Landis Interview : looks like he's retiring

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/06/26/what_people_think_of_me_is_mea.html

'What people think of me is meaningless'

Floyd Landis should be about to defend his Tour de France win of last year, instead he is a drug-smeared pariah determined to clear his name.

If appearances counted for anything, then Floyd Landis would be arriving in London for the start of the Tour de France in 11 days' time as the pre-emptive favourite to defend his stunning victory of last July, and not as a pariah. Never has a man looked so innocent, so steady of gaze and sweet of disposition.

As he sat in a lecture hall at Pepperdine University in California last month, looking on as expensive lawyers argued over the positive drug test that transformed his image overnight from yellow-jerseyed hero to bare-faced cheat, he carried the air not of a top-class athlete staring down the barrel of ruination but of a wonder-struck schoolboy let loose for the day in the crazy, crazy world of grown-ups.

"I am looking forward to the hearing, delighted that finally I have the chance to put my case," Landis said before the US Anti-Doping Agency arbitration panel met to decide whether or not he should be banned for providing a positive "A" sample for testosterone on July 20, the day he rallied to win stage 17 of the 2006 Tour - a ride described by some observers as one of the greatest in the race's history.

Landis's carefully nuanced case against the methods employed by the French laboratory responsible for the positive test was submerged by a soap opera subplot involving his former manager and a plot to blackmail the former tour champion Greg LeMond, who was due to give evidence for Usada. The cyclist who pleads his innocence has become a target of contempt in recent years, not least because many of the "innocent" have subsequently been exposed as cheats. Landis is aware of this lineage but affects not to care that it now potentially includes his name.

"Before all of this happened I used to put more energy and time into caring what people thought about me but the truth is I'm not going to convince everybody," he says. "What people think of me personally is meaningless at this stage. They can think what they like. All I care about now is that the next guy who comes along gets the chance to defend himself. As the system stands, an accused person has no chance of proving he is innocent."

As with his generalised pleadings of innocence, it is easy to dismiss this apparent concern as self-serving claptrap. But the charge is harder to pin on Landis than might be thought, not least because he has put his money where his mouth is. The bill for defending himself over the last year stands at $2m (£1m) and is rising. Usada's arbitration panel will deliver its verdict later this summer but, assuming it rules against him - as most people, including Landis, are - he will take the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

"Most of the money I made as a bicycle racer has gone to the lawyers. By the time we're done every penny will be gone," he says with the matter-of-fact tone of an experienced blackjack player facing up to a bad night at the tables. "Do I think it's been worth it? Yes, regardless of the result. It is not in my personality to take something like this and not defend myself. Athletes have walked away in the past because they didn't have the resources or the energy to stand up to Usada and Wada [World Anti-Doping Agency] and this laboratory in Paris. What people do not realise is these organisations make mistakes but they cover up those mistakes to protect themselves. That's completely unacceptable so, whatever it has cost me personally, of course it has been worth it."

Landis's lawyers spent endless hours at Pepperdine debating the methods used at the Châtenay-Malabry laboratory outside Paris, which delivered the positive result on Landis's "A" sample, as well as four positive "B" sample results. Most of the detail was incomprehensible to a lay person. Far clearer and more compelling was their insistence that the current procedures for dealing with so-called drugs cheats in sport fall short of standards of natural justice that apply in civilian life.

Even the mild-mannered Landis can muster up a degree of anger against those who leak drugs test results - "they might as well just set up an open fax line to L'Equipe newspaper" - against the cycling world's hierarchy - "a bunch of clowns" - and against **** Pound, the head of Wada, who wrote a newspaper column after the positive test urging him to "come clean" and confess - from Landis's viewpoint a bit like the supermarket security guard telling the shoplifter to 'fess up before he has even examined the contents of his bulging pockets. "Pound is just a loud mouth who just likes to see his name in the paper," Landis says of Wada's esteemed chairman.

But, if Pound has some explaining to do, so too does Landis, not least about his own conduct in the aftermath of last summer's events which struck some people as less plausible than they might have expected from an innocent man. Shifty and evasive were two of the milder adjectives that were flying around.

"When news of the positive test came to me I knew how the system worked, I knew it would be kept confidential until we could figure out what the deal was. And that's exactly what happened - it turned up in L'Equipe and the next thing you know I was guilty as charged. The fact is I hadn't even been given details of the test results. I didn't know what was in them. So not only did I not know why I was being accused, I didn't really know what I was being accused of."

