lands end to john ogroats

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [email protected], Feb 21, 2006.

  1. I'm going to do the above sometime this spring/early summer! I cannot
    wait...I would do it now if there was enough daylight. I've looked
    into some information, routes etc and am going to do the
    shortest...does anybody know of a resource for youth hostels/b&bs etc?
    or any quieter route variants?

    cheers

    stew

    Tags:

  2. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I'm going to do the above sometime this spring/early summer! I cannot
    > wait...I would do it now if there was enough daylight. I've looked
    > into some information, routes etc and am going to do the
    > shortest...does anybody know of a resource for youth hostels/b&bs etc?
    > or any quieter route variants?

    The CTC are your friends here.

    www.ctc.org.uk

    ...d

  3. vernon levy

    vernon levy Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm going to do the above sometime this spring/early summer! I cannot
    > wait...I would do it now if there was enough daylight. I've looked
    > into some information, routes etc and am going to do the
    > shortest...does anybody know of a resource for youth hostels/b&bs etc?
    > or any quieter route variants?

    The CTC has a publication which lists several routes depending on whether
    you want to use B&B, youth hostels or a scenic route. It is free to members
    and around a fiver to non members. There is no defnitive route as such but
    if you are wanting to do the shortest, you are very likely to be using some
    nasty busy roads.

    As a rather porky rider, I discovered that any placename that included
    Bridge or Ford in its name usually involved a descent and a climb, usually
    nasty especially in Devon and Cornwall. Exford Bridge was the worst of the
    lot! Every rider will have his/her own interpretation of what constitutes
    easy/quiet/flat/busy/dangerous.

    I quickly gave up on trying to create a hybrid route composed of the best
    bits of other folks routes and planned my own route using a Philips road
    atlas. One thing worth knowing is that the Severn Road Bridge has a cycle
    path over it and the route from Chepstowe to Monmouth through the Wye Valley
    is stunningly pretty. Ok two things worth knowing are.. Tintagel Abbey is
    awesome and the cafe at the Old Tintern Station has the best choice of cakes
    that I've ever encountered anywhere. Ok that makes it four things worth
    knowing......

    enjoy the experience

    I did.

  4. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I'm going to do the above sometime this spring/early summer! I cannot
    > wait...I would do it now if there was enough daylight. I've looked
    > into some information, routes etc and am going to do the
    > shortest...does anybody know of a resource for youth hostels/b&bs etc?
    > or any quieter route variants?

    I think you'll find that shortest route and quieter variant are not
    really compatible.

    If you're interested in seeing your name in the Audax UK results table
    you can ride it as a permanent and score 14 points, either as a Brevet
    de Randonneur in 116 hours, which is difficult, or more leisurely in 7
    daily rides at not less than 15kph average speed. There's also a 14 day
    version that doesn't score points.

    Even if you're not interested in doing it as an Audax you can find some
    useful stuff including a suggested route at
    <http://www.candflangdon.co.uk/perm.php>.

    Good luck with it,

    --
    Dave...

  5. John B

    John B Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > I'm going to do the above sometime this spring/early summer! I cannot
    > wait...I would do it now if there was enough daylight. I've looked
    > into some information, routes etc and am going to do the
    > shortest...does anybody know of a resource for youth hostels/b&bs etc?
    > or any quieter route variants?

    THE CTC can provide a number of routes - £12.50 or free to members, so if
    you are not a member it certainly makes joining worthwhile as you'll
    receive all the other benefits too.
    See:
    http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3397

    There is a mass of information of others' rides and experiences on:
    http://www.bikereader.com/e2e.html

    ......which of course includes our own modest ride:

    http://jpbdesign.net/EndtoEnd.html

    I rode with my 14 year old daughter KJ and we mixed camping, youth
    hostels and the occasional B&B. The route was very roughly planned using
    1:250,000 maps which we found an ideal compromise between scale and
    weight. We then planned each day's exact route the previous evening and
    set an approximate stopping area for the evening.
    The route was a mix of minor and 'B' type roads, with tea and cakestops
    being a high priority :)

    Having the tent was perfect in that we had no pressures to meet any
    pre-booked accommodation.
    On finishing we spent a few days on the Orkneys, which I'd highly
    recommend if you have the time. It made a great wind-down to the elation
    of finishing at J'OG.

    It is a great ride to do, - just look on it as a fortnight's tour (or
    whatever time you choose). You will see so many different areas and meet
    many many people who will want to talk about this uniquely British
    'Thing' of the E2E. It also helped develop my daughter's independence
    enormously and she now goes off all over the place with the confidence
    the ride gave her - she went off to Thailand the following year and
    tomorrow she's off to Prague - huh - while I'm stuck here :-(

    By completing it you will have achieved one of the Great Rides available
    in the UK and its something you will always remember. When my KJ finished
    the first thing she said was 'Can I do it again?'

    Good luck,

    John B