Lane Cove to North Sydney - Suggestions for cycle commute?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Dave_h, Aug 17, 2003.

  1. Dave_h

    Dave_h Guest

    It looks like I will be moving soon to Lane Cove (in Sydney). I will be working at North Sydney
    (opposite the train station).

    I'm hoping to start cycling to work. Can anyone suggest a route to follow in order to do this?
    Starting around the Lane Cove shops and ending near North Sydney train station. Im aware that it is
    a hilly area.

    My preference is cycleways (if any exist), avoid riding on busy peak roads (ie the Pacific highway)
    unless I have no other option and avoiding the worst of the hills if possible.

    Many thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Andy Simpson

    Andy Simpson Guest

    There is no way to avoid hills and traffic. River Road combines the worst of both, so you will
    almost certainly have to ride on the Pacific Highway at some point.

    Try this:

    Longueville Road, to Epping junction (cars are immobile in the morning) Straight over Epping road
    (when lights allow) First right (Kara St) Where road bends left, use short cycle path to get onto
    Burley St Up hill to the highway, right along pavement (de-facto shared route) Cross lights to get
    onto city-bound Pacific Highway. This is T3 pretty much all the way to North Sydney - there is a
    fair bit of cycle traffic on it. The only 3-into-2 merge has a cycle lane (its a different story on
    the way back).

    There is a back-streets option from St Leonards - if you cross the highway at the station, then you
    can go along back streets to North Sydney, to the South of the highway, emerging on the corner of
    Mount Street/Pac Highway, near where you work.

    Christie St, onto Nicholson St, cross cycle XING to continue along it Sinclair St (note
    contra-flow cycle way, for use on return trip) Right down Rocklands Left onto Morton Left up Crows
    Nest Road then immediately Right on McHatton, round bend then right down bike path by the school
    and left on Bay Road, over zebra crossing and right on Edward, left down Mount & you should pop up
    in the right place.

    On the way back, its much the same - on the back route you can skip more lights at St Leonards
    before getting onto the highway.

    The Pacific Highway between St Leonards and Lane Cove has a couple of appalling lane squeezes - a
    lot of less confident riders use the pavement here. The one after Greenwich Road is really bad.

    The ramp off the highway onto Epping Road is bad and usually choked up - depending on where you live
    and what bike you ride, you may want to dive off to the left early - one of the really steep side
    roads has a series of three bumps which are great for mountain bike launches.

    That's probably too much detail. See you on the way.

    Andy

    "Dave_H" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It looks like I will be moving soon to Lane Cove (in Sydney). I will be working at North Sydney
    > (opposite the train station).
    >
    > I'm hoping to start cycling to work. Can anyone suggest a route to follow in order to do this?
    > Starting around the Lane Cove shops and ending near North Sydney train station. Im aware that it
    > is a hilly area.
    >
    > My preference is cycleways (if any exist), avoid riding on busy peak roads (ie the Pacific
    > highway) unless I have no other option and avoiding the worst of the hills if possible.
    >
    > Many thanks.

  3. Dyno

    Dyno Guest

    either the pacific highway or even the freeway. depending on the time you actually leave u probably
    will be faster than the cars on the freeway going to north sydney, vice versa on the way
    home..personally i would keep river road my last option. Pacific highway isnt that hilly anyway..
    "Dave_H" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > It looks like I will be moving soon to Lane Cove (in Sydney). I will be working at North Sydney
    > (opposite the train station).
    >
    > I'm hoping to start cycling to work. Can anyone suggest a route to follow in order to do this?
    > Starting around the Lane Cove shops and ending near North Sydney train station. Im aware that it
    > is a hilly area.
    >
    > My preference is cycleways (if any exist), avoid riding on busy peak roads (ie the Pacific
    > highway) unless I have no other option and avoiding the worst of the hills if possible.
    >
    > Many thanks.

  4. maurice

    maurice New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2003
    there's a bike path that weaves from lane cove shops to wollstencraft statation on to north sydney. it's not exactly th straightest route but has been designed to avoid main roads and be as flat as possible in a hilly area. Check the RTA bicycle maps.

  5. Andy Simpson

    Andy Simpson Guest

    "maurice" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > there's a bike path that weaves from lane cove shops to wollstencraft statation on to north
    > sydney. it's not exactly th straightest route but has been designed to avoid main roads and be as
    > flat as possible in a hilly area. Check the RTA bicycle maps.

    Its a shocker - despite the good intent, it is pretty steep and it spews you out onto River Road
    near Greenwich, rather than anywhere useful.