But what of his apparent docility under questioning, not to mention his various explanations of what might have caused his positive result, ranging from a natural high level of testosterone to his imbibing a large amount of whisky the night before stage 17?

"People think I should have got angrier. I don't know what to say to that. It was a more stressful time in my life than I can ever remember and people react differently in those kinds of situations. I was angry. But I wasn't angry at the press or the people I was talking to. I was angry at those who had caused it to happen. As for the various explanations, I didn't know what had caused the positive test. In the circumstances all I could do was give people details of what I had been doing the day before in the hope there might be something in there," he says, although as those words come out he seems to sense their inadequacy. "The truth is I didn't know what to say. But I couldn't just hide, could I? There was no place to go."

With the Usada arbitration hearing behind him and his fate still undecided, Landis now finds himself staring into a wide horizon of uncertainty. In the short term he has a book, Positively False, to promote and he expects to be in London next week for Le Grand Départ

"I'm a cycling fan at the bottom of it all. Despite the people who are in charge, it is still my friends out there racing their bikes," he says dismissing the suggestion he is intent on embarrassing the race director, Christian Prudhomme, who said last month that Landis's name would be erased from the tour's records. "What is he going to do - sell videos of the race with a black spot over me?" Landis sneers. "How's that going to work?"

This month Landis came 36th in a mountain bike race in Denver, putting paid to the suggestion that he intended to return to his roots as a mountain biker. As for his career on the roads, he sounds like a man whose energies have been utterly spent.

"Why would I want to go back and deal with the people who are running the sport? As I said, they are clowns," he says before coming as close as he has ever come to announcing his retirement from the sport. "If I never race again I am proud of my cycling career. I made it all the way to the top and not many people can say that. Everybody's career ends sooner or later and, if that it how it has to be, then so be it. I have been one of the lucky few."

After Roid Landis' confession of witness tampering and yellow tie/black tie judgment switch on the morning of Greg Lemond's testimony my opinion of him changed:

BEFORE the Will Geoghegan cell phone threat, I believed Landis to be a typical Lance Armstrong alumni drug cheat and liar.

AFTER the public disclosure of the Geogehan crime and confession by Landis of his complicity in it, along with his written DPF threat to Greg, I modified my opinion to; Roid Landis being a low-life scum bag, trash talking coward of a man as well as a multiple confirmed drug cheat.

I am no longer surprised his ex-friend and father-in-law David Witt was shot in the head on August 16, 2006.

UCI Roid Landis or WWE Chris Benoit are both steroid addicts with major personal problems of family death and empty doping denial.

I hope he is LIFETIME banned from all Olympic sport very soon.

Doctor.House said:
I am no longer surprised his ex-friend and father-in-law David Witt was shot in the head on August 16, 2006.
This is one of many instances where you've suggested that the death of FL's father-in-law wasn't really a suicide, and that somehow it was tied to FL's doping use. What specific scenario are you suggesting, and what is it based on? Please don't respond by rattling off a stream-of-conciousness list of people and organizations connected to doping. Tell us exactly what you think happened and the rationale on which you base such conjecture.

limerickman said:
I don't think that we will be seeing Landis competing again to be honest.
I am not so sure. Landis has never done anything else but race bikes. It will be hard to transition to a real job. In a few weeks he will be able to think that he only needs to hold out for another year and he'll be able to race again.

At the very least he could race domestically and probably make decent coin. The big problem with racing in Europe is that there has been a sudden change in the acceptability of doping over the last couple of years. There will be a lot of race directors who won't want him at their races. It might be difficult for him to race on a Pro Continental team.

He could go back to racing mountain bikes. I don't know how much money there is in that. The sport of MTB seems to have fallen on hard times, especially in the U.S. It reminds me of what happened to triathlon.

fbircher said:
This is one of many instances where you've suggested that the death of FL's father-in-law wasn't really a suicide, and that somehow it was tied to FL's doping use. What specific scenario are you suggesting, and what is it based on? Please don't respond by rattling off a stream-of-conciousness list of people and organizations connected to doping. Tell us exactly what you think happened and the rationale on which you base such conjecture.

Pehaps you believe alien beings murdered Chris Benoit (WWE) family as well? Or Mariet Timothy Ford's family (Cal football star). Or OJ Simpson's ex-wife.

You remember, the creatures that tainted Roid Landis's urine samples.

Dr. Plumb in the lab must be involved.

