Landis goes Postal

Cobblestones

Jul 2, 2007
The Wall Street Journal reports on unpublished emails sent by Floyd Landis to several cycling officials in which he details doping practices on USPS and Phonak and implicates Bruyneel, Armstrong, Hincapie, Leipheimer, and Zabriskie (among others) in systematic doping.

Thanks for posting that. Its going to be interesting to see how all parties try to manage this over the coming weeks :eek:

steve said:
Thanks for posting that. Its going to be interesting to see how all parties try to manage this over the coming weeks :eek:

I wonder if Landis took a bribe from the Tour de France organizers to come out with this story right now? :p Timings' just about right to set up some sh1t for the end of June/start of July.

It'll be the same old, same old, routine. Landis will get his reputation well and truely shot to sh1t and will end up riding for peanuts again next year... Literally riding for peanuts. Everyone else will deny all...

Maybe he's hoping for a "Hello, I'm David Millar and I'm hollier than thou" welcome back to the sport. If he is he needs a smack in the teeth. Millar still needs a smack in the chops for being quite the sanctimonious bstard.

The bigger issue is how the feck will someone figure out how to cleanse sports from the near 40 year old spectre of blood doping? You can only hope that someone with some brains somewhere will figure something definative out before it's 50th anniversary roles around...

People are still amazed that Armstrong may/may not have been able to do such things with bags of blood and a small fridge but lets face it, the Italians and Americans did it back in 84 and the Russians and East Germans were doing it back in the 70s.

What upsets me is that Landis is doing this after years of denial. He MIGHT have had some credibility had he come clean right then and there when he tested positive, but by his recent admission we now know that he's a liar based on contradiction. All these guys are gonna zip their lips and nothing will come out of it. Maybe a decade from now some no-name postie will admit to blood doping, but by then will anyone care? Who knows.

genedan said:
What upsets me is that Landis is doing this after years of denial. He MIGHT have had some credibility had he come clean right then and there when he tested positive, but by his recent admission we now know that he's a liar based on contradiction. All these guys are gonna zip their lips and nothing will come out of it. Maybe a decade from now some no-name postie will admit to blood doping, but by then will anyone care? Who knows.

True, the accusations would have more credibility if he'd come out with them when he first got busted in 2006.

2002: I was instructed on how to use Testosterone patches by Johan Bruyneel during the During the Dauphine Libere in June, after which I flew on a helicopter with Mr Armstrong from the finish, I believe Grenoble, to San Mauritz Switzerland at which point I was personally handed a box of 2.5 mg patches in front of his wife who witnessed the exchange. About a week later, Dr Ferrari performed an extraction of half a liter of blood to be transfused back into me during the Tour de France. Mr Armstrong was not witness to the extraction but he and I had lengthy discussions about it on our training rides during which time he also explained to me the evolution of EPO testing and how transfusions were now necessary due to the inconvenience of the new test. He also divulged to me at that time that in the first year that the EPO test was used he had been told by Mr Ferrari, who had access to the new test, that he should not use EPO anymore but he did not believe Mr Farrari and contin ued to use it. He later, while winning the Tour de Swiss, the month before the Tour de France, tested positive for EPO at which point he and Mr Bruyneel flew to the UCI headquarters and made a financial agreement with Mr. Vrubrugen to keep the positive test hidden.

2003: After a broken hip in the winter, I flew to Gerona Spain where this time two units (half a liter each) were extracted three weeks apart. This took place in the apartment in which Mr. Armstrong lived and in which I was asked to stay and check the blood temperature every day. It was kept in a small refrigerator in the closet allong with the blood of Mr Armstrong and George Hincapie and since Mr. Armstrong was planning on being gone for a few weeks to train he asked me to stay in his place and make sure the electricity didn't turn off or something go wrong with the referigerator. Then during the Tour de France the entire team, on two different occasions went to the room that we were told and the doctor met us there to do the transfusions. During that Tour de France I personally witnessed George Hincapie, Lance Armstrong, Chechu Rubiera, and myself receiving blood transfusions. Also during that Tour de France the team doctor would give my room mate, George Hincapie an d I a small syringe of olive oil in which was disolved andriol, a form of ingestible testosterone on two out of three nights throughout the duration.

