Landis loses appeal to AAA...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crankyfeet said:
Aouhhhh!!! So THAT"S the Chewbacca defense. Thanks Spock. How could I miss that episode. I've seen some of 'em like 5 times as repeats on CC.
If Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor, then Landis cannot be guilty.:D

thoughtforfood said:
If Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor, then Landis cannot be guilty.:D
Here is an interesting quote from Wikipedia on the Chewbacca Defense:
"Criminologist Dr. Thomas O'Connor says that when DNA evidence shows "inclusion", that is, does not exonerate a client by exclusion from the DNA sample provided, "About the only thing you can do is attack the lab for its (lack of) quality assurance and proficiency testing, or use a 'Chewbacca Defense' …and try to razzle-dazzle the jury about how complex and complicated the other side's evidence or probability estimates are."[4] Forensic scientist Erin Kenneally has argued that court challenges to digital evidence frequently use the Chewbacca Defense per se, in that they present multiple alternative explanations of forensic evidence obtained from computers and internet providers to raise the reasonable doubt understood by a jury. Kenneally also presents methods that can be used to rebut a Chewbacca Defense.[5][6] Kenneally and colleague Anjali Swienton have presented this topic before the Florida State Court System and at the 2005 American Academy of Forensic Sciences annual meeting.[7]"

Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, the USADA's attorney would certainly want you to believe that Landis used testosterone to win the 2006 Tour de France. And they make a good case. Hell, I almost felt for it myself! But, ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is testosterone. Testosterone does not have a one day effect. You would have to take testosterone the whole Tour to improve your performance. But Landis tested positive only once. Once I tell you. Now think about it; that does not make sense!

Here is another thing to consider: Why did the LNDD leak the results to the press. If the lab technicians at the LNDD were well trained then why would they leak the results? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major sports star, and I'm talkin' about press leaks! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If the results were leaked, you must acquit! The defense rests

Bro Deal said:
Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, the USADA's attorney would certainly want you to believe that Landis used testosterone to win the 2006 Tour de France. And they make a good case. Hell, I almost felt for it myself! But, ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, I have one final thing I want you to consider. Ladies and gentlemen, this is testosterone. Testosterone does not have a one day effect. You would have to take testosterone the whole Tour to improve your performance. But Landis tested positive only once. Once I tell you. Now think about it; that does not make sense!

Here is another thing to consider: Why did the LNDD leak the results to the press. If the lab technicians at the LNDD were well trained then why would they leak the results? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major sports star, and I'm talkin' about press leaks! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If the results were leaked, you must acquit! The defense rests
Just think, they could have said that, and spared us the Greg Lemond drama completely.

The testosterone argument is kind of like the inverse relationship between pirates and global warming:

"You may be interested to know that global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s. For your interest, I have included a graph of the approximate number of pirates versus the average global temperature over the last 200 years. As you can see, there is a statistically significant inverse relationship between pirates and global temperature."

http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/

This **** is scary. I mean it.

Bro Deal said:
It spun right into the ludicrous as his team questioned why _any_ cyclist would take testosterone. The Chewbacca defense then gave way to the Big Lie strategy as they put out press releases that were flat out distortions of new events in the case. Ultimately they fell back on the baffle them with ******** ploy while firing up supporters with outrage about ahtletes' "rights."
Good stuff Bro. It still amazes me how some people eat this **** up. I must say of all the newsgroups I read this one is the best for having a minimum of dumbasses.

Yeah a pro cyclists would never use T! Then how come the drug raids and confessions always indicate they do use it? It's as ubiquitous as HgH, EPO, and corticosteroids.

And it was so painfully obvious the way Landis was spinning everything. I don't know how people can be so easily duped.

Frigo's Luggage said:
The testosterone argument is kind of like the inverse relationship between pirates and global warming:

"You may be interested to know that global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s. For your interest, I have included a graph of the approximate number of pirates versus the average global temperature over the last 200 years. As you can see, there is a statistically significant inverse relationship between pirates and global temperature."

I just posted a reasonable response over at Rant Your Head Off (Landis apologists) and it was deleted within 2 minutes. Guess you cannot have an opinion counter to their denial. Cowards.

Frigo's Luggage said:

Has anyone bought or read the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster? I keep thinking I should buy a copy.

Wayne666 said:
Good stuff Bro. It still amazes me how some people eat this **** up. I must say of all the newsgroups I read this one is the best for having a minimum of dumbasses.

Yeah a pro cyclists would never use T! Then how come the drug raids and confessions always indicate they do use it? It's as ubiquitous as HgH, EPO, and corticosteroids.

And it was so painfully obvious the way Landis was spinning everything. I don't know how people can be so easily duped.
Well, I think we know how cyclingnews.com feels about the Landis baloney. Did you guys catch the photo they used of him along with the news story? He looked like some kind of devious leprechaun!

nns1400 said:
Well, I think we know how cyclingnews.com feels about the Landis baloney. Did you guys catch the photo they used of him along with the news story? He looked like some kind of devious leprechaun!
He does not look that bad. He looked worse as he glared at witnesses during the arbitration.