Or perhaps Roid Landis had a motive too, eh? Or is Roid only a witness tampering thug of a fool?

Connecting dots is so challenging for certain fans.

Doctor.House said:
Pehaps you believe alien beings murdered Chris Benoit (WWE) family as well? Or Mariet Timothy Ford's family (Cal football star). Or OJ Simpson's ex-wife.

Didn't they? Well those aliens told me they did - I'll never trust them again.

Floyd's retiring is he - cycling will never be the same again.

ps - I like your "Roid" Landis - hehehehehehe:D :D :D :D :D :D

I heard Floyd started the war in Iraq, does he has family ties wih Saddam? ;)

Doctor.House said:

You remember, the creatures that tainted Roid Landis's urine samples.

Dr. Plumb in the lab must be involved.

Or perhaps Roid Landis had a motive too, eh? Or is Roid only a witness tampering thug of a fool?

Connecting dots is so challenging for certain fans.

This is the fall-out from Armstrong's drug culture.... Armstrong is safe.... he has been nestling away 20million a year and can live comfortably regardless of the amount of drug allegations that come his way.... poor old Floyd would have been better served to fess up take the two years and be signed up again (US team or Pro Cont)..... but this way he's got nothing left absolutely nothing.... he shouldn’t have taken Armstrong's advice in shutting up shop.... the problem with beginning the lie is that you never know when to stop... well you can't stop........ I guess we'll see a really fat Floyd on the TV show "where are they now" in 10 years pumping gas in some backwater... oh dear what a fool…

Bro Deal said:
I am not so sure. Landis has never done anything else but race bikes. It will be hard to transition to a real job. In a few weeks he will be able to think that he only needs to hold out for another year and he'll be able to race again.

At the very least he could race domestically and probably make decent coin. The big problem with racing in Europe is that there has been a sudden change in the acceptability of doping over the last couple of years. There will be a lot of race directors who won't want him at their races. It might be difficult for him to race on a Pro Continental team.

He could go back to racing mountain bikes. I don't know how much money there is in that. The sport of MTB seems to have fallen on hard times, especially in the U.S. It reminds me of what happened to triathlon.

WBT I know you don't like Armstrong but this is rubbish, the doping culture is not made by Armstrong. Armstrong wasn't even born when the doping culture was already around....

whiteboytrash said:
This is the fall-out from Armstrong's drug culture.... Armstrong is safe.... he has been nestling away 20million a year and can live comfortably regardless of the amount of drug allegations that come his way.... poor old Floyd would have been better served to fess up take the two years and be signed up again (US team or Pro Cont)..... but this way he's got nothing left absolutely nothing.... he shouldn’t have taken Armstrong's advice in shutting up shop.... the problem with beginning the lie is that you never know when to stop... well you can't stop........ I guess we'll see a really fat Floyd on the TV show "where are they now" in 10 years pumping gas in some backwater... oh dear what a fool…

cyclingheroes said:
WBT I know you don't like Armstrong but this is rubbish, the doping culture is not made by Armstrong. Armstrong wasn't even born when the doping culture was already around....
Agreed. Sorry what I was trying to say that Floyd was the sort of guy who probably would have fessed up to what happened at Phonak and USPS.... he would have saved himself and his career...... Armstrong obviously got to him and told him to "zip it" and keep the omerta..... now look where Floyd is now ? He probably thought the sales from his book would go someway to compensating him for the monies spent living the lie and some more.... but Floyd has been in the media for over a year now and we are all sick of it... why would anyone want to buy a book to hear it all over again ? even if you believed he was innocent you wouldn't want to buy the book........ I prefer to listening to Greg LeMond's whinging than Floyd's !

My thoughts:
LA supported Floyd financially, he wanted to destroy LNDD reputation and to clear his 6 positive samples!
Without this supporting, Floyd should have a better live now. Maybe he has ever a good insurance, some good pictures from LA ...:rolleyes:

whiteboytrash said:
I agree with you. That's why Basso (at least partially) confessed, and not just because he was a DNA test was imminent. He said after his recent CONI hearing that he had become trapped by his lies. Floyd has listened to the wrong people and dug himself into a hole he may never climb out of. His Tour performance last year was great to watch, but some fools find WWF wrestling great to watch. I think there may be something amiss with his test results but he had so many lies he couldn't vindicate himself without revealing another lie. (i.e. I didn't use a testosterone patch at the Tour as they say - but the testosterone they found was a trace from blood I extracted during a training period before the Dauphine). Let's just hope he does have those pics of L.A.'s blood bag carrying moto and he can maybe earn himself a half decent pension.

Rolfrae said:
I agree with you. That's why Basso (at least partially) confessed, and not just because he was a DNA test was imminent. He said after his recent CONI hearing that he had become trapped by his lies. Floyd has listened to the wrong people and dug himself into a hole he may never climb out of. His Tour performance last year was great to watch, but some fools find WWF wrestling great to watch. I think there may be something amiss with his test results but he had so many lies he couldn't vindicate himself without revealing another lie. (i.e. I didn't use a testosterone patch at the Tour as they say - but the testosterone they found was a trace from blood I extracted during a training period before the Dauphine). Let's just hope he does have those pics of L.A.'s blood bag carrying moto and he can maybe earn himself a half decent pension.
Good point.... I did read somewhere that his book contradicts actual events.... ie He writes that once he found out that Will Gregoron (or whatever he's name is) made the call he sacked him..... but we all know Floyd was in the room when he made the infamous call to LeMond..... he only sacked him he it turned into a slow motion car accident and he went into damage control....

.....I always said Landis will confess and I think he will...... give it 6-18 months when Landis hits the bottle bigtime and his marriage falls apart and he gets fat that he will tell all.... of course Armstrong and everyone else will say Floyd is bitter but then the photos ! Fark ! He'll get $200,000 for those ! maybe more in the European press....... I'd hang onto those very tightly.....

whiteboytrash said:
Good point.... I did read somewhere that his book contradicts actual events.... ie He writes that once he found out that Will Gregoron (or whatever he's name is) made the call he sacked him..... but we all know Floyd was in the room when he made the infamous call to LeMond..... he only sacked him he it turned into a slow motion car accident and he went into damage control....

.....I always said Landis will confess and I think he will...... give it 6-18 months when Landis hits the bottle bigtime and his marriage falls apart and he gets fat that he will tell all.... of course Armstrong and everyone else will say Floyd is bitter but then the photos ! Fark ! He'll get $200,000 for those ! maybe more in the European press....... I'd hang onto those very tightly.....
The Will Guigenheim (or whatever) episode was the nail in the coffin for a lot of those wavering undecided over Landis' guilt. You're right, he sacked him because of public opinion and not because of what he did. Before the telephone call Landis was also on the Daily Peleton forums threatening Lemond - unless of course Will Gregorianchant (or whatever) had signed in on his behalf. Maybe Floyd could get in some training and apply for next year's Celeb Big Brother? Can you imagine how many copies of his book he'd sell in Europe if he really went to town and spilled the beans on USPS/Phonak etc? Maybe we should get onto the DP forums and start bandying some figures about, try and tempt him? Hey Floyd! I reckon that book would make you a millionaire five times over.

cyclingheroes said:
I heard Floyd started the war in Iraq, does he has family ties wih Saddam? ;)

Don't let him off that easily. What about his dealings with Global Warming.
Damn Amish and their farting horses! :D

I have been forming a plan! I think we can have a race with retired and suspended cyclist and it will be a hell of a lot more exciting than what is to remain to compete in the peloton.

jhuskey said:
I have been forming a plan! I think we can have a race with retired and suspended cyclist and it will be a hell of a lot more exciting than what is to ramin to compete in the peloton.
And as a side-show, a Crufts dog show with all their codename pooches.

Rolfrae said:
And as a side-show, a Crufts dog show with all their codename pooches.
This is the point... the entire thing has become farcical.... we can only joke about it because it has become a joke... the sooner Landis disappears from our landscape the better....... especially for Global warming....

"When news of the positive test came to me I knew how the system worked, I knew it would be kept confidential until we could figure out what the deal was. And that's exactly what happened - it turned up in L'Equipe and the next thing you know I was guilty as charged. The fact is I hadn't even been given details of the test results. I didn't know what was in them. So not only did I not know why I was being accused, I didn't really know what I was being accused of."

He's still lying about this, the first time his name was released was in a Phonak press release after he went awol for those crits.

jhuskey said:
Don't let him off that easily. What about his dealings with Global Warming.
Damn Amish and their farting horses! :D

I have been forming a plan! I think we can have a race with retired and suspended cyclist and it will be a hell of a lot more exciting than what is to remain to compete in the peloton.
Are you still looking for sponsors?