Landmark..sorta big..

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by davis_e74, Sep 15, 2005.

  1. davis_e74

    davis_e74 Guest

    Wee bit of a story for you guys. For the longest time (which isnt
    actually that long) I've been wanting to ride my uni to school and back.
    Never quite knowing if I could make it distance wise, and since I didn't
    have a place to put it in the school, I never tried. But, recently my
    Bio teacher decided it would be ok if I could put it in his classroom
    throughout the day while I was at school. Now I had a place to put it,
    and the nagging urge to uni to school slowly ate me away till I finally
    did it today.

    Quite awesome I must say. Didn't know if I could make it distance wise
    (I'm not very atheletic, but I did ok) Quite a big landmark. And of
    course I was greeted with the "whoahs" and "do you actually ride that
    thing?". I'll probably use it as my main mean of transportation to
    school now, as it doesnt cost gas, and it's faster than a car, due to
    the massive traffic jam after school that happens everyday. I guess its
    my first step into the long-distance uni world.

    Thought I'd just share that with you guys.

    --
    davis_e74 - uni uni uni uni uni uni coker coker
    davis_e74's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10403

  2. steveyo

    steveyo Guest

    Great job! Keep it up!

    --
    steveyo - Last will be first

    steveyo

    "I complained I need new shoes, until I met a man with no feet." -
    unknown

    "Do whatever steps you want if
    you have cleared them with the pontiff"- Tom Lehrer

  3. manu2015

    manu2015 Guest

  4. cool

    --
    carsonpalooza - www.oddtodd.com

    I'm jealous:(
    I just wear bike shorts...* the tight kind*
    I think it really does help with performance.
    I like your hair. You look like my friend.
    Good luck finding a working pirate
    That site is making me drool.
    Edit... next time, post something like this in JC, and a string of
    question marks does not constitute a title.
    I was drooling over all those spools.
    -Dave aka fcwegnm0b

    carsonpalooza's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10085

  5. davis_e74

    davis_e74 Guest

    I ride a 26" wheel. The school isnt far at all, I don't know exactly how
    far, its a 15 minute walk. I lost all my leg muscles when I didn't bike
    for 5 years, that's why I can't go very far.

    --
    davis_e74 - uni uni uni uni uni uni coker coker
    davis_e74's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10403

  6. cegli

    cegli Guest

    Very cool. I also just started riding my coker to school every once and
    a while. I've done it three times this year so far (about once every 4
    days).

    Its about 4 miles, and the ride to school is really easy, but the way
    back is rediculous. I have to do it on a major commerical road, and
    there are tons of cars, and its uphill the first 3.5 miles. I always
    think I'm going to die at about 3.2 miles. Definently worth it when I'm
    not to tired in the morning though.

    --
    cegli - Slowly Getting Better (Sorta)

    I like to unicycle.
    cegli's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10585

  7. One on one

    One on one Guest

    davis_e74 wrote:
    > *I lost all my leg muscles when I didn't bike for 5 years, that's why
    > I can't go very far. *

    Maybe they're with your other wheel.

    --
    One on one - Founder and member of GUA

    "However, like the jet pilot, if the Coker rider tries to turn too fast,
    he/she could black out."
    -Memphis Mud

    I went further than I had planned and had a testicle break at about 25
    ks
    -onebyone

    One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740

  8. I used to ride a 19" trials uni 2.1 miles to school and 2.1 back every
    day. That was kinda annoying, except rarely people would complain when I
    was late. There were two BIG and steep hills between me and school, so
    the 19" or 24" was better than a coker. Also, there was a park with a
    few good muni and trials lines next to school, so i'd jump around a bit
    before heading home.

    Last year I rode to school and work on a 700c roadbike, until I finally
    cracked the cranks, dented the frame, snapped the seat, and trashed the
    rear hub. now I ride a 26" junker MTB. I could be on a unicycle, but
    it's a waste of time.

    I hate to blasphemize, but when there's a very long, nice DH from work
    or school with no intersections, a bike spanks a unicycle for fun,
    relaxation and speed any day. With a few minor exceptions, riding a
    unicycle on paved flats for transportation is a waste of time.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Nick's main man.

    "I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
    there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

  9. mango

    mango Guest

    gerblefranklin wrote:
    > *I used to ride a 19" trials uni 2.1 miles to school and 2.1 back
    > every day. That was kinda annoying, except rarely people would
    > complain when I was late. There were two BIG and steep hills between
    > me and school, so the 19" or 24" was better than a coker. Also, there
    > was a park with a few good muni and trials lines next to school, so
    > i'd jump around a bit before heading home.
    >
    > Last year I rode to school and work on a 700c roadbike, until I
    > finally cracked the cranks, dented the frame, snapped the seat, and
    > trashed the rear hub. now I ride a 26" junker MTB. I could be on a
    > unicycle, but it's a waste of time.
    >
    > I hate to blasphemize, but when there's a very long, nice DH from work
    > or school with no intersections, a bike spanks a unicycle for fun,
    > relaxation and speed any day. With a few minor exceptions, riding a
    > unicycle on paved flats for transportation is a waste of time. *

    You, Bevan, Outa the pool! haha. Go be a party pooper somewhere else!