  6. maurice

    maurice New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2003
    the cycle route intersects river road - you cross river road at the intersection at the crest of the hill, or just before it, and head on to Wollstencraft station via predominantly quiet back roads and shared path. then its on to north sydney largely via surburban streets in wollstencraft. Its certainly not a straight nor flat route but it certainly has a hell of a lot less traffic than the pac. hghway.
    On an objective basis, its a joke of a "bicycle route" but we are talking about Sydney here, and more specifically north sydney, which seems particularly incapable of establishing any safe and relatively enjoyable bike routes.

  7. Arpit

    Arpit Guest

    RTA bicycle maps? where might I aquire such tomes?

    On 19 Aug 2003 09:13:19 +0950, maurice <[email protected]> wrote:

    >there's a bike path that weaves from lane cove shops to wollstencraft statation on to north sydney.
    >it's not exactly th straightest route but has been designed to avoid main roads and be as flat as
    >possible in a hilly area. Check the RTA bicycle maps.

  8. maurice

    maurice New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2003

  9. Andy Simpson

    Andy Simpson Guest

    "Arpit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > RTA bicycle maps? where might I aquire such tomes?

    They are available on the RTA web site www.rta.nsw.gov.au - follow your nose once you get there,
    they are pretty easy to find. They don't have the whole of the route maurice mentioned (ie they
    aren't up to date), but the price is right.

    Andy

  10. Andy Simpson

    Andy Simpson Guest

    "maurice" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > the cycle route intersects river road - you cross river road at the intersection at the crest of
    > the hill, or just before it, and head on to Wollstencraft station via predominantly quiet back
    > roads and shared path. then its on to north sydney largely via surburban streets in wollstencraft.
    > Its certainly not a straight nor flat route but it certainly has a hell of a lot less traffic than
    > the pac. hghway. On an objective basis, its a joke of a "bicycle route" but we are talking about
    > Sydney here, and more specifically north sydney, which seems particularly incapable of
    > establishing any safe and relatively enjoyable bike routes.

    I'll give it a whirl - thanks for the update.

    I think the back-street route (almost, but not quite, as signed by the bike route) from North Sydney
    to St Leonards isn't too bad - they've even put in a bike ramp for the path by the side of the
    primary school.

    Andy

  11. Peter Barlow

    Peter Barlow Guest

    "Arpit"
    > RTA bicycle maps? where might I aquire such tomes?

    Telephone the RTA & they will post them out to you.

    Ask for the full set, there are at least 10 of them to cover all of Sydney. There are also ones
    which cover the Illawarra, Central coast, Newcastle & some regional centres if you are likely to be
    riding outside Sydney.

    As others have said they aren't necessarily up to date but the price is right and they are a good
    start for you to do your own exploring.

    Peter

  12. Andy Simpson

    Andy Simpson Guest

    "Andy Simpson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "maurice" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > the cycle route intersects river road - you cross river road at the intersection at the crest of
    > > the hill, or just before it, and head on to Wollstencraft station via predominantly quiet back
    > > roads and shared path. then its on to north sydney largely via surburban streets in
    > > wollstencraft. Its certainly not a straight nor flat route but it certainly has a hell of a lot
    > > less traffic than the pac. hghway. On an objective basis, its a joke of a "bicycle route" but we
    > > are talking about Sydney here, and more specifically north sydney, which seems particularly
    > > incapable of establishing any safe and relatively enjoyable bike routes.
    >
    > I'll give it a whirl - thanks for the update.
    >
    > I think the back-street route (almost, but not quite, as signed by the
    bike
    > route) from North Sydney to St Leonards isn't too bad - they've even put
    in
    > a bike ramp for the path by the side of the primary school.
    >
    > Andy

    post-whirl report:

    mmm, that really is quite hilly, its a pretty sweaty commute. The signposting is good apart from
    into and out of Smoothey Park. It took about 10 minutes longer than the Pac. Highway (35 v between
    18-25), although I did lose the trail at one point.

    LateToWork of Lane Cove

  13. Spencer Rook

    Spencer Rook Guest

    [email protected] (Dave_H) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm hoping to start cycling to work. Can anyone suggest a route to follow in order to do this?
    > Starting around the Lane Cove shops and ending near North Sydney train station. Im aware that it
    > is a hilly area.

    If cycleways are what you are after then aim towards Artarmon station, cross under the rail through
    the foot tunnel into Burra Road. Follow Burra Road up to Artarmon Reserve, around the reserve, under
    the Expressway, then Grandview Street and Olympia Road gets you to Flat Rock Gully (basically follow
    the blue bike signs). This brings you out onto Dawson Street, keep going. You'll have to bump down a
    few steps but this is normal for a Sydney cycle route;-) Go up the hill that's Quarry Street, then
    up Palmer Street, right turn into West Street and follow this straight to N Sydney. It's not exactly
    a direct route (probably about 8k), but from Artarmon onwards it gets quite nice. Enjoy!