Landrider Bicycle

hikerk

May 10, 2004
I saw an infomercial for the Landrider Auto Shift bicycle. I haven't ridden a bicycle for over 30 years since I was a kid. Would anyone recommend this bicycle for someone who has not exercised much and wants to get back into bicycling again after such a long time?

Would it be better to get something such as the Trek 7100 hybrid bicycle?

Originally posted by hikerk
I saw an infomercial for the Landrider Auto Shift bicycle. I haven't ridden a bicycle for over 30 years since I was a kid. Would anyone recommend this bicycle for someone who has not exercised much and wants to get back into bicycling again after such a long time?

Would it be better to get something such as the Trek 7100 hybrid bicycle?

I would definitely stick with the Trek 7100. It's a much, much higher quality bike and you won't have problems getting it serviced later on. The landrider people make several claims that are extreme exaggerations, shifting is not as difficult or distracting as they claim. If you last rode a bike 30 years ago you may not be away of it but bicycle shifting technology has come a long ways since then. The Trek 7100 is equipped with index/grip shifters which makes it much easier to shift than bikes from 30 years ago.

Dan.

Yeah, they're really are junk. I used to be a mech at a bike shop (now defunct) that used to carry the Autobike, which is the Landrider in a previous life. The bike weighed 42lbs (yeah, REALLY LIGHT like they say in the infomercial). The back wheel alone weighed NINE lbs.:eek:

It's unbelievable how gullible people are. If you don't know how to shift gears you're better off getting a SINGLE SPEED bike than one of these POS's.

3speedfan said:
Yeah, they're really are junk. I used to be a mech at a bike shop (now defunct) that used to carry the Autobike, which is the Landrider in a previous life. The bike weighed 42lbs (yeah, REALLY LIGHT like they say in the infomercial). The back wheel alone weighed NINE lbs.:eek:

It's unbelievable how gullible people are. If you don't know how to shift gears you're better off getting a SINGLE SPEED bike than one of these POS's.
A Nine Pound Back Wheel!!!:eek:

I thought a 3 LB wheel was heavy:(

The Landrider is still selling on infotelevision. I notice that they never demonstrate the bikes on hills. One pound of weight off of your wheels is equal in performance to three pounds off of your bike. Nine pound wheels on an already heavy bike will kill you.

I saw the infomercial at four in the morning when i still couldn't go to sleep. It made tons of ridiculous claims. It showed three people on a hill, the hill was steep, think san fransisco steep. it had a girl on the land rider, a guy on a standard decent roadbike, and a guy on a mountian bike. it showed her easing her way up the hill, still sitting down. and the two guys sweating like crazy trying to make it up. the claims were ridicoulous, like "shifting is dangerous and inconveinent". dont waste your money on junk that uses technology that im not sure has been so proven in todays competitive market.