I was asked to ride the Vuelta a Espana that year in support of Roberto Heras and in August, between the Tour and the Vuelta, was told to take EPO to raise my hematocrit back up so more blood transfusions could be performed. I was instructed to go to Lances place by Johan Bruyneel and get some EPO from him. The first EPO I ever used was then handed to me in the entry way to his building in full view of his then wife. It was Eprex by brand and it came in six pre measured syringes. I used it intravenously for several weeks before the next blood draw and had no problems with the tests during the Vuelta. Also during this time it was explained to me how to use Human Growth Hormone by Johan Bruyneel and I bought what I needed from Pepe the team "trainer" who lived in Valencia along with the team doctor at that time. While training for that Vuelta I spent a good deal of time training with Matthew White and Michael Barry and shared the testosterone and EPO that we had and discu ssed the use thereof while training.

Again, during the Vuelta we were given Andriol and blood transfusions by the team doctor and had no problems with any testing.

2004: Again the team performed two seperate blood transfusions on me, but this time Bruyneel had become more paranoid and we did the draws by flying to Belgium and meeting at an unknown persons appartment and the blood was brought by "Duffy" who was at that time Johans assistant of sorts. The second of which was performed on the team bus on the ride from the finish of a stage to the hotel during which the driver pretended to have engine trouble and stopped on a remote mountain road for an hour or so so the entire team could have half a liter of blood added. This was the only time that I ever saw the entire team being transfused in plain view of all the other riders and bus driver. That team included Lance Armstrong, George Hincapie and I as the only Americans.

2005: I had learned at this point how to do most of the transfusion technicals and other things on my own so I hired Allen Lim as my assistant to help with details and logistics. He helped Levi Leipheimer and I prepare the transfusions for Levi and I and made sure they were kept at the proper temperature. We both did two seperate transfusions that Tour however my hematocrit was too low at the start so I did my first one a few days before the start so as to not start with a deficit.

2006: Well you get the idea....... One thing of great signigicance is that I sat down with Andy Riis and explained to him what was done in the past and what was the risk I would be taking and ask for his permission which he granted in the form of funds to complete the operation described. John Lelangue was also informed by me and Andy Riis consulted with Jim Ochowitz before agreeing.

There are many many more details that I have in diaries and am in the process of writing into an intelligible story but since the position of USA Cycling is that there have not been enough details shared to justify calling USADA, I am writing as many as I can reasonably put into an email and share with you so as to ascertain what is the process which USA Cycling uses to proceed with such allegations.

Look forward to much more detail as soon as you can demonstrate that you can be trusted to do the right thing.

Floyd Landis

Go FLandis! Give 'em hell.

It's a nice story for some movie, but he'll have to present some material evidence regarding all this, if he doesn't want to be ridiculed. So far, it's his word against their and that situation has been already seen. It doesn't matter if the whole world believes to his words (and knows they are true), evidences are what will bring wanted satisfaction to all fans. Outcome is very certain if it stays on words.
Timing is perfect for rising TDF euphoria and controversy. It's starting to be a pattern... Before every edition something similar happens. It looks like TDF trailer. But more often we see this trailer when Armstrong is staring. It makes me wonder: to what audience is this trailer (with this protagonist) directed... And who's directing it?
It must be very difficult for him to watch the same cheaters as he is riding in California and to know that only he was caught and disgraced.
Everything looks like an effort of humiliated man to feel less defeated.

So he's spent 4 years pretending he's innocent, goes through every appeal he can and now he comes out with this? Feels like a kind of 'Well, I'm guilty, I can't do anything about it now so I might as well go down fighting?"

If he thought spending lots of money trying to prove his innocence made him poor he is going to have a new definition of that word. He is getting so sued by the lot he just incriminated.

If he could prove it then this would be interesting but really we have no idea if he's just talking **** or not.

Floyd will not be the last nor the biggest name to bring up the subject of doping in cycling.

jhuskey said:
Floyd will not be the last nor the biggest name to bring up the subject of doping in cycling.

