'll swing off the nuts of anyone who utters the words "lance" "dope" and "I saw" within the same week but in a court of law or even a panel of people who sent landis down for a 2 year ban in the first place.

Pissing off the uci, all ex team bosses, advisors such as Lim and a few others in one go pretty much has him out numbered and in the odd situation that 'all the afore mentioned' would actually work together to clear their names if something collectively known actually did happen. A staggered approach surely would have been better. The least he could have done was try to get **** Pound taken down first :p

... One wonders how long cannondale or Ouch would like to be associated with him and the team he rides for. It'd be a shame for bhati if they pulled the pulled the plug because of this...

steve said:

Yes - I remember sitting in front of my tv literally quivering with excitement.

The fact is the 'Posties' / Discovery were an extremely dirty team. Andreu, Hamilton, Heras, O'Bee, Landis, Basso etc. Apparently Michael Barry has as good as admitted doping in his new book (without admitting it). Alot have people who have been associated with LA during their careers have dragged themselves into the gutter. It's like he's the angel of dope or something.

The UCI allegation is very shocking & if true represents about the worst thing thats happened in the past 20 years or so. McQuaids reaction was typically weird.

'These guys coming out now with things like this from the past is only damaging the sport'

Boy, we sure have some varied opinions here:
coneofsilence said:
I don't think its hit rock bottom yet.

Malkmus said:
At the end of the day, I am certain that Floyd and Lance will be exonerated of these bogus allegations.

I think both of these opinions are wrong. The sport *has* hit rock bottom. About the only thing you could get away with consistently these days with the biological passport and testing is some mild blood doping. From now on I think there will be fewer positive tests and we just have to wait for a few bitter old riders (Floyd) to work their way through the system and then the scandals will fall off too.

On the other hand, I think we all know that pretty much 100% of riders were doping five years ago. In my view we shouldn't really blame them. That's what money and competition lead to in the absence of really good testing. I think the same is true for every professional sport (definitely NFL, MLB, NBA, or the European soccer leagues).

Malkmus said:
See. I was correct. Lance is clean. Floyd will be cleared next.

Trolling is so easy isn't it? You just say something completely outrageous in a way that makes it sound like you believe it and everyone falls over their own incredulity because they just don't quite know how to respond.

On another note I'm wondering if Floyd can be put in jail for lying in court? He spent 2 years saying in court he didn't dope but now he's admitted it, what happens legally? Any lawyers here?

A charge of perjury can carry a fine, imprisonment or both. Doubtful that the DA would press this imo.

perjury n. the crime of intentionally lying after being duly sworn (to tell the truth) by a notary public, court clerk or other official. This false statement may be made in testimony in court, administrative hearings, depositions, answers to interrogatories, as well as by signing or acknowledging a written legal document (such as affidavit, declaration under penalty of perjury, deed, license application, tax return) known to contain false information. Although a crime, prosecutions for perjury are rare, because a defendant will argue he/she merely made a mistake or misunderstood.

steve said:

I remember watching the so-called "miracle stage" as Landis ****** away from the field and it was around the time we had the annual influx of American xenophobes.

That very day, I told the cretins that Flandis had doped and naturally our friends took umbrage because we're just "haters":D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I must dig out that post.:)

limerickman said:
I remember watching the so-called "miracle stage" as Landis ****** away from the field and it was around the time we had the annual influx of American xenophobes.

That very day, I told the cretins that Flandis had doped and naturally our friends took umbrage because we're just "haters":D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The doping was self evident but it made for jolly good entertainment - like pro wrestling :D

Greg Lemond has pitched his oar in to this mess:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/m...andis_statements_about_doping_in_cycling.html

limerickman said:

It was great to watch, but yeah, how many times did they (during coverage) say "unbelievable!!" That's become our buzzword at home watching "incredible" and "miraculous" racing performances...yeah...UNbelievable. ;)

After that stage, I too raised an eyebrow and thought, well I hope he didn't "do" something. It was disappointing but not surprising when he got busted. Blaming it on a shot of whiskey...also unbelievable.

Guess I'm a hater too, Lim. :D

But it was still a great stage and watching him divebomb those hills was pretty exciting at the time.