    Ive started coker commuting to and from work. It was a little rough at
    first. But now i look forward to it every day! Its a great start to the
    day and a great reward after work.

    Plus its nice to have cars full of chicks honking and shouting sexual
    stuff at you! :D

    --
    mango - unity - as 1 stand together

    *Neener, neener, neener. *-harper
    mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

  10. rupert

    rupert Guest

    I used to ride to university every day on my 28". It was about 2.5 miles
    each way, had a tough hill to climb on the way in and took roughly 20
    minutes. I found the advantage was in knowing how long my journey would
    take, whereas the buses were always a bit variable, so you'd have to set
    off earlier in order to be sure of getting in at the right time. Also,
    the activity of unicycling kept me warm so I didn't need to wear a coat.
    (I remember when I walked in, covered in snow, in a T-shirt. I shook my
    head and loads of snow fell off on the floor. It must have been quite a
    picture, because the security guard forgot to ask for my ID!) Next term,
    I'll have less far to go and a Coker to do it on. I don't think it'll be
    as much fun.

    And as for bikes vs. unicycles, going uphill I've overtaken lots of
    cyclists, although only for them to come whizzing past me on the
    downhill part.

    --
    rupert
    rupert's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10819

  11. I think it's hard to make a case for unicycles as practical transport
    over bikes. OK, they can sometimes be quicker up certain hills if the
    gradient is just right for the wheel size, but on any real-life journey
    I reckon a unicycle will always be considerably slower than a bike
    ridden by the same rider (I know a fast unicyclist could beat a slow
    bicyclist, but that's not a fair comparison).

    If I want to get to work quickly I ride a bike. If I unicycle it takes
    me three times as long - actually not quite fair because I'm comparing 8
    miles of road on a road bike with 9 miles of cross-country on a 26x3
    unicycle, so perhaps I could do it a bit faster on the road on a 29er or
    Coker, but still I don't believe I could get near my time on the bike (I
    don't in my wildest dreams think I could average high-20s mph over that
    distance on a unicycle).

    But I do often ride the unicycle to work because it is MORE FUN. Maybe
    it's just because I haven't been unicycling for so long as biking, but I
    find the journey much more enjoyable on the unicycle. To me that's what
    draws me to ride it, not the practicality.

    Keep using the unicycle to get to school davis_e24, it's great fun and
    quicker than walking, but don't expect it to be as quick as a bike.

    --
    rob.northcott - Speed Freak (apparently)

    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
    skydive twice

  12. I wasn't arguing with you Rupert, I agree with what you said. I was
    just making the point that the decision to ride a unicycle rather than a
    bike for a particular journey isn't usually for practical reasons - it's
    usually for the fun factor.

    Regarding getting the cycle out and storing at the other end, in my case
    it actually takes longer with the unicycle because I wear pads and wrist
    guards that take time to put on - on the bike I just wear a helmet
    (well, not JUST a helmet obviously, but you know what I mean). The bike
    or uni is kept in a garage at home and a locked room at work, so I don't
    need to mess about with locking it up. My journey is pretty much a
    sprint across Dartmoor - not much traffic and certainly no traffic
    lights - so the ultmate speed of the vehicle makes all the difference.
    I can see what you're getting at about town journeys though - although
    it's pretty easy to walk with a bike if you get stuck in traffic or want
    to cut through a pedestrian area.

    My 26" muni IS a practical form of transport over that distance (I would
    only ride the 20" that far as a joke) but just not as good as a bike in
    most ways - except fun :)

    --
    rob.northcott - Speed Freak (apparently)

    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
    skydive twice

  13. cegli

    cegli Guest

    For me, besides my car, my unicycle is the only practical form of
    transportation. There is no way they'd let me walk a bike into my
    school and store it in a teacher's room. Plus I'd never want to wake up
    earlier to ride a bike. Thats really boring and tedious. Its just not
    really fun.

    --
    cegli - Slowly Getting Better (Sorta)

    I like to unicycle.
    cegli's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10585

  14. davis_e74

    davis_e74 Guest

    I'm not about to use my unicycle any time soon for fast transportation,
    then I'd just take my bike or drive. But it's great for getting to my
    school cause its all flat ground on the way there (and back) and I have
    a huge amount of time to get there due to me leaving so early to get to
    school. This is great, cause I can just enjoy the ride.