True, and I'd like to see photos. These extraordinary allegations, demand extraordinary proof. :rolleyes:

Landis has just gone up in my estimation.

Landis has just confirmed what we all knew anyhow.
I reckon Landis was sitting there in the USA watching the ToC and wondering why doper numero uno is allowed ride when he and the other patsy's are left to stew in the backwaters?

Swampy : if the ASO were behind this (which they're not), why would the ASO be pushing the Tour of California as the second most prestigious event this year with doper boy participating?
Or is that just another part of this massive Machiavellian conspiracy too?

limerickman said:
Really???? This guy has been denying everything for four years, suing everyone in sight, etc. He even wrote a book. (By the way, now I understand the title: "Positively False: The Real Story of How I Won the Tour de France") And now this? And this raises your respect for him? Have you read the articles?

Floyd Landis has proven himself to be the lowest form of life there is. At best, he'll do anything including lie to his friends, lie to his family, and lie in court if he thinks it is in his interest.

While I have no doubt that Armstrong and everyone else was doping back then (and probably still are), I don't believe a word Floyd Landis says about it. All Floyd has done is bring himself even lower in my eyes. You realize he is still claiming that his 2006 Tour victory was clean, right? Go read what he wrote because I just don't see how it could raise anyone's opinion of him.

lanierb said:
Really???? This guy has been denying everything for four years, suing everyone in sight, etc. He even wrote a book. (By the way, now I understand the title: "Positively False: The Real Story of How I Won the Tour de France") And now this? And this raises your respect for him? Have you read the articles?

Floyd Landis has proven himself to be the lowest form of life there is. At best, he'll do anything including lie to his friends, lie to his family, and lie in court if he thinks it is in his interest.

While I have no doubt that Armstrong and everyone else was doping back then (and probably still are), I don't believe a word Floyd Landis says about it. All Floyd has done is bring himself even lower in my eyes. You realize he is still claiming that his 2006 Tour victory was clean, right? Go read what he wrote because I just don't see how it could raise anyone's opinion of him.

I think that it is a positive result, when a man admits his guilt.

Ideally he should have confessed in 2006 (in fact, he should never have gone down the doping route in the first place).

I do think that he still owes Greg LeMond an apology for the accusations that were made in court though.

limerickman said:

Landis has just confirmed what we all knew anyhow.
I reckon Landis was sitting there in the USA watching the ToC and wondering why doper numero uno is allowed ride when he and the other patsy's are left to stew in the backwaters?

Swampy : if the ASO were behind this (which they're not), why would the ASO be pushing the Tour of California as the second most prestigious event this year with doper boy participating?
Or is that just another part of this massive Machiavellian conspiracy too?

No... it's because ASO partnered with AEG, who runs the Tour of California, and have global TV rights to broadcast the event - ie they get to sell it to Eurosports, Versus etc etc. Kerching. $.

Machiavellian conspiracy? BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA.

My question is: If everyone one in the pro tour is doping why make such a big deal about it... It stops being an advantage to everyone.

I still like dreaming and thinking there are pro's and lots of them that do note dope, but lets be real... 3 weeks of none stop pedaling is a bit much even for a trained professional.

Landis' account is horribly plausible (& I for one believe him) & dovetails nicely with what we know already ( Frankie & Betsie Andreu, Emma O'Reilly etc). That being said he's hardly an ideal witness & LA will skate (as per usual)

Nice to see Landis has finally admitted to doping after the circus of court appeals and vehement denials following the 2006 Tour de France. However, it is too little too late. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if his accounts of doping involving other riders was true. It seems like he literally took a page out of Jose Conseco's book, but his credibility is shot and he might want to hire a good attorney who specializes in calumny/defamation lawsuits. Can't wait to hear some of the responses from other riders.

pennstater said:
. It seems like he literally took a page out of Jose Conseco's book, but his credibility is shot and he might want to hire a good attorney who specializes in calumny/defamation lawsuits. Can't wait to hear some of the responses from other riders.

Landis probably isn't worth suing - I doubt he's got a penny to his name.