Dang, I really liked Landis. Honestly, I still like him and would like to see him race again. I don't think it will happen with the current environment. Judging by the PB100 and the SM100, it looks like he will have a future in endurance MTB racing.

meehs said:
Oh sure! Poor Oscar Pereiro. A deserving champion, robbed of his moment in the sun. Certainly OP was clean and is deserving of the TdF title. There's certainly no evidence linking good ol' OP to doping. :rolleyes:

One doper sues another for robbing him of his rightful spoils. Oh the irony.

Yeah, fair call.
My post should have read "the real loser is the first non-doping member of the peloton in 2006 - whoever that is" but I wanted to put a name to it.
If your knowledge of doping is so good you might be able to tell us who it is. I've given up trying to figure it out. Irony indeed. :rolleyes:

Bro Deal said:
Has anyone bought or read the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster? I keep thinking I should buy a copy.
No. But my team has the FSM and pirate fish discretely displayed on our jerseys. We actually asked permission from the FSM guy to do it. It was sort of our tongue in cheek response to the proliferation of Jesus fish on kits in our neck of the woods and the IC3 guys that put temporary tatoos of the cross on their legs for races. Nothing wrong with either of those. We just chose to go the FSM route. Very few people have asked about the noodley appendage.

Frigo's Luggage said:
No. But my team has the FSM and pirate fish discretely displayed on our jerseys. We actually asked permission from the FSM guy to do it. It was sort of our tongue in cheek response to the proliferation of Jesus fish on kits in our neck of the woods and the IC3 guys that put temporary tatoos of the cross on their legs for races. Nothing wrong with either of those. We just chose to go the FSM route. Very few people have asked about the noodley appendage.
Uh, do you really want people asking about your noodly appendage?? :p

Bro Deal said:
The reply would then be along the lines of :-

Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, what my learned collegue Mr Bro Deal fails to add to his statement that whilst it is true that Mr Landis did only test positive once to a ratio above 4:1 testosterone/epitestosterone, which contained a synthetic testosterone and also that taking testosterone once is of little benefit.

As Mr Bro Deal kindly points out to us that for the true benefit you need to be taking testosterone throughout the whole period of the Tour De France. What was discovered through testing Mr Landis other 'B' samples taken over various stages of the Tour De France that those samples whilst being within the 4:1 testosterone/epitestosterone allowed ratio that those samples did in fact contain a synthetic testosterone. This then proves that Mr Landis was in fact taking testosterone throughout the whole period of the Tour De France.

The prosecution would like to thank the defence by Mr Bro Deal for pointing out that requirement.

:p

bannerrefugee said:
I feel sorry for him.
Kimmage said they were all victims. I think that hits it right on.
When the chips are down you need mates like Lance..... LOL ! House of cards ?

VANCOUVER, Canada (AFP) — Lance Armstrong deflected questions regarding the decision to strip disgraced American cyclist Floyd Landis of the 2006 Tour de France title following a positive drug test.
Armstrong, a seven-time Tour de France winner, told The Vancouver Province newspaper on Sunday that he has no comment because he no longer follows the competitive cycling on a daily basis.

"I would love to answer that question but unfortunately I'm out of that business," Armstrong said. "I only have the ability to focus on one thing at a time."

A US arbitration panel last week stripped Landis of his 2006 Tour de France title by upholding an earlier positive drug test.

Armstrong, who was in Vancouver to raise money to fight cancer, said cycling matters are "just a distraction for me."

"I'm here to fight cancer. I haven't looked online. I still love the bike and ride all the time but on the competitive side I'm just not engaged," Armstrong said.

I can still recall the incredulity of the commentators and (and indeed) myself when Landis - who looked completely shattered and was sweating profusely the previous day - went out and rode the rest of the peloton off his wheel.

I told, I think it was Davidbob on that very evening, that the outcome to stage 17 of the 2006 TDF, would resonate for years.

whiteboytrash said:
When the chips are down you need mates like Lance..... LOL ! House of cards ?

VANCOUVER, Canada (AFP) — Lance Armstrong deflected questions regarding the decision to strip disgraced American cyclist Floyd Landis of the 2006 Tour de France title following a positive drug test.
Armstrong, a seven-time Tour de France winner, told The Vancouver Province newspaper on Sunday that he has no comment because he no longer follows the competitive cycling on a daily basis.

"I would love to answer that question but unfortunately I'm out of that business," Armstrong said. "I only have the ability to focus on one thing at a time."

A US arbitration panel last week stripped Landis of his 2006 Tour de France title by upholding an earlier positive drug test.

Armstrong, who was in Vancouver to raise money to fight cancer, said cycling matters are "just a distraction for me."

"I'm here to fight cancer. I haven't looked online. I still love the bike and ride all the time but on the competitive side I'm just not engaged," Armstrong said.

Quel surprise.

The number of his ex-team mates busted, increases.
Heras, Landis, Hamilton ................

limerickman said:
Quel surprise.

The number of his ex-team mates busted, increases.
Heras, Landis, Hamilton ................
And competitors.......
Riis, JU, Zabel, Basso,and the riders on Fuentes list.
Let's add Vino, Richard V............The list grows.

wolfix said:
And competitors.......
Riis, JU, Zabel, Basso,and the riders on Fuentes list.
Let's add Vino, Richard V............The list grows.
You listed the "those man enough to confess" - Lim's list was "those who have been busted but too scared to confess aka pissweak men"